The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-10-2004, 01:49 PM   #1
67chevemall

What makes the click????

Hello

I just bought a 79 C-20 and the shifter moves with no nothing!
just floats around!
It looks like some linkage is missing down on the frame?
67chevemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 02:29 PM   #2
Russell
Professional Grade

Yeah, there should be a linkage that hooks up to the side of the transmission. I can get you pictures if you need em
Old 11-10-2004, 02:53 PM   #3
mckpaul

What makes it "click" is inside the tranny. If you had all the linkage disconnected from the tranny and rotated the shaft that sticks out where the linkage connects with your hand, you would feel the clicks as it goes into each gear. If your linkage is connected to the tranny and it rotates the shaft going into the tranny when you move the shifter but doesn't click, sounds like you'll be pulling the pan to see what fell apart. But since you say it looks like linkage is missing down on the frame, sounds more like something came loose outside the tranny. Near the tranny where the linkage connects, there is a connection where a rod slides through a piece with hole that has a set screw so you can tighten down the set screw where ever you need to on the rod. I know that sounds kind of vague, but it's easy to find. In reality there is only one right location for it to tighten up to where things are lined up, but allows you to put the shifter in the Park postion, assemble things and rotate the tranny shaft to Park as it slides down the rod and then tighten it once it's in place. My guess is that the set screw has come loose where it slides along the rod.

Hope it ends up being that easy for you... but you know how Murphy's law works...

1984 Chevy C-10
*LWB/305*
mckpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 03:14 PM   #4
mckpaul

BY THE WAY, set the parking brake or chock the wheels before laying there halfway under the truck and disconnecting the linkage and rotating the shaft on the tranny taking it out of Park. If you're on any kind of incline, the truck WILL roll.

Don't ask me how I know this, but if you're on a slight incline, like a driveway that slopes down a little toward the street, without the parking brake set, you will become a human chock behind the front tire if you take it out of Park. Not a big deal on a mild incline, you just have to reach up and rotate the shaft back to the Park position, but that WILL get your attention and make you climb out from under there in a hurry!

1984 Chevy C-10
*LWB/305*
mckpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 09:47 PM   #5
67chevemall

RUN!!!
I guess I'll look at it closer to see what is missing!
It isn't the click inside the tranny!
Something has to move with the linkage?
Park to drive should click and rub!
67chevemall is offline   Reply With Quote