The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-03-2015, 09:24 AM   #1
ahawes

Cruise control servo rod

Since I have bought my pickup the cruise control has never worked, I finally got around to looking to why exactly that is the case yesterday. The metal part at the end of the vacuum servo for the cruise control is broken and the rod that goes forward from there to the throttle body is just missing completely. I can find the vacuum servo unit many different places but I have not been able to source this rod anywhere! Does anyone have a source for one or is this a junkyard only type part?
Posted via Mobile Device
ahawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:57 PM   #2
tucsonjwt

Re: Cruise control servo rod

It is a junkyard part only, but it is likely that you have more than one problem with the cruise control. Have you verified that all of the cruise control parts are functioning properly? You have the control stalk on the steering column, the brake disconnect switch beneath the dash, all of the vacuum lines and the vacuum reservoir tank on the firewall, servo, etc.

I have replaced all of the components on my 83 except the steering column control stalk (no longer available for my 83) and after several mechanics worked on it - still not working properly. If you really want cruise I would look at a modern electronic aftermarket cruise control - you will likely be money ahead in the long run and have a more reliable cruise control.

Just my $.02.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 01:21 PM   #3
ahawes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
It is a junkyard part only, but it is likely that you have more than one problem with the cruise control. Have you verified that all of the cruise control parts are functioning properly? You have the control stalk on the steering column, the brake disconnect switch beneath the dash, all of the vacuum lines and the vacuum reservoir tank on the firewall, servo, etc.

I have replaced all of the components on my 83 except the steering column control stalk (no longer available for my 83) and after several mechanics worked on it - still not working properly. If you really want cruise I would look at a modern electronic aftermarket cruise control - you will likely be money ahead in the long run and have a more reliable cruise control.

Just my $.02.
I am trying to just replace the obvious stuff first. I've looked at vacuum lines and they are all attached correctly (at least as good as I can tell). I pretty much knew that I would be replacing the vacuum servo at a minimum since the metal piece attached to it that the rod hooks to is broken and from what I can see there is no way to just fix this small bit. I know that the blinker stalk is a common failure point as well but having read about what a turd it can be to get the wires pulled through the column to replace it I want to do that as a last resort. Short of jacking the truck up and putting it on stands and trying to set the cruise control I am not sure how else I can even check if the servo itself is actually trying to work or not. I don't want to go that route just from a safety standpoint though.

I've looked at the aftermarket electric units of which you can get a very nice one for under $200, I just hoped to be able to keep it factory if at all possible. Pricing things out it looks like going aftermarket may end up being a lot less headache and less money at the end of the day so that will likely be the smarter route to go I guess.
Posted via Mobile Device
ahawes is offline   Reply With Quote