The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-17-2008, 02:44 PM   #1
Old Chevy Mech
Keepin it runnin!

5th wheel set up on a wood bed?

Has anyone installed a 5th wheel setup in an 8' wood bed before? Just curious how it worked and if you did any extra reinforcing for it.

Thanks!

Frank

"Liberty Means Responsibility, that is why most men dread it"
Old Chevy Mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:08 PM   #2
c10addict

Re: 5th wheel set up on a wood bed?

The fifth wheel set ups I always run bolt mostly to the frame and the ball just sticks out of the bed floor... I have seen the ones that mount to the frame and the bed floor.... I would almost think the wood would be stronger in some ways if it was good wood...
54 GMC under the knife getting a S10 chassis swap and bagged. See my build thread...
07 GMC Sierra 5/7 drop, 22's and 24's Air ride on my mind..
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=339340

See pics of my trucks in my profile
c10addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:15 PM   #3
bwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by c10addict View Post
The fifth wheel set ups I always run bolt mostly to the frame and the ball just sticks out of the bed floor... I have seen the ones that mount to the frame and the bed floor.... I would almost think the wood would be stronger in some ways if it was good wood...
I believe that would be a gooseneck hitch (with the ball sticking up out of the floor).

To mount a fifth wheel, I wouldn't bolt anything to (or through) the wood bed floor. I'd reinforce the framerails and bolt the hitch frame directly to the frame. You'll probably have to cut a portion of the wood floor. If you go through the wood and it begins to rot (or contract), the fifth wheel mounting could loosen up.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:50 PM   #4
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

I've never seen a fifth wheel mount that wasn't bolted, or welded to the frame rails.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck

Last edited by El Jay; 06-17-2008 at 04:51 PM.
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 06:16 PM   #5
Olden Days
Living In The Past

Typically, heavy "L" brackets are bolted or welded to the frame and butt up against the bottom of the bed and bolts just pass through the bed into the L brackets. Since you have wood, find a pipe (not thin wall tube) that fits over your mounting bolts real nice close fit, cut them to length (thickness of your wood) and drill your holes in the wood large enough for the little pipes (now called crush sleeves) you made to fit in. That way when you tighten those mounting bolts the crush sleeves and bolts are taking all the pressure and not your wood. Your wood could completely fall out and it wouldnt matter because it is not being used to support any part of the hitch

Last edited by Olden Days; 06-17-2008 at 06:20 PM.
Olden Days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:08 PM   #6
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olden Days View Post
Typically, heavy "L" brackets are bolted or welded to the frame and butt up against the bottom of the bed and bolts just pass through the bed into the L brackets. Since you have wood, find a pipe (not thin wall tube) that fits over your mounting bolts real nice close fit, cut them to length (thickness of your wood) and drill your holes in the wood large enough for the little pipes (now called crush sleeves) you made to fit in. That way when you tighten those mounting bolts the crush sleeves and bolts are taking all the pressure and not your wood. Your wood could completely fall out and it wouldnt matter because it is not being used to support any part of the hitch
Very well put.
I wish I was as articulate.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:37 AM   #7
Old Chevy Mech
Keepin it runnin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olden Days View Post

I understand, thanks for taking the time to explain it. I am going to be replacing the wood and overhauling the bed and was planning ahead. I was even thinking of modifying the bed and where the goose neck goes, manufacturing a steel plate to take the place of the wood and having it a permanent fixture in the bed. That would be allot more work and it sounds like its not necessary.

Thanks again!
Frank

"Liberty Means Responsibility, that is why most men dread it"
Old Chevy Mech is offline   Reply With Quote