The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-26-2003, 11:24 AM   #1
69 air cab

Torque converter question???

I was about to re-install my 350 tranny on my 69 C-10 and looked at the torque converter. I'm not sure how to know if it (torque converter) has enough oil in it. I can some oil but it does not look like much. If I turn it on it's side it does not run out, I assume that would be correct.
How much oil does that converter need? What kind/weight?
Is there an easy way to tell if it has the right amount of oil without dumping it and starting over?
I really appreciate any help you can give me.
69 air cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 11:47 AM   #2
ckhd

Throw a few quarts in, put it together. The tranny runs fluid through there anyway and will fill it to the proper level once you start the engine. Just make sure that you have the right fluid level in the tranny before you drive it.

1968 K20 fleet
1969 K10 swb fleet
1972 K10 Suburban
1972 C10 lwb step
1992 K1500 'burb
1995 K2500 'burb
1997 C1500 'burb
1999 K1500
2000 K1500 'burb

Why do I own so many Suburbans?
ckhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 12:57 PM   #3
69 air cab

CKHD,
Thank very much. As you can see I am not a tranny/converter guy but with your advice I can now assemble it.
Thanks again and Happy New Year
Old 12-26-2003, 01:00 PM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

even if it goes togther dry it wont hurt it as long as ya fill the trans after the install.

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 09:32 PM   #5
69 air cab

Thanks Bob. I learned something new today. Are there any tricks to know when installing the converter and tranny? This is a frame off so it's easy to get to now. Can the converter be bolted to the fly wheel first then install the tranny?
Thanks
Old 12-26-2003, 09:56 PM   #6
ckhd

It's best to install it in the tranny first. Then you don't have to deal with "stabbing" the input shaft. It is also easier to not damage the front seal that way too.

1968 K20 fleet
1969 K10 swb fleet
1972 K10 Suburban
1972 C10 lwb step
1992 K1500 'burb
1995 K2500 'burb
1997 C1500 'burb
1999 K1500
2000 K1500 'burb

Why do I own so many Suburbans?
ckhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 10:11 PM   #7
Rooster's 67

never install a torque converter "dry" you always want to fill it to the point of being almost half full (when you put into a vertical position) it will purge the air pocket after starting and the pump starts working, then install it to the input shaft being careful not to damage the seal. replace the seal if you are there, it is a cheap little bit of insurance so that you dont have to pull the tranny again to replace a seal that leaks now that you put it all together. you can also make a tool out of wire that will wrap around the front pan bolts and up thru the lug on the converter to hold into position while you stab it. really handy if your doin it lyin on your back in the drive with a tranny on your chest.
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Rooster's 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 11:04 PM   #8
cableguy0

you CAN NOT bolt the torque convertor to the flexplate before you install the tranny. the convertor has to engage 2 sets of splines and the pump drive. put the convertor on the input shaft and spin while pushing it toward the tranny you should feel it engage. once its fully engaged and you get the tranny up to the motor there will be a gap between the flexplate and the convertor.if there is no gap pull the tranny back out and spin convertor some more while pushing forward to engage the pump. put fluid in the convertor first as well do not let it run dry.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 11:12 PM   #9
86SILVERADO

I don't know exactly what happens if you do not get the torque converter on all the way but I do know it can ruin the tranny very quickly. I have found the best way for me to know if the torque converter is on all the way is that I cannot get my fingers between the back side of the converter and the bellhousing. the second to last position I can get my fingers all the way behind the converter and when it finnally clicks into place all the way there is no way I can get my fingers between the bellhousing and the converter. Try this out and it should guarantee that you have the converter in all the way. Good luck and I personally would never bolt the converter to the flywheel first. I would install it on the tranny first and the normal amount of fluid for it (as stated) is to have it spill out if you just start to tip it over slightly from a vertical postion.

67 C30 Dually Dump, with 350 transplant, Rockhauler

05 Duramax 3500

"If at first you don't succeed, try a bigger hammer"

Member of the 1-Ton club!
86SILVERADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 11:19 PM   #10
86SILVERADO

I always think it is funny when two people are typing replies at the same time. You actually can bolt the torque converter to the flywheel first if you want to it just makes it virtually impossible to insure that it will engage with the shaft correctly and will pretty much guarrantee that you will burn up the tranny. LOL

I always enjoy reading cableguyo's posts, never afraid to get right to the point. LOL

67 C30 Dually Dump, with 350 transplant, Rockhauler

05 Duramax 3500

"If at first you don't succeed, try a bigger hammer"

Member of the 1-Ton club!
86SILVERADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 11:09 AM   #11
69 air cab

Guys I really appreciate all your help. It's been a real education for me. HAPPY NEW YEAR.
Old 12-27-2003, 03:06 PM   #12
cduster

Just make sure that after you tighten up the bellhousing bolts the converter spins. This helps ensure that the converter is engaged the pump. Then when you put the converter bolts in just snug them untill you get them all in, then tighten them down all the way. Dan
cduster is offline   Reply With Quote