The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-17-2003, 10:37 AM   #1
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Angry Need some fuel line help!!!

Let me explain the situation. I have a dual fuel line mechanical pump on the block. The line to the return line was leaking before and I fixed it by blocking off both the pump line and the valve line. Well today coming home I smelled fuel vapor and got home to hear a PSSSSSSSTTT sounds coming from under the hood. After searching the supply line is leaking this time right under the motor mount No way to repair line so time for a new line. I'll have to remove the header and maybe the inner fender but that's about all I can take off. I'll replace the lines with one supply line and do totally away with the return line. Now here's my problems:

1. I'm going to install the new line on my first day off this week so I need to find out what the existing fuel lines are being held in by.

2. I'm thinking I'll stay with steel lines for the long run unless I should change to something else?

3. 3/8" size right?

4. I have already replaced the rubber lines so no need there. What do I need to hold the new line in place with?

5. Anything else I'm missing?

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 11:55 AM   #2
LOHRTBT
BeWarE tHe eViL CrAnkTOe!

I would think you could just unbolt your fuel pump and crawl around to pull the line out??? Maybe not..your saying your hard fuel line is spraying fuel by the motor mount??? OUCH! Man I just thought about how its set up.
I would go with the same type line as well..have you checked yards??? those lines are not cheap unless you bend it yourself.

3/8 is right for the line I believe. I think you should be able to find the same type connectors at the store.

Good luck! and dont smoke!! lol

- 1986 Chevy SWB - Stock for now
- 1986 Chevy Custom SWB *Stolen 6/26/05*
- 1985 Chevy SWB SOLD
- 1999 T/A Some mods
www.cardomain.com/id/ramairdave

AIM Screenname - Jester84
LOHRTBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 07:06 PM   #3
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Brandon,

it looks to me like you answered your own questions, pretty good. All I want to know is how did you get a hole in a steel fuel line, under the motor mount, anyway? Do you think maybe it rusted or something when it was in the pasture? I would go back with steel lines all the way to the pump. If I were redoing mine, I would go with stainless hard line, but this in mucho dollaro. The regular steel lines will do the job just fine. They should have them at any auto parts store, or at least be able to get them for you. Shouldn't be too expensive either. They will come with the ends flared and the tube nut already on. Of course you could buy straight pieces and flare/bend your own. This is a lot of work unless you are like Jeff, with the cab off.

Oh, one more thing, I think you just set a record in a single post, saying the word line.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 07:09 PM   #4
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

LMAO Mike

Yeah I was thinking about getting some straight lines like that at the stores. I've got a bender, cutter and flare tool so no problem there. I think it was a combination or age, and me pulling on teh return line one time. So how are they connected to the frame?

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
Old 03-18-2003, 03:52 AM   #5
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

^

Old 03-18-2003, 04:18 AM   #6
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

they're connected to the frame with a clamp and bolt und er the motor mount. the clamp is kinda P shaped, and really a PITA to get to. might be a good time to get the wife under the truck adn get her dirty ( ), as she's prolly got smaller paws than you do.
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 04:36 AM   #7
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Can I just pull it out by force? I know the brake line is with the lines by the valve. If I pull the lines out will this affect the brake line?

Old 03-18-2003, 09:20 AM   #8
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Looks like it might be time to remove the motor mount. I don't think you will be able to pull them out. I wouldn't risk it myself.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 10:27 AM   #9
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Just a thought but could I cut the line before the mount then pull through the clamp? Then cut the flared end off and run the new pipe through it then reflare the end? If not then what's the best way to take off the motor mount?