The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-25-2010, 02:25 PM   #1
gontek

Motor Pulling SOB

I've got a gusher of a leak from the rear main seal and I want to pull the motor and transmission to fix that and also for the experience. I aim to look over everything on the motor and put it back together to a long term owner standard. I am a motor pulling virgin, but I have a mechanic in the family who agreed to loan me a hoist and engine stand, but mostly I am working on my own.

My question is:
1. How much room do I need in front of the truck to comfortably pull the 350 and T400 transmission? My garage is not huge and the long bed takes up a lot of space, there is maybe 3 feet between the front bumper and my workbench now, 5 or 6 feet between the bumper and garage wall. Also, is the hoist operation a two man job? Can I remove the fender and lift out forward and to the side, and not need as much room in front?

I've read some other posts about motor pulling and they were extremely helpful even though I probably need to read them again.

A few notes:
1970 C-10 with motor probably a '77 chevy 350 and T400 trans
I am using socket wrenches not air tools
Truck has ac
I only have about an hour a day to dedicate to this project

Chances are good this will turn in to an engine rebuild, transmission swap, or frame off resto. On the flipside I am anxious to complete the task and get the truck running and functional again asap.

Look forward to reading your responses.
gontek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:29 PM   #2
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

Re: Motor Pulling SOB

i drop the trans then pull the motor. I dont pull as an assembled unit. Although you could take the front clip off to make it easier, and to get more room roll it backwards out of the shop, BLOCK IT (no trans=no park gear) and then pull motor.

My name tag says Ryan

KansasTwister On other forums
Walts_restoration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:34 PM   #3
QKENUF4U

as WR said.. pull trans then pull motor... pull your hood off and make sure ya got enough room to lift motor up (ceiling height ?) and push truck out... block it and put engine on stand... have fun , take your time, take lots of pics if need be...
good luck its fun if you know what youre doing....

Last edited by QKENUF4U; 06-25-2010 at 02:34 PM.
QKENUF4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:44 PM   #4
cdowns

alot faster to pull as unit// unhook everything possible,rad out ,lift up and slowly push truck back a bit at a time in a small garage is how i do it
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:45 PM   #5
Shyguy

When we pull engines we remove the radiator first.

It will be easiest to remove the transmission from the engine before pulling the engine as others have said.
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.

Last edited by Shyguy; 06-25-2010 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Spelling
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:47 PM   #6
Sinister
Between Trucks...

Last time I pulled a motor I left the transmission in. Put a piece of wood under the pan a slipped a jack under it.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:22 PM   #7
cdowns

the trouble is its alot more trouble in a small home shop twice the work twice the time to remove as seperate units// no tranny jacks no fancy driveon lifts etc// just a basic engine hoist and floor jack is what is required
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:46 PM   #8
gontek

From what I've read there is about 50/50 opinion on the transmission attached/separate unit argument. I am planning to pull the trans anyway, so I have 90% decided to pull it all out at once. In my head I was thinking jackstand the truck but now that I have learned to roll the truck out from under the hoisted engine I can formulate my plan of attack.

The radiator was the first thing to come out, and I have a dented grill, bumper, and fender so a lot of things are coming off this truck and going back on will be new hood hinges, battery tray, hoses, grill, fender and god knows what else. I'm tearing it all out. Taking lots of photos and taping wires with notated flags as well. Thanks for the advice.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:19 PM   #9
gkesseru

If you're planning to do a lot of front clip rebuild/replace, then consider pulling the front clip off as a unit. Either way pull off the hood. You disconnect the wires at the firewall (bolt in the middle of the connector), and the starter, unbolt the radiator support panel mount bolts (two in the bottom), unbolt the cowl. The you remove the two bolts at the top of the rear of the fender and one at the bottom.there is also one bolt on each side holding the inner fender to the cab (about 2/3 way back toward the inside. The whole front end will then come off as a unit.
00 F150
68 Step (named El Scorcho by PO)
Build thread for the new El Scorcho http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=392932
gkesseru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:24 PM   #10
gontek

Sweet, that is good advice. I am sure I have been wasting time unbolting a lot of pointless bolts and screws, when what I want to do is get to the point and get the whole front clip off and move on to the engine.

Last edited by gontek; 06-25-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:47 PM   #11
Shyguy

Pulling an engine with the front clip off is a piece of cake so to speak.

When we put the engine in my '67 with the front clip off the engine went in so easy.

I have found if the front clip is on when removing or installing an engine it usually is a lot easier with at least one helper to watch out for interferences.
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:59 PM   #12
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

DO NOT DISCONNECT YOUR A/C take the compressor off and lay it some where or your looking at recharging the hole thing..the rest is piece of cake...make sure you don't forget the trans shift linkage, speedo cable, and oil sending line..the rest is plug and play...

use fel pro gaskets ..I like to clean the hole thing and paint it then replace the gaskets I love the clean look

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:14 PM   #13
gontek

Yeah, I was wondering about the AC. Compressor has been off since forever.

I am looking forward to having this thing clean. Any time I work on a new part on the underside of my truck I have to scrape off 1/2 inch or more of red clay. I cant wait to get the front end cleaned up, and have it hold fluids.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:21 PM   #14
67chevy1series

well just to be sure the lenght of a longbed is about how much room you will need to pull the motor here at my house we usually take the radiator out the fan and disconnect the hoses the main wires to the firewall and take the hood of to disconnect the driveline from the axle and trans then drain all the oil from the tranny then start pulling the engine up and out and guide it out of the front end then after that go get a beer and enjoy what you did

Last edited by 67chevy1series; 06-25-2010 at 06:21 PM.
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:51 PM   #15
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Pulling the motor and trans together is EZPZ... since the confined space. Either drain the oil out of the tranny or put a ziploc bag over the tailshaft with a rubber band. Or tranny fluid will come out of the tailshaft.

If you only have an hour a day to put towards getting the engine and trans out... it will make it difficult to do.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:01 PM   #16
67/72junkie
Account Suspended

For what you want pull the front clip then motor and trans together.Remove the bumper first.disconnect battery.Unhook the wiring harness from the firewall and then unhook the engine harness from the light harness.Remove brace from driver side inner fender around lower steering column.remove radiator.Remove 2 radiator support bolts.Remove wiper arms and cowl.remove 4 upper fender bolts and 2 lower fender bolts.2 bolts thru inner fenders .5/8s underneath.check for ant ground straps and any lines still hooked to ac condensor.you can then remove front clip with one person on each side.If you remove the hood you willl be able to flex it a little and if your tires are not to big it will come off.If you set on jack stands and remove the tires you do not have to remove the hood from clip and it will come off alot easier.The problem comes when tires are still on and the passenger side inner fender wants to bind in between tire and ac box.Once clip is removed the engine and trans are simple .just double check and make sure everything is unhooked before you lift.
67/72junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:39 AM   #17
gontek

Its a lot easier to get stuff done when it's not so hot out.

Last edited by gontek; 10-26-2010 at 12:47 AM.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:51 AM   #18
gontek

I think you can see in the second and third pics how the transmission came off the driveshaft. I was told that would be impossible to slip that back on and I would have probably need to remove the driveshaft to put it back together, is that the case really? I don't see why it would be so hard to slip that back on.

The Universal joints on this truck dont unbolt, they are pressed in real tight spicers. I would have liked to undo a Ujoint near the transmission, but I think that might have taken a bit more effort and time, hopefully I haven't done it in a way that will cause more effort to put it back on.

Last edited by gontek; 10-26-2010 at 01:08 AM.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:05 AM   #19
gontek

Last edited by gontek; 10-26-2010 at 01:06 AM.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:07 AM   #20
gontek

Old 10-26-2010, 04:03 AM   #21
ERASER5

Yea, you're going to need to pull the drive shaft, unless you have 6 buddies that can help push, pull, lift, twist, angle, and align in perfect unison.

The rear U-joint unbolts, and pops out. Wrap tape around the loose U-joint to keep the caps and needle bearing clean and in place. Then the carrier (middle of the shaft) unbolt from the cross member. Just let it lay there.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:06 AM   #22
westofb
I really hate wet sanding!

I don't understand why you would want to pull the trans to change out a rear main seal? I would remove only the motor and leave the trans in the truck, that would be the simpliest method.

68 C-10
75 C-20, now a C-10!
10 F-150
westofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:10 AM   #23
raycow

Quote:
Originally Posted by westofb View Post
I would remove only the motor and leave the trans in the truck, that would be the simpliest method.
Not when you are trying to put it back together. Try bolting the transmission to the engine both in and out of the truck and you will know why.

Ray
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:16 PM   #24
westofb
I really hate wet sanding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycow View Post
Not when you are trying to put it back together. Try bolting the transmission to the engine both in and out of the truck and you will know why.

Ray
Done many times, it is easier and cheaper to leave the trans in the truck....this isn't rocket science, pretty simple infact. Why mess with unhooking all the trans stuff (linkage, driveshaft, etc) and loose a considerable amount of trans fluid in the process. Only 6 bell housing bolts and 3 or 4 convertor bolts to remove.
Posted via Mobile Device

68 C-10
75 C-20, now a C-10!
10 F-150
westofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:12 PM   #25
oldgold70c10
Who's got steelies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycow View Post

Ray
What?! I have, several times in a small garage and it is easy. Just get the dowel pins lined up and some bolts in. A bottle jack & some wood under the pan makes lining it up simple. Then bolt the engine to the engine mounts.
Like everyone else says, unless the trans needs to come out, just leave it in the truck. A 2x4 the right length between the frame rails works nicely to support the trans if you need to move the truck while the engine out.
1970 C20 Suburban 350/700R4 4.10 gearing green & white
1978 Big 10 Silverado 350/th350, working ac, 2 tone blue-My summer daily driver
1983 GMC 1500 Sierra 305/SM465 2.73 rear end

How to add a trip odometer to your 67-72 stock speedometer

How to rebuild your Q-Jet

My Truck Page
My Youtube Channel
oldgold70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote