The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-27-2004, 10:34 AM   #1
Tims72blazer

Ptiman/Steering Arm?

I've read a few of the posts on changing steering or pitman arms to correct for a lift. I have a 4 inch lift on my 72 K5. The person who owned my blazer before put the lift on it and not the steering corrections. My power steering box started to slip a few weeks back so I replaced it. I figured it went bad from the added stress of the steering angle. Now I would like to put in the corrected steering/ pitman arm. I am having trouble finding one without buying the whole lift kit. I was wondering if anybody knows were I can get one? Thanks in advance for your help.

Tim
Tims72blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 04:19 PM   #2
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Go to www.offroaddesign.com and see if their site lists one. I know they can get you either an adjustable drag link that will do what you need (that is what I had to use) or they can get you either the correct steering arm or pitman arm.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 01:38 PM   #3
Tims72blazer

Yukon Jack thanks for the info.
Tim
Old 05-31-2004, 03:03 PM   #4
meathead95
computer illiterate

www.roughcountry.com has them
Old 05-31-2004, 05:21 PM   #5
3wbdriver

Hey Tim. I put a Skyjacker 4" kit in mine about 6 weeks ago, including a steering correction arm (on the knuckle). The corrected arm caused a RADICAL bump steer. I put the stock arm back in, and exchanged the steering arm for an offset draglink. I would try the draglink first, as the offset only changes the bind angle on the ball joints, not the length or geometry. I drove this beast for 15 years with a Rough Country 4" lift and stock draglink, no problem. But it did develop some slack in the Pitman arm. I'm hoping to replace that with another stock angle unit eventually. If you look at another post in here about suspension lifts, I got really long winded about the geometry changes the lift kits do to these particular systems. I mean I got RELIGIOUS about it after the change it made on me. If you want the whole, longwinded version, I can pm, or email you. Just trust me, don't get the raised arm!!!!!

It's a BLAZER dude! No options, no emblems, no a/c, no fancy shmancy. It's a BLAZER....
3wbdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 04:11 AM   #6
BLAZERFAN

I'm pretty sure you don't have to modify with the steering arm on a four inch. But you will have to have an adjustable draglink. That's all I have in both of mine One a '70 the other a '72 and I have no troubles. New adjustable draglink a little over seventy bucks from lmc truck.
BLAZERFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 10:39 AM   #7
Tims72blazer

Thanks for the help I will try the adjustable drag link
Tim
Old 06-23-2004, 07:00 PM   #8
3wbdriver

Offset adjustable draglink

Sorry it took so long. Just got it installed last weekend. You can see how it would relieve angle stress on the balljoints. The only problem I had, was it has to be adjusted with at least one end loose. I think I have to take one more turn out to get my steering wheel straight. But that's a minor hiccup to me. This is a Skyjacker unit, on a 4" lift, with vehicle weight on the axle.

Attached Images

It's a BLAZER dude! No options, no emblems, no a/c, no fancy shmancy. It's a BLAZER....

Last edited by 3wbdriver; 06-23-2004 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:24 PM   #9
jamie72

3wbdriver
i got that same arm on mine,and i can turn the wheels lock to lock when the front is on jacks,but on the pavement it lacks about 1inch on eack side...
is that normal??
and how did you adjust yours??
btw i got the raised steering arm(on axle) and this,with an 8in lift.
thanks jamie

member #807

http://www.myspace.com/whitetailobsession
www.antlertalk.com
jamie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 10:11 PM   #10
3wbdriver

Hey jamie. I think it has something to do with the lift making the steering have to throw farther. Until I did all this my steering wheel was at about 2 o'clock on the column. I had full throw to the left, but about a half turn less to the right. Now I seem to have lost a little left, but gained back some right throw. So I'll take the happy medium.
I still have an ever so slight bump steer under hard spring compression, but under normal conditions the only feedback I get is under braking, when the front end dives slightly. It pulls the wheel just a touch to the left, but it is so slight I've learned to anticipate it.. I'm loving the ride, but I can't throw it around the corners like I could with the Rancho kit in it. I have to drive it like it's a 4 x 4 again.
As to adjustment, I set the front end as straight as possible, jacked it up, popped the old draglink off, then centered the steering wheel. Then I just kept adjusting and test fitting until it looked right. I still need to take one end loose again, and take one more turn out for perfect center. I think the raised steering arm (knuckle) on a 6"+ lift is a good idea. But at 4" or less it screws up the geometry.

Last edited by 3wbdriver; 06-23-2004 at 10:17 PM.