The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 11:12 AM   #1
DevilDog Aggie

Ticked Off!!!

Apparently local pd has absolutely nothing better to do than to harass me and my wife. Was working on replacing the wheel cylinders yesterday and realized that both of them were drivers side. Went down to see if they had the passenger side one in stock. Of course not. It will be in tomorrow. So I finished what I could and left the truck in front of my house. Yes, it is on a pair of stands. The drivers side is complete, but rather than put the passenger side on, I left it off and on a stand until I can finish it.

We live next to an elementary school and people use the street to drop their kids off instead of sitting in the 2 drive through lanes for the school. Apparently one of them called the PD and complained that the truck was dangerous. The officer was banging on the door like there was a child molester in side and yelled at my wife saying, he was tired of getting calls about it. I'm thinking "Really???" I have been driving it since before school started so I know there have been no calls about it. I am thinking people are *****ing because they can't park right in front of the gate. TFB! They block my wife in to our driveway and she can't get out to go to work. Two can play their pansy ass game!!! I am going to start parking all of our cars on that part of the street.
Attached Images

Build Thread - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...87#post5503187
Semper Fi and Gig'em Aggies!
Old 09-10-2012, 11:35 AM   #2
LEEVON

Re: Ticked Off!!!

Sounds like a no-win situation. I know that wouldn't fly in my neighborhood nor would I try it...just my .02
Old 09-10-2012, 11:48 AM   #3
shawno72
C/10 junkie

Being that you are on the street your gonna be at their mercy. Had it been in your driveway they probably couldn't of said much.

70 LWB C10 current driver/project
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=663051
68 SWB C10 Work in progress.....SOLD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559520
72 LWB C10 Sold
71 LWB C10 Sold
68 LWB C10 CST Sold

http://youtu.be/kbB0QrBIs9k

My mom always had the best advice. It was just a tad late. After a fall that involved blood, she'd say....."Careful!"
Old 09-10-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
JointTech

non operable vehicles cant be left on most streets in america. Can you imagine what it would look like if every redneck (me included) left his pile of junk bondo primer and missing wheels truck out front? Somalia comes to mind.
At the same time time f the cops and the tattle tales, but even though you knew you would have it fixed and out of the street by midday (or when ever) the cops dont.
They make the rules based on the dumbest person so the rest of us have to suffer.

as to the people blocking you in in the morning I would make it my lifes work to get revenge. I'm sick like that.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:59 AM   #5
midniteblues

thats a shame that the local pd doest have anything else better too do!

but then again most cops get paid enough too have their vehicles fixed/worked on at a shop.

I feel for you I once drove home frome work at 12:10 too have a pbj sammich 10 min later back at the truck parked in front of my (apartment at the time)I mustve ran over a nail or something and had a front flat no bigge I thought so.
I coasted it out far enough from the curb too be able too spin the 4 bar thought about it for a second and thought I gotta be back at work in ten min!

but I'll be done at 2:30 so I hopped on the bike and left it.
now hear me out my truck was usually parked in the same spot most of the time (of course when I was home)
but when I got back at 2:35 when I got there I had that BIG ORANGE ABANDONED sticker on my windsheild and a ticket for the way I was parked!
you gotta be kidding me!

I fixed the flat and headed for the ticket center. of course they are there to make money and wouldnt give me any solution but pay the tickets and leave.
I had so much respect for that local pd instead of harassing the every local corner pistol poppin drug pushers they knew they could get money from a local workin man without a problem.

I've also had a local church cause me similar problems like yours when I lived at this old location they had a half a block parking lot that none of the members would use they would rather park on the street. theres was times I would come home and had too park two blocks away.

If I were you I would park there and not move'em until school is out.

I have a buddie who isnt allowed to keep any project or parts car around his garage well on is own property because of a school that is within sight of them even though there is a almost block long parking lot and a tall chain link between them.
he didnt know this when he bought the house he's been fined,warned and harrased about it for a year. now he's looking for another place.
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:01 PM   #6
domeier

When I was 12, I would've gotten a few of a my up-to-no-good buddies together and we'd have knocked that truck of the stands in about 2 seconds.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:06 PM   #7
JointTech

yea im still waiting for karma to catch up with me for all the antenas i broke off as a kid.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:21 PM   #8
Nitschke

THAT'S BS! What a DICK! Give them hell
Posted via Mobile Device

Motor: LY6 6.0 Liter
Trans: 6L80E
Still under construction
Old 09-10-2012, 12:30 PM   #9
cdowns

your luck it wasn't towed as a junker
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
Old 09-10-2012, 12:27 PM   #10
JRANGER

thats so much BS
Old 09-10-2012, 12:36 PM   #11
LEX

It wouldn't fly in my neighborhood, either. I'm sorry to say, but I can see how it can be dangerous to kids. They'd be tempted to play underneath it, because seeing a vehicle like that isn't something they see everyday. Kids are very curious.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:49 PM   #12
mrein3

How I would handle it:
I'm sorry officer. Yesterday I was doing some simple brake work. One thing lead to another and I needed to replace some parts that weren't available. The local parts store assurred me that my parts will be in today and I will make sure I get the job done by sun down. I'm terribly sorry. It won't happen again.

I'll bet you $10 to a dime that even some of the Barney Fifes I've ran into would have said fine, don't let it happen again.

Remember, those cops out there have to weigh your best interest (not having to put it back down on tires and push it into the drive way) against the best interest in the general public. Usually the general public wins over one guy who's truck is on jack stands.

Now regarding that drop off spot. Most of these schools today have some policy wonk who has never even seen that school writing some policy about where and when you can drop a kid off. A friendly call to the school office regading drop off/pick up policy might fix that problem - unless it isn't a problem at all but just sour grapes over the police man stopping.
Center City, MN
Old 09-10-2012, 12:36 PM   #13
Rochlow

In the officer's defense.. I'm sure someone from the school board called the mayor, in turn the mayor called the police chief and the chief tore into the officer. The officer in turn was forced to do it. (however, manners differ)

It's the classic #@$# runs down hill theory..
Old 09-10-2012, 12:39 PM   #14
no moa

PD is doing exactly what they are suppose to be doing. Investigating a call when they get it.
Call the PD as for the supervisor. Advise him of you situation and that it will be fixed tomorrow. He will (if he'z a nice guy) put out a memo or something that the truck is being repaired and that it will be done tomorrow. Then the Dispatchers will relay that to the duty guys that evening.
I have done it many times with parking, seems to work fine in my area. Its kind of a common courtisy to the PD.
My $.02 anyway.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=451950

1971 c10 step 250 3 OTT

1969 c30 TOW-MATER. 307 4 speed, holmes 440 body.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=451082

2006 CTS-V LS2 6spd.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:42 PM   #15
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

You're on a public street... you kinda don't have a leg to stand on. Roll it in the driveway next time then you can tell them where to go. No reason to be upset, you're actually lucky they didn't tow it.
Posted via Mobile Device
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
Old 09-10-2012, 12:47 PM   #16
my67c20

While i can partially understand were you are coming from regarding parents dropping off there kids as i lived across from a school for 20 years. I can't even begin to tell you how many times they blocked my driveway, hit my trash cans or just bumped into my car to get that last spot. However imagine if a ball came out from the school and a student went under the truck to get it. It does not even look like you have the front wheels blocked. You should have put the tire on and at least lowered it down to give the illusion it was okay. My rule is if you plan on walking away from it for a few hours spent the 10 minutes and make sure its safe. You have no control over what happens when you are not there.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #17
Lee H

In my community you can't have a non op vehicle in the driveway let alone the street. I'm thinking you got off lucky considering your in a school zone.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Old 09-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #18
LUCKTRUCK

I can see how it could be dangerous. Just think about that truck falling on a kid. If it were my truck, I'd be afraid someone would mess around and push it off the stands.

Are the front wheels chocked?

Old 09-10-2012, 01:49 PM   #19
truckster

Check your local ordinances. I just did; here's what it says:

Vehicle are prohibited from being up on blocks, jacks, or anything other than the wheels or mechanism that are orginally designed to equip such vehicles for traveling purposes.

Just put the wheel back on and ease it to the ground. Then the cops can't say anything.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:47 PM   #20
HeloCrewChief

I once got a ticket for leaving my truck on stands overnight in my driveway with a cover over it. I agree thinking back to when I was a little hoodlum riding bikes around the neighborhood with friends that this would have attracted our attention. Anything new or out of the ordinary would catch our eyes. Put yourself in the shoes of a 10-12 year old boy.
1968 Chevelle
1964 Comet Caliente
1990 W250 Cummins
Old 09-10-2012, 01:53 PM   #21
LEX

I've always been a car nut as long as I can remember. I know I probably would have wanted to go under there if I was 8-10 years old. haha
Old 09-10-2012, 02:11 PM   #22
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Just doing his job.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:17 PM   #23
davepl

It would have been a short conversation:

"Yeah, sorry about that, I had planned it to only take an hour or so but found out I had the wrong part. Are you OK if I have it moved by tomorrow?"

We've all fixed cars on the side of the road, I'm sure. But let's not get excited about it being a consitutional right to be able to leave disabled vehicles up on jack stands on a public road, because it just ain't one.

I'm not a cop and don't even know any, but I doubt it was the highlight of his day having to deal with your truck. So if you're thinking he was on a power trip about his unmitigated authority having to sort out parking disputes between neighbors, you're probably wrong.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:23 PM   #24
Billett

reading through all these posts makes me glad I live out in the sticks... This has been in my yard for about 2 weeks now

And this is a typical day for us. All running fine(ish), but definitely not allowed in more urban areas. And yes there are two more garage spaces there... and a camper in the background behind that tree... and a camino under that car cover...

2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L
2024 Toyota Sienna
Old 09-10-2012, 02:41 PM   #25
DevilDog Aggie

Y'all are all correct and I know I am at fault here. My biggest issue was the bullying by the officer. My wife tried to explain to him the situation and that if she could take it down she would. And that I will take care of it tonight when I get home. He was banging on the door like he was after someone. Then yelling at my wife really ticked me off. Whole situation could have been handled differently.
Build Thread - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...87#post5503187
Semper Fi and Gig'em Aggies!
Closed Thread