The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-25-2012, 02:11 AM   #1
C30trailerspecial

msd street fire HEI

Im considering updating the points ignition in my 79 C30 350 to an MSD street fire HEI, whatta you guys think??
C30trailerspecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:02 AM   #2
THE "10" SILVERADO

Re: msd street fire HEI

Why do you have points on your 79? GM went to HEI on these trucks in like 74. Anyways, some people here will say they are junk while others say they are good. I have one in my 77 and it seems fine so far; I have yet to have any problems. That's just my experience so far, I could have gotten lucky and gotten a good unit.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:13 PM   #3
INSIDIOUS '86

My freind got one. It was a good distributor till the module went out a year later. But still was nice to tune for his engine
Posted via Mobile Device
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:23 PM   #4
C30trailerspecial

my truck is an aussie assembled one, right hand drive and a very basic model, nuthin fancy. even though its an 81 it has a 79 front, its just the way they were down here.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:20 PM   #5
Firebirdjones

I run alot of MSD stuff, namely their multi spark digital control boxes, billet distributors etc...and I've never had a single hickup with any of that stuff.

However I decided to keep the stock HEI in my 79 even though I'm really not a fan of the HEI at all, and when the 502 went in I bought the MSD kit (coil/module/cap/rotor) with a built in adjustable rev limiter.

The first year was fine, till either the module or coil started acting up. Backfiring and sputtering, then dieing at an intersection. It started back up, then would seem to be fine for a few miles before doing it again. I replaced the coil and module with the original 33 year old stuff and it cleared up.

MSD has a 1 year warranty and I was within a week of the purchase date Told them my issue and what I did to fix it. They warrantied the entire package, sent me all new stuff and I put it all back in.

Truck has been fine ever since (about 4 months now) But if it acts up again I'm ditching the whole HEI deal and going with the tried and true MSD billet (small cap) distributor with a digital control box and be done with it.

HEI's just don't like heat, and any car with an HEI you can bet I carry a spare coil and module in the glove box.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:42 PM   #6
Zane M

On a stock motor, I don't know that using the MSD would really bring enough gain to justify the cost.
We put the MSD HEI in our AMC 401 to upgrade the pathetic system AMC used in '77.
Within 5,000 miles(roughly 2 years), the module went belly up and we replaced it with a stock GM unit and all is good.
Zane M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:06 AM   #7
C30trailerspecial

seems the general concencus here is they are a good thing but the modules stuff out after about a year and should be replaced with the genuine GM one...

I feel Im going to give one a go so I'll keep yall posted