The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-29-2006, 07:40 PM   #1
Fastrucken

What should 5k buy me..

Ok second post here (I actually helped someone with the first one)and won't be the last!! I'm hoping you guys can help me and tell me if this is an ok deal..... I'm looking at a 67 short step small window, newly rebuilt 283, power steering, 3 in the tree, new paint which is an ok job not professional, new door/ window/ windshield seals and new carpet. It looks like the truck is over all solid however looks like th PO may have patched up some rust holes with some bondo on the passenger side rocker and floor pan (see pic). My intensions are for a daily driver (work is only 5 miles from the house) and not looking for a major reso project at the moment. The two major things i will probably do right away be a 700r4 and A/C and need to drop it some. I'm looking for your opinions and just making sure im not throwing my money away.
Pictures are here..... http://home.sport.rr.com/grahamstang/Truck/

Thanks
Graham
Old 05-29-2006, 07:51 PM   #2
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Re: What should 5k buy me..

Truck looks real nice from what I can see in the pictures. Your step fenders are not 67 though since they have lights/reflectors in them. From what I can see, you'll be getting your money's worth. Have you driven it at all yet???

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 07:58 PM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I agree it looks pretty nice, however, I also question the quality of work, with rust popping through the paint on the floor already, and same thing on the inner rockers, I really wonder about that. I also wonder if the VIN on the cab and frame match up... if your BMV or state inspection would look at that, you better look first.
5 grand is a little steep with the questionable aspects IMO.... but that might be why I drive junk though.

Last edited by Longhorn Man; 05-29-2006 at 07:58 PM.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 08:11 PM   #4
CG
BlahBlahBlah

i looked at a few of the pics. personally i wouldnt pay 5k for a truck that im going to need to fix the visable rust ( and who knows what else is hidin behind that paint job ) before you know it you will be into it 8k...but then again you should see some of the crap ive drug home =)

Last edited by CG; 05-29-2006 at 08:12 PM.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 08:13 PM   #5
mbgmike

I don't think You got a bad deal. we all have seen people askin $4000 for alot worse. The paint on it doesn't look to bad from the pictures looks like he did bondo the floor in the corners. Its probably a little on the high side but they are going up in price compared to just a few years ago. I don't think you are throwing your money away. what can you buy that looks good for $5000 any more. Biggest thing is how it runs if its a daily driver. Thats just my opinion
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 08:38 PM   #6
cdowns

doors don't seem to be well aligned hood doesn't line up properly a cheap crap paint job with rust coming thru a nothing special truck worth alot less than 5grand /// don't rush add to the 5grand and a few dollars more you can find a true rustfree in original paint not a surprise package like that one
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 10:22 PM   #7
Fastrucken

well crap guys... not real sure what to do here.... I hate it when its not a clear choice.... I looked at e-bay and at the american classifieds and 5k is a werid amount for these trucks, not alot in this range. Thanks for the input guys and will use it to make my decsion.
Thanks
Graham

PS if anone else wants to chime in please do....
Old 05-29-2006, 11:08 PM   #8
rage'nrat638
Account Suspended

theres no telling whats behind the bondo..
you will want to lay under the cab and bed on any truck your looking at
check the cab corners and supports if there all hacked in there or bondo on them forget it. (supports)

you might expect some pop's after a few years..
if it's only been a few months..look else where.
have someone go with that knows bodywork,
mark
rage'nrat638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 11:21 PM   #9
whitesswj
Embrace the Redneck

5k would buy you a good friend if you bougt me!!

Son, you just can't get there from here...
whitesswj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 11:26 PM   #10
wazooz2424

i dont think it looks too bad. my main gripe is rust and i dont see too too much of it.
wazooz2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 11:29 PM   #11
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

No one has mentioned...
5 grand should buy a pretty nice ORIGINAL truck that has not been redone. Personally, I would look int he desert south west. Figure 1000 bucks to get it home, that still leaves you 4k to get a truck with... still plenty of cash.
Personally, I'd want to get something with original paint, and no rust. The original paint ensures you are looking at what is really there, and not something that *looks* solid. Engine work is nothing. You can get a rebuilt short block (small block chevy of course) for 500 bucks or so if you look. So in all reality, that's chump chainge compaired to paint and body. $500 would get you all the supplies to paint it with good paint...but no money left for labor. THAT'S how expensive paint and body is. And we aren't even getting into metal replacement, the year or two that it'd sit in a body shop.... it gets nasty.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 12:01 AM   #12
Fastrucken

I'm pretty sure I probably will leave it alone. If the guy comes down to something like 4500 I might buy it but I doubt he'll come down to it. The reason I do like the truck is its shiny, I do understand what that means. I am looking for a driver. Ive decided on a 65-66 or 67-68 c-10 shot bed and probably wont be happy with anything else. The main reason I have concidered this truck is its a driver. I'm not looking to resore a c-10 right now hands are full with all of the sheet metal i'm replacing on my 68 mustang. I can do just about anything but would like to get into a C-10 that in decent shape.... Longhorn you seem to think along with acouple of others that I can spend my money better else and just might.

Thanks again guys keep the comments comming if ya got something to add

Graham
Old 05-30-2006, 03:35 PM   #13
larry may

Smile Re: What should 5k buy me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastrucken
I'm pretty sure I probably will leave it alone. If the guy comes down to something like 4500 I might buy it but I doubt he'll come down to it. The reason I do like the truck is its shiny, I do understand what that means. I am looking for a driver. Ive decided on a 65-66 or 67-68 c-10 shot bed and probably wont be happy with anything else. The main reason I have concidered this truck is its a driver. I'm not looking to resore a c-10 right now hands are full with all of the sheet metal i'm replacing on my 68 mustang. I can do just about anything but would like to get into a C-10 that in decent shape.... Longhorn you seem to think along with acouple of others that I can spend my money better else and just might.

Thanks again guys keep the comments comming if ya got something to add

Graham
Had I been so Noble to ask the questions you have .Dollar wise I would be much better off . Longhornman is right. To include all the rest of the replys. Offer the seller a couple of grand less explain the issues to him. He may rethink his price! Good Luck.........
larry may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 03:48 PM   #14
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Offer $3500, all he can say is NO
Tow Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 03:57 PM   #15
boraxman
Keepin an eye out

Yup I would agree on 3500, give ya a little to play with.
ZIP 91351
boraxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 12:02 AM   #16
Fastrucken

PS whats the best way to find a truck for sale in the south west??
Old 05-30-2006, 01:42 AM   #17
hogrocket

Best way to find local trucks here in San Diego is through Craigs List. Truck Trader is also a good reference, but Craigs List seems more popular. Craigs list is nationwide and covers most major geographical areas. Also, I know you are wanting a 67-68, but you might consider a 70 model. With that you can get factory AC and disc brakes up front. That will save you some money right there. You should be able to find a fairly rust free truck that runs decent for 3-$4000.00 in this area. You just have to keep looking and be patient. I recently paid 3500 for a 70 4x4 from Sacramento w/AC and disc. Completely stock--drove it home 400 miles the next day. Good luck. MM
hogrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 04:27 AM   #18
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

I agree with these guys. They said what I already told ya...

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:42 AM   #19
cdowns

www.rustfreeclassics.com call him tell him what you're lookin for and get on his waiting list
www.hemmings.com usually has a few my experience is it's better to get the publication than online because all thier listings aren't online
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 02:58 PM   #20
motocrosschump

Welcome to the club..from your northern neighbor..I know where you can get a 72 Chevy SWB new paint. Not sure whats under the paint tho for $1800.
1969 Chevelle 2 door 350/3
motocrosschump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 03:31 PM   #21
Sgt.Booya

It's a matter of choice and obviously a very subjective thing. Personally, I'd and look for something original and rust free. By the looks of that paint job you'll be looking to do bodywork again (the right way) in 6 to 12 months.

Look for something that's not as shiny. Go original and do it right the first time. Spend around 3K for something solid and orginial (+/- a $1000), put some money into making the mechanics reliable and drive it. (It may not look the best but lets face it.......it's still a cool classic truck)

Drive it while you've saving some cake for some quality bodywork then.........getir done. Just my 2 cents. Gook luck and welcome.

1970 Chev C10 SWB, "250 turbo thrift"
Sgt.Booya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 06:28 PM   #22
mbgmike

Around south texas you couldn't pick up a rust free truck for $4500 unless you found a blind person that didn't know what they had or were just damn lucky. Those days are gone. The last stock rust free or close to it that I saw went for $3500 and that was 16 years ago.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:00 PM   #23
Jerry Jones
Happy Camper

At the end of last winter, my wife an I were in Lake Tahoe, for a no kids get away. We were driving into town and there in the local drug store parking lot was our new baby with a f/s/ sign in the window. I bought it on the spot. '71 C20, 58K orig miles, orig everything... rust free. for $5200. I realize this is not the norm, but deals are still out there if you are patient, I wasn't even looking for a new ride at the time. However, with that said, if I was looking, the one you were looking at is pretty clean and I would bargain with the seller a bit.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:53 PM   #24
Old Yeller 1970
DON'T TREAD ON ME

This truck is a tough choice. I believe you are going to be looking at rust popping out on the outside of the rocker pannels. Considering that the paint has such obvious runs in it (which is something you do see), that should tell you something about what is underneath it (which you don't see).

I think if you are prepaired to live with the rust that is likely to show up go ahead and get it. If it will make you unhappy and make you want to fix it then I would pass. Overall it is a nice looking truck and IMO may be worth what they are asking. It all depends on how long you plan on keeping it. If you don't plan on keeping it long then the more rust that shows up the less likely you will be to get your money out of it. If you think it's something you will keep a long time and repaint several years down the road to make it right then at least it will look half way decent until you get to that point.

Personally, I'd have a hard time buying a $5000 truck that only had a 283 in it. I prefer 350's myself. If you plan on reselling it then that is also something to consider. If you plan on keeping it and don't mind the minimouse then I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:10 PM   #25
Fastrucken

Thanks guys for all of your replys... I thanked him for his time.. I started looking around here and probably end up with something that wont be as shiny but atleast I will know what im getting into, and its probably more of a project then I wanted to get into... Oh well......

Thanks again
Graham