The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-17-2013, 08:52 AM   #1
WadmalawJoe

Valve cover issue

I will post a picture later, but the problem is my drivers side valve cover hits on the exhaust manifold. The valve covers are edlebrock but very cheap chrome ones. The flange is to wide. The previous owner ground a little off and so have I. Even the spreader hits so I ground that a little. The !@%&** thing still leaks. I guess I know the answer, new better covers.... but I hate to spend money on a better covers if I have to grind them to fit as well.
I have taken the drivers side off 3 times to fix the leak. I pride myself on my valve covers, I've never had one of mine leak. So this one is pissing me off.

Another thing I noticed is the breather assembly is leaking as well. There is enough pressure to push oil through the filter and leak, not bad, but enough to leave a trail on the valve cover. The drivers side just has the one hole with the breather that you remove to pour oil in. The passenger side has the pcv valve with one hole only for that. I think my next valve covers will have two holes on each side if possible, one for a breather and one for a pcv, so I can run a double pcv set up.

My youngest son and I picked up a 69 Chevy C-10 on 1/7/22, this is my second 69, it was 10 years ago that I had my other one. So I知 back!!!
WadmalawJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:55 AM   #2
Scott>72-GMC

Re: Valve cover issue

Big or small block????
Posted via Mobile Device
Scott>72-GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:02 AM   #3
WadmalawJoe

I guess that might help, its a 350.

My youngest son and I picked up a 69 Chevy C-10 on 1/7/22, this is my second 69, it was 10 years ago that I had my other one. So I知 back!!!
Old 01-17-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
Scott>72-GMC

And your running the stock exhaust manifold? That doesn't make much sense is that the only valve covers you have tried?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-17-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
Lee H

Looking forward to the picture.
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:42 AM   #6
Scott>72-GMC

Yes very much so I'm scratching my head
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-17-2013, 10:19 AM   #7
hayhauler71

maybe the manifold has been milled a few times and now is to close to the valve cover?
Old 01-17-2013, 10:33 AM   #8
RexDodge

What gasket? They make a thick cork gasket that you could try...if you haven't done that yet. As for the oil through the breather, how fresh is this engine? Some will say the baffling is cheap. I run the same valve cover and they give me no problems.
Posted via Mobile Device
RexDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:02 PM   #9
WadmalawJoe

Some pictures

My exhaust manifolds are different from each other, maybe I am wrong but look at my pictures.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #10
WadmalawJoe

I measured the spacing between the head and the manifold and both sides measure the same, but clearly something is out.

Drivers side

Passenger side has at least a little space the whole way

Old 01-18-2013, 11:16 AM   #11
WadmalawJoe

ttt

Old 01-18-2013, 11:27 AM   #12
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Maybe that manifold was warped and surfaced alot. Also try thick cork gasket and leave the silicone out of the picture, I have found it can cause a wick effect. I know you had it off and have probably checked but make sure the head drain holes are clear and draining good

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:48 PM   #13
WadmalawJoe

I have never had good luck with just straight up cork gaskets. I have never tried the thick ones though.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:10 AM   #14
dlh760

I don't know if you've tried or not but you might want to see if swapping valve covers side to side makes any difference. I know it shoudn't but it actually did make a difference on mine when I put my engine together. The valve covers would only fit right on one head each. Strange but it worked. Hth,Dan.
Posted via Mobile Device
68 Chevy c10 longbed 307 with 305 H.O. heads,edelbrock performer intake,edelbrock performer plus cam,hei,Holley 650 double pumper and th400. Daily driver. It hauls butt,it hauls my butt where I need to go
dlh760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:30 AM   #15
WadmalawJoe

I'm probably going to have to buy new covers, this last time I siliconed the cover straight to the head in one of those I'll show you! moments.. So it will probably get trashed just trying to get it back off..
What is weird is the flange along the top is notched from the factory. So if they were put on upside down the notch might work. I think the notch is there for the intake, I read some guys had problems with covers and intakes, but I have a edelbrock performer intake and it sits lower along the head. So no issues on that side.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:48 AM   #16
WadmalawJoe

Update!
I bought new valve covers, the Edelbrock Elite ones they are a thick cast aluminum ones with the ribs on top.
Using my grinder I carefully ground the bumps on the exhaust manifold back enough to have better clearance.
Then I used the thick cork gasket and black rtv and let it cure overnight.
The next day I drive it probably 60-70 miles and still get a oil dripping on the exhaust smell!
I had cleaned everything really well so I
knew it wasn't leftover residue, plus with driving as much as I did that would've burned off and the smell got worse throughout the trip.
I look the covers over and its that same driver's side back corner!! A little stream of oil was creeping down from the corner where the cover and head meet. So I made the time to re-do the gasket again yesterday. I pull the cover off, which was stuck on very well I might add and notice it was nice and dry all the way around the lip of the head. So it finally dawns on me that its not the valve cover leaking at all!!!!
I did some more cleaning and inspecting of the head in that back corner area and find a hairline crack about a quarter inch below the lip!!! The first time I replaced the cover gasket I noticed all kinds of rtv smeared back there and each of the 3 times that I replaced the gasket I cleaned more and more of it off as it was not a easy spot to get to and so in turn I was unknowingly cleaning the crack out more and more each time!!! (I used a dremel with a wire brush bit, cleans off rtv like a champ!!!)
So what I have done now is cleaned that corner up really good both inside the lip and out. I used brake cleaner to clean it really well as it doesn't leave a residue. Then smeared black rtv back into the crack and over it. I'm thinking it should be fine since the crack is up in the very top portion of the head. I will drive it some today and see. I will update again later whether it holds again or not.