The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Today, 12:16 AM   #1
V8chpr

Rear Axles and DIFF Question

Hello, everyone. I have a 72 C10. I put it on the lift today and started out replacing the rear drum brakes. While I was into it, I decided to pull the axles and replace the bearings and seals. I have owned the truck for about 20 years, and I am the third owner. I am estimating that I have put 30K on it in the time I've owned it. It has a little over 124K on the odometer.

After pulling the axles, I pulled the diff out, thinking I was going to put a posi back in. Now I am having second thoughts. I guess my question would be, if everything is working fine, should I just put everything back together with new axle bearings and seals OR go ahead and replace the diff with the posi and a new ring and pinion to have a new rear end? There was a good bit of play (backlash?) on the axles to the spider gears. The backlash on the ring and pinion did not seem excessive by feel. I have attached a couple of pics of the splines on the axles. There is obvious wear, but I don't know if it is worthy of new axles. I would certainly put new axles back in if I were to put a new diff in. The ring gear and spiders do not show any obvious wear signs although I know they have it. As far as I know, it is the original rear end.

I hope I haven't rambled too much and have made sense. Thanks for the input.

Chris
Attached Images

V8chpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:32 AM   #2
cj847

Re: Rear Axles and DIFF Question

I no expert but that axle looks like new.

On the rest of your questions: You've owned the truck a long time. If you haven't found a need (or want) for a posi I would avoid that expense. I wouldn't even replace the bearings unless there is obvious pitting.
cj847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:37 AM   #3
jocko

Welcome Chris! If you don’t do burnouts or go off-roading and already enjoyed driving the truck as it was before you started the brake job, the old adage “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” probably applies. If $ are readily available and you have a reason to change anything other than seals and bearings, well, that’s a different story - comes down to what you want to do with the truck. I like to wrench, but the older I get, the more I tend to shy away from the old mindset of different = better, and just try to keep em on the road.
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:03 AM   #4
V8chpr

Thanks for the input. I've cooled my jets and decided to button her back up and ride .
V8chpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:47 AM   #5
Wrenchbender Ret

Look at the brg. surface on the axles. If they are ok you are good to go.
George
Wrenchbender Ret is online now   Reply With Quote