The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-30-2004, 01:45 AM   #1
Jerrys1stgJimmy

Help needed with carb spacer/adapter

I have an unused quadrajet and an old edelbroch intake and ordered an adapter along with my new engine from sdpc(scoggin dickey). When I receieved it I saw no instructions, just the spacer which made sense along with a bag of nuts and bolts. I have no clue what each are for exactly, and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to mount this. Does anyone have experience mounting a carb using one of these spacers could help me out on the hardware needed to make it work?

Thanks,
Jerry
Jerrys1stgJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 08:14 AM   #2
Shane65

I put one on last night. I didn't have any hardware so I had to scrounge. Mine had hex shaped holes on the inner bolt pattern when viewed from the bottom. The top outer holes were counterbored. I used 5/16" hex nuts in the hex holes and used the gasket to keep them in place while I placed the adapter on the intake. I took four 5/16" allen head bolts and machined the outside diameter of the head just enough to fit in the counterbored holes then tighened them. The adapter is now ready for the top gasket and carb. Bolt lenght is critical for the bolts that hold the carb down. The nuts that are in the adapter will likely be sitting in the bottom of their hex hole. As you tighten the bolts they will draw up tight. Make sure the throttle bades move freely and don't bind. Once you get the engine running, check for vacuum leaks. You may have an issue with the choke if it's not an electric type.
Shane65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 11:11 AM   #3
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

I did things a bit different. I wasn't happy with the bolt setup that came with the adapter. The socket head cap screws to hold the adapter to the manifold had SAE threads, but metric heads, so I bought the right ones at the hardware store.

For bolting to the carb base, I prefer to have studs sticking up, makes it easier to get the carb and gaskets on. Rather than putting the nuts in the adapter, I placed the bolts in with the head down and the threaded end sticking up, just like studs.

Also, any steel fasteners going into aluminum need a thread sealer to prevent galvanic corrosion. Use blue loctite or teflon thread sealer for this.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 11:54 AM   #4
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

I'm with Fred on this one.....studs sticking up are far earier to deal with than trying to get the exact length bolts and fighting to align them.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 04:08 PM   #5
Jerrys1stgJimmy

Thanks for the advice everyone, very helpful. As soon as I get some time I'll give it another go. Everything does have teflon on them. Thanks again
Jerrys1stgJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 05:48 PM   #6
jcueckert13

heres the instructions that came with mine. hope it helps a little more
Attached Images

1970 C10 longbed stepside (in pieces)
1976 Dodge Dart
1963 Dodge Dart

jcueckert13 is offline   Reply With Quote