The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-03-2009, 01:37 AM   #1
mr mike

registration help needed in PA (Antique tag)

registration help needed in PA (Antique tag)

Hi I am looking for some advice on trying to get my truck registered as a Antique (1969) but from what I see it has to be bone stock any one know any way around this ?

this is from the DMV

DEFINITION OF ANTIQUE AND CLASSIC MOTOR VEHICLES

Antique Motor Vehicle - A motor vehicle, but not a reproduction thereof, manufactured more than 25 years prior to the
current year which has been maintained in or restored to a condition which is substantially in conformance with
manufacturer specifications.

Classic Motor Vehicle - A motor vehicle, but not a reproduction thereof, manufactured at least 15 years prior to the current
year which has been maintained in or restored to a condition which is substantially in conformity with manufacturer
specifications and appearance. Any classic motor vehicle registered under Section 1340 (relating to antique, classic and
collectible plates) on the effective date of the amendment to this definition which fails to qualify as a classic motor vehicle
pursuant to these provisions may retain such classic registration unless another type of registration is applied for and
issued for the vehicle.

and this is what i am after ...............

Antique vehicles are not subject to the annual vehicle safety inspection
mr mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:02 AM   #2
72gmguy

Re: registration help needed in PA (Antique tag)

If you go to an auto tag place they dont even do an inspection of the vehicle. PA is one of the states you have private auto tag stores, just find one that will do what you want.
72gmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:55 AM   #3
Johns72C10

mr mike,
I'm going through this right now. As stated previously, you will need to go to a title/tag agent to get this done. I am currently having my 72 C-10 transferred to historic from a daily driver. As you stated, historic so you don't need inspections every year. Also the cost is a one time $75. fee (plus a few others... my total was $120.) PA also issues a new title for historic vehicles, cost included in the $120.

The most important thing to remember when applying for historic registration is the vehicle must be stock. My truck is bone stock but had a trailer hitch installed and I had to remove the hitch, take 4 pics (front, rear and both sides..no engine or interior) The tag agent told me that the state refused one truck owner simply because he had a few wooden fence posts in his bed when he took his pics. Hint: if you have access to Photoshop, which I don't, any truck can look stock.

Finally, give yourself at least 4 weeks to get your new plates. It's been 3 1/2weeks and I still don't have mine yet.

Good luck.
Johns72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:26 AM   #4
c10addict

I have had many applications kicked for many reasons... A random sticker in the back window, traction bars, windows not rolled up and many other very petty things.. Its almost like its a joke to the people who have the job of looking at the applications... I have found the best way to get around this is take your camera to a show and if there is a bone stock car/truck like yours.... Well you probably know were Im going with this...
54 GMC under the knife getting a S10 chassis swap and bagged. See my build thread...
07 GMC Sierra 5/7 drop, 22's and 24's Air ride on my mind..
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=339340

See pics of my trucks in my profile
c10addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:48 AM   #5
mr mike

I got my registration and all i did was find 4 nice pic of a stock truck printed them off the internet and went to the notary and bang got my tag lol
I love PA
Old 10-22-2009, 03:57 AM   #6
petey-pablo
"THE GREEN GOBLIN"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr mike View Post
I got my registration and all i did was find 4 nice pic of a stock truck printed them off the internet and went to the notary and bang got my tag lol
I love PA
That's awsome
Front 2.5inch Spindles with 2inch Springs Rear 4inch drop Springs.
454BBC TH400,Posi

1971 Cheyenne 10 Long Fleet Side
454BBC TH350,Posi Sold

Drive it like you stole it!
Petey-pablo@sbcglobal.net
petey-pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:04 AM   #7
Jim_PA

I thought about this, but now you can't drive at night, right?
Jim_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:09 PM   #8
mr mike

I was told that if you are coming from a show or the shop you are OK so i will be coming from a car show all the time lol If i go out to eat and some one looked at the truck (I was showing the truck) plus it pa and most cops like to look 2 so as long as i keep the cut out's closed i think ill b OK
Old 10-25-2009, 09:10 AM   #9
sewanhaka62

on moving to PA. from NJ. - i wanted to change my QQ plates over to PA. antique -- my stock 44k mile original 66 belair was turned down because it had drag win stickers in the windows .. and my wife's mustang [restored original] was turned down because it had a bra on the nose ... had to clean windows/ take bra off to pass .. PA. does alot of ballbusting for antique plates ..bob

Last edited by sewanhaka62; 10-25-2009 at 03:30 PM.
sewanhaka62 is offline   Reply With Quote