The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-02-2014, 09:55 PM   #1
pbajwabb

Where does coolant go?

Stupid question and most of you are aware that I am an aircooled vw guy - no alternator!

Anyways I have a new dodge and there is an obvious coolant tank but where the heck is it on the 69 c10?

I dont know if I am an idiot or if its missing.

Also, it looks like I am missing a hose from my radiator, is this normal?

God I feel stupid for asking
pbajwabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:59 PM   #2
BMERDOC

Re: Where does coolant go?

Straight into the ra didy ator. You don't have an overflow tank. BTW, your pics didn't show up.
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:05 PM   #3
pbajwabb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMERDOC View Post
Straight into the ra didy ator. You don't have an overflow tank. BTW, your pics didn't show up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by litew8 View Post
All we have are coolant reservoir tank overflow bottle. There should be a hose going from (just below) the radiator fill > into the overflow tank. You cannot link to images that are inside of your email account btw. There is no such thing as a stupid question.
Thanks for the tip and I will get those photos re-uploaded now..
Old 04-02-2014, 10:08 PM   #4
litew8

Quote:
69's don't have the tank?
Old 04-02-2014, 10:00 PM   #5
litew8

All we have are coolant reservoir tank overflow bottle. There should be a hose going from (just below) the radiator fill > into the overflow tank. You cannot link to images that are inside of your email account btw. There is no such thing as a stupid question.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:10 PM   #6
pbajwabb

Name:  photo 2.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  35.3 KB

Name:  photo 3.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  35.5 KB

Name:  photo 4.JPG
Views: 299
Size:  94.9 KB

These are the correct orientation on my macbook and I am very computer literate so I have no stinkin clue why these always come up crooked.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:14 PM   #7
litew8

Not sure why that tank is on the driver's side. A hose should run from the 1st pic to the 3rd. The bottle should be on the passenger side of truck though?
The middle pic, you are missing the heater hoses (manifold and water pump).
Old 04-02-2014, 10:17 PM   #8
BMERDOC

I can't tell you whether or not 69's had an overflow tank or not. I don't see how they could given the lack of room in that area. I see too many retrofits to believe that any of them had a stock overflow tank. My 67 just has a drip tube. The one pic shows the nipple that the drip tube attaches to. The other two pics show that your heater core isn't hooked up and that bottle is for windshield washer fluid.
Easiest Alignment Ever!
Old 04-02-2014, 10:25 PM   #9
pbajwabb

Quote:
I can't tell you whether or not 69's had an overflow tank or not. I don't see how they could given the lack of room in that area. I see too many retrofits to believe that any of them had a stock overflow tank. My 67 just has a drip tube. The one pic shows the nipple that the drip tube attaches to. The other two pics show that your heater core isn't hooked up and that bottle is for windshield washer fluid.
Does the heater core do anything besides put heat into the cab?

Im in So Cal and this is my project car so if it wont hurt the car to run without it Ill wait to replace it.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:29 PM   #10
FirstOwner69

Quote:
I agree!

As far as I know, none of the 67-72 trucks had an overflow tank from the factory as standard equipment. A tube should run down the back of the radiator tank from the barb shown in picture 1. In fact, there should be a clip part way down the passenger side tank on the radiator to retain the tube and, if I recall correctly, a small hole in the inner fender for the end of the tube to pass through. The tank on the driver side of the core support is the windshield washer tank which was placed in that location during the 1st few years of this body style. The radiator should be filled only within about 3 inches of the top to prevent overflow. The original radiators had this level marked on the tank.

The hoses from the heater should run from the intake (5/8") and from the side of the water pump (3/4"). You don't need the heater as long as the intake and water pump ports are plugged.

Last edited by FirstOwner69; 04-02-2014 at 10:35 PM.
FirstOwner69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:36 PM   #11
pbajwabb

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 View Post
I agree!

As far as I know, none of the 67-72 trucks had an overflow tank from the factory as standard equipment. A tube should run down the side of the radiator from the barb shown in picture 1. In fact, there should be a clip part way down the passenger side tank on the radiator to retain the tube and, if I recall correctly, a small hole in the inner fender for the end of the tube to pass through. The tank on the driver side of the core support is the windshield washer tank which was placed in that location during the 1st few years of this body style. The radiator should be filled only within about 3 inches of the top to prevent overflow. The original radiators had this level marked on the tank.

The hoses from the heater should run from the intake (5/8") and from the side of the water pump (3/4"). You don't need the heater as long as the intake and water pump ports are plugged.
Would you happen to have a photo of these ports? I have no clue if theyre blocked or not.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:40 PM   #12
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbajwabb View Post
Would you happen to have a photo of these ports? I have no clue if theyre blocked or not.
I can look through my pics and post them if I find them. I don't think I have any detailed shots of the clip or the hole in the inner fender.

AND, to answer your actual question, the coolant goes directly into the radiator.

Edit: This is the only pic I can find, and it only shows the tube. Now that I look at the pic, I think the clip is on the side of the battery tray rather than the radiator. That is the original 4 row radiator on my 69... at least the tank is the original.
Attached Images

Last edited by FirstOwner69; 04-02-2014 at 10:56 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:38 PM   #13
BMERDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbajwabb View Post
Does the heater core do anything besides put heat into the cab?

Im in So Cal and this is my project car so if it wont hurt the car to run without it Ill wait to replace it.
Quote:
I agree!

As far as I know, none of the 67-72 trucks had an overflow tank from the factory as standard equipment. A tube should run down the side of the radiator from the barb shown in picture 1. In fact, there should be a clip part way down the passenger side tank on the radiator to retain the tube and, if I recall correctly, a small hole in the inner fender for the end of the tube to pass through. The tank on the driver side of the core support is the wind shield washer tank which was placed in that location during the 1st few years of this body style. The radiator should be filled only within about 3 inches of the top to prevent overflow. The original radiators had this level marked on the tank.

The heater core has almost EVERYTHING to do with heat in the cab. No more rusted heater channels! I'll assume its blocked off properly so if you don't have a need to heat the cab or defrost your windshield you are in good shape. IIRC, Firstowner69 explained correctly how to return it to stock. He was also dead on about the clip and hole in the rad support. I'm lazy though, I fill a radiator slam up and let it level itself! LOL!
Easiest Alignment Ever!
Old 04-02-2014, 10:42 PM   #14
unreconstructed1
nec absolutum

Quote:

Besides Paint and wheels, my '67 is as stock as the day it came off the showroom... I don't have an overflow tank, I just have an overflow tube that runs down to the bottom of the radiator... in '67 nobody cared if a few (million) trucks leaked a little antifreeze on the ground...

1967 GMC C1500 LWB 250/3 on the tree-
1969 Chevy C/10 SWB 350/TH350
1996 Chevy Silverado LWB 350/4L60E
1997 Chevy K2500 350/4L80E
unreconstructed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:44 PM   #15
BMERDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by unreconstructed1 View Post
Besides Paint and wheels, my '67 is as stock as the day it came off the showroom... I don't have an overflow tank, I just have an overflow tube that runs down to the bottom of the radiator... in '67 nobody cared if a few (million) trucks leaked a little antifreeze on the ground...
Easiest Alignment Ever!
Old 04-02-2014, 10:24 PM   #16
litew8

Crap, I totally forgot about windshield washer fluid My truck isn't completly assembled. I have a coolant overflow tank though, it's a 71'
Old 04-02-2014, 10:39 PM   #17
imjeff

Add an overflow tank to your passenger side fender or firewall. They allow the radiator to be full of water and this lack of air prevents corrosion. There are aftermarket tanks or you can find one in a wrecking yard...just make sure you have a cap and hose that pulls coolant (and expels air) to the bottom of said tank. The stock setup dumped directly on the ground on the passenger side of the rad.
67 Chevelle 396, 4 speed
74 FXE
08 Tahoe
imjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:45 PM   #18
litew8

nice hope fido doesn't lick it up
Old 04-02-2014, 10:57 PM   #19
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Properly filled they do not overflow.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:01 PM   #20
unreconstructed1
nec absolutum

Quote:
well, there's no worries there... the truck only gets started up every few weeks at the moment while I'm woking on my '96 and '97... Then I'll be putting brakes and new tires on her so she can be a garbage truck for awhile as I'll be working on the '69... then her day will come and she'll have an overflow tank then...

besides, it's not like the thing overflows every time it runs...

1967 GMC C1500 LWB 250/3 on the tree-
1969 Chevy C/10 SWB 350/TH350
1996 Chevy Silverado LWB 350/4L60E
1997 Chevy K2500 350/4L80E
unreconstructed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:59 PM   #21
litew8

They do if they overheat. Thus the name, overflow.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:20 PM   #22
FirstOwner69

Quote:
They do if they overheat. Thus the name, overflow.
Maybe I'm just lucky. I've driven my truck with a 2800# cab-over camper all over the western half of the U.S. up steep mountain grades, in 100+ degree temps with the A/C on and with a boat in tow behind the camper and never had it overheat. Most overflow is the result of a radiator filled to the top when there is no overflow tank. That overflow is merely the result of coolant expansion. However, a properly maintained cooling system is essential.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:35 PM   #23
litew8

Quote:
Maybe I'm just lucky. I've driven my truck with a 2800# cab-over camper all over the western half of the U.S. up steep mountain grades, in 100+ degree temps with the A/C on and with a boat in tow behind the camper and never had it overheat. Most overflow is the result of a radiator filled to the top when there is no overflow tank. That overflow is merely the result of coolant expansion. However, a properly maintained cooling system is essential.
Not sure about the luck. Things should remain calm in a maintained system. Unless of course things go wrong (oil pressure etc...) that would cause it to overheat.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:07 PM   #24
litew8

just saying. learn something new every day. I never knew the tank wasn't factory until today.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:31 PM   #25
litew8

I can't type all this out so I'll copy/paste.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/how-do...r-cap-work.htm

"a protective cap that’s actually a pressure valve and a tank on each side to catch the coolant fluid overflow."

"When coolant fluid overheats, it expands, causing the fluid to become highly pressurized. When it enters the radiator, the pressure increases even more because it’s in an enclosed space. The radiator cap acts as a release valve set to open at the maximum pressure point. Usually this is set at a density of 15 pounds per square inch (psi). When the fluid pressure inside the radiator exceeds 15 psi, it forces the valve open, allowing heat to escape and excess coolant fluid to overflow into the tanks on either side of the radiator."