The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-12-2007, 03:18 PM   #1
82c10
needin' money

big block swap

well' i need to get the truck back on the road, and have a few questions,i am not wanting to invest very much more money in it, so i am gonna replace the motor i built in it, and i think i can get more money out of it with a big block. the small block in it right now has a/c, the compressor, and corresponding lines will bolt on the BBC brackets won't they? i'll need motor mounts, which brand, style is better, and which most inexpensive headers are the best? summit(flowtech is the same company), everything else has slipped my mind, i'll need to upgrade the radiator, but what else do i need?
Old 03-12-2007, 03:46 PM   #2
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Re: big block swap

You don't need motor mounts, use the ones off the SBC, they are the same. The A/C brackets are different. I would recommend a bigger radiator at lease 3 row. Any cheap headers will work (Blackjack comes to mind) but they will be well.... Cheap.

I don't think you will get more money out of it if you base it on the amount of work it will require to switch it. Espeically if you are pulling a newly rebuilt 350 to put in an old 454. Plus the '82 never came with a 454 (if that matters to the buyer) Personally I believe you are going to end up having more trouble that its worth to swap.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 04:59 PM   #3
82c10
needin' money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captkaos View Post
You don't need motor mounts, use the ones off the SBC, they are the same. The A/C brackets are different. I would recommend a bigger radiator at lease 3 row. Any cheap headers will work (Blackjack comes to mind) but they will be well.... Cheap.

I don't think you will get more money out of it if you base it on the amount of work it will require to switch it. Espeically if you are pulling a newly rebuilt 350 to put in an old 454. Plus the '82 never came with a 454 (if that matters to the buyer) Personally I believe you are going to end up having more trouble that its worth to swap.
i could put in another good running 350, my point is i need to get another motor for it to replace the one i built, it will cost the same for me to purchase the big block, as it will to purchase a small block, i just need to put it together, and get rid of it.i will be losing money on it anyway i sell it. i would like somebody to buy it in project form, but that is not going to happen.i think i am fixing to go get all my reciepts and tally how much i have into it, they are good looking trucks, but i have another hobby now, and would like to clear out my "inventory" i am only 18, and have had 6 vehicles, i have 3 now, one of them is sold, and when i get the title back on the other one it will be sold, and i really need to get rid of the truck as it is just taking up space, and i haven't driven it in the past 1 1/2 years.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:01 PM   #4
82c10
needin' money

and it shouldn't take me very long to swap it out, i would like to get it back together over spring break, which is next week
Old 03-12-2007, 06:32 PM   #5
Duro5341

Personally I would stick with a 350.

You already have all the brackets, and what not........it'll be just a straight swap

With the rising Gas prices no one is going to want to purchase a 454, unless it's a work truck, or a weekend cruiser. A 350 is sufficent for most people, and better on gas than a huge 454

I think a 350 is a more common. There is a huge aftermarket support for these engines, and there the best bang for the buck

Just my 2 cents,
Duro
Duro5341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 06:39 PM   #6
Srubydo1986
The Crazy Machanic

if ur concerned with money and such and want to sell it why not just leave that motor in it. It saves u time aggravation and spending more money on the truck. (also if u remove that motor any money u have inthe reciets for that motor dont count cause its not in it)

Just a thought if a it already runs and drive sell it as is

Last edited by Srubydo1986; 03-12-2007 at 06:39 PM.
Srubydo1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:50 PM   #7
82c10
needin' money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srubydo1986 View Post
if ur concerned with money and such and want to sell it why not just leave that motor in it. It saves u time aggravation and spending more money on the truck. (also if u remove that motor any money u have inthe reciets for that motor dont count cause its not in it)

Just a thought if a it already runs and drive sell it as is
because i have part of it apart, i have the starter off, a header, the trans is out, it will save me time and aggravation by putting another motor in it,like i said i don't mind the labor(i am not stupid, i know i won't be able to use receipts for that motor) just saying, i have it listed as a project in some places, and i know for a fact i won't be able to get my money back on it, it is my worst investment this far, i like the look of them, but resale value sucks,and was a bad investment on my part
Old 03-12-2007, 10:04 PM   #8
82c10
needin' money

if i wanted to, i could even buy my friends 5.3 and put in it for about the same price, except the DIS/wiring stuff would kill me(price wise)

Last edited by 82c10; 03-12-2007 at 10:04 PM.
82c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:09 PM   #9
Srubydo1986
The Crazy Machanic

sorry man to make you mad wants thinkin i guess. It suck to be sick ur mind always goes to space.

But out of curriosity what is look like and how much did you put out there for.Just a question, Heck i just finish my truck and had some one ask me how much i said 5000 ill never get but its funny to see there face.
Srubydo1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:20 PM   #10
82c10
needin' money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srubydo1986 View Post
sorry man to make you mad wants thinkin i guess. It suck to be sick ur mind always goes to space.

But out of curriosity what is look like and how much did you put out there for.Just a question, Heck i just finish my truck and had some one ask me how much i said 5000 ill never get but its funny to see there face.
it has a pretty good body, but i have it in grey primer, i would love to finish it, but i am in school, and my parents won't take it off the insurance(don't ask me why) i buy all of my own vehicles, and try to make money on all of them, but i lost some on my 96, and i know i will lose some on the 82, i put it out for Best Offer(this is not a for sale add, just answering his question)
Old 03-13-2007, 01:40 AM   #11
Pyrotechnic

If it were me looking at trucks, and there were two identical trucks, one with a nicely done 350 and one with a half heartedly done 454 swap, I'd pass up the 454. In a 1/2 ton 2WD truck, I only want a 454 if it's pushing out some serious power and the truck is into the 13's. I dont want a stock 454 stump pulling gas guzzler. There's quite a few 350's that can outrun a stock 454 and get better gas mileage while doing it.

A high performance 454 and properly built tranmission AND 12 bolt posi rear end, plus a 4 core radiator will increase resale value, but thats because the package is very complete and well thought out.

Most people including me, will not add the cost of an engine to the sale price of a truck unless it's extremely nice and the seller can produce receipts. Lots of time you will lose money this way, especially if you put something expensive in. I would just put a decent 350 in there and call it a day. Most people who buy primered truck have their own plans for body paint and engine, either that or they are going to drive it till the wheels fall off.

Last edited by Pyrotechnic; 03-13-2007 at 01:40 AM.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote