The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-05-2007, 11:49 PM   #1
Sir Fisher

Aluminum polish...

which brand of aluminum polish do you guys recommend?? i have a few items to polish that have some bad oxidation on them; i'm currently using mother's brand and some off brand wally world stuff and they seem to be about the same in quality; the process is really slow and it's killing me... i was just wondering if there is any other product that is better or if there is a better way in getting the shine back without me spending hours and hours scrubbing away!!

thanks much!!
2003 Honda Accord EX
2001 Hewes Redfisher 16 Fighting Lady Yellow

Build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=324118
Sir Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 12:05 AM   #2
Shane
Account Suspended

Re: Aluminum polish...

Nev-R-Dull wadding ... followed by Mother's ...
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 08:43 PM   #3
bad6772
Official Site Guitar Shredder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Nev-R-Dull wadding ... followed by Mother's ...
I agree with Shane ive had the best results using this same method.....
bad6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:20 PM   #4
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad6772 View Post
I agree with Shane ive had the best results using this same method.....
third that, Shane
tcb-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 12:14 AM   #5
Kager67
what knocking sound?

First off, use a liquid polish not a paste. The paste types take twice as long. Secondly, if I were you, I would go to a local good-size truckstop. They tend to have the best stuff. I've been polishing wheels and tanks since I was a kid. I can polish all my wheels and tanks in about 2 hours with a good liquid polish. I can't really give a certain brand because some brands aren't sold all over the country. Hope this helps.

kager

1968 C-10

1953 belair two-door post

1955 chevy 3600 big window

1950 studebaker starlite coupe

1968 Impala SS
Kager67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 04:46 PM   #6
Huck

The trim is anodized and that has to come off first (try oven cleaner but don't let it sit--wipe in on then wash it off) then super fine steel wool and then polish. Grills, trim, etc. Use a power buffer with polish ----.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 07:53 AM   #7
impala_631
:( BYEBYE :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
The trim is anodized and that has to come off first (try oven cleaner but don't let it sit--wipe in on then wash it off) then super fine steel wool and then polish. Grills, trim, etc. Use a power buffer with polish ----.
this is true, but the process can be quite involed, you can sand the anodizeing off will be the slowest, or the oven clean can speed things up, but the best is a chemical called LYE, found in alot of drain decloger type stuff, the coustic soda will stip the anodizeing off in about 15-60 minutes, it will then leave the metal really dull and you can wet sand it then hit it with the buffing wheel and compound and finish off with a mothers type polish, it will look like a mirror when you are done, the only thing is that you will want to hit it with a sealer like zoops to keep it from oxidizeing as air will cause the finish to dull quickly
impala_631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:42 PM   #8
Huskerboy2

I've used Autosol. It's pricey, but I like it.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:52 PM   #9
Painter D

theres some stuff called (X-treme) , it looks like cotton candy. its kind of hard to find , but all it takes is a really small piece to do a whole rim. it makes easy work of an oxidized wheel or tank. its not a liquid or paste its a wadding with an abrasive polishing compound in it. hope this helps.
Painter D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:12 PM   #10
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I use Master-Formula. I have tried a LOT of different brands, and this has been the best so far. Take a look at the video here-Link

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:57 PM   #11
Shane
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
I use Master-Formula. I have tried a LOT of different brands, and this has been the best so far. Take a look at the video here-Link
I have some of that too ... saw the demo of the guy polishing the bottom of the Heineken can and bought the "kit" (polish & sealer) at a Super Chevy show ... very, very good stuff as well.

Last edited by Shane; 11-07-2007 at 11:02 PM.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:40 PM   #12
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I have tried many different things and the fact of the matter, I have found that most are more hype than polish. Don't get me wrong, the liquids do take the dirt out of the metals and give a "Brighter" finish than they so called before condition, but if you want to really poish aluminum, then you have to go at it with a plan. First of all is the aluminum really dull and corroded, if so then start with any one of the liquids to get the dirt out of it OR do as I did, purchase some small buffing pads from Eastwoods (or Sears) and polish out the metal using the buffing compounds that you can get at many supply outlets (even Truck stops) Those truckers are always polishing their rims and fuel tanks. I use what is called a "RAZORBUFF" that is about 3" in diameter and real thin, attached to a die grinder. Using it along with a buffing compound the metal is taken to a shiney condition in a very short order. I did four 15" X 8" aluminum rims in about two hours (start to finish). That was starting from a really dull finish to a shiney completed condtion. To keep my rims finished I use Mothers aluminum polish, with a Mothers polishing ball to clean the metal and then finish with the Mothers Billet polish to give it a mirror shine. After the metal is cleaned, I seal the pores with a metal sealant from Wizards Products (there are other brands available---I found the Wizards to be easy to use and works great) to keep the dirt and water out of the metal. my wheels usually stay clean all summer. I use this on my billet Weld rims and my American Racing billets, also.

To prep aluminum to get it clean, if it is a coated or a standard aluminum piece, start by using a 600 grit wet-n-dry sand paper and then follow it up with a 1500 grit and then a 2500 grit paper. Use WD-40 as a wetting agent for the sandpaper. Once the finish is started the buffing then can happen with the compounds and a shine is not far away. I have built a lot of aluminum brackets for my projects out of standard aluminum strapping and pieces just that way and it works, with little effort---just time.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:50 PM   #13
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

I use jewelers rouge and a buffing wheel to get it shined up. I maintain the shine with Mothers Billet polish. Thats been the best so far.
I hear gibbs oil keep it form oxidizing with out making it oily.
s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:03 PM   #14
72 Cheyenne402

How about zoop seal?
72 Cheyenne402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:07 AM   #15
chris71

i use jewelers rougue on a buffing wheel for stuff like valave covers, maintenance it with wenol, sometimes mothers, i love the wenol though, it will take out water and oxidation spots quick. i used zoops seal on my valave covers and since i am on the east coast and frequent the beach once and a while the salt in the air destroye the coating and oxidized my covers. not happy. stay away from it if they used salt on the roads in winter or live near the coast
'71 C10 long-bed fleetside
'83 long-haired brunette wife
chris71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:32 AM   #16
1972CheyenneSuper

I use something called The Intimidator. I had to polish three sets of aluminum semi wheels (18 wheels total) and six fuel tanks this last summer. I used the Mother's Powerballs and it worked like a charm. I also tried using the Mothers Mag & Aluminum polish, but it did not work nearly as fast as this liquid polish. Oh, and I only used about 1 1/2 bottles which I didn't think was too bad.

http://www.theintimidatorpropolish.com/
1972CheyenneSuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 12:05 PM   #17
Musclerodz

Flitz, and nothing else. ZOOP's Seal is good but very expensive.

Mike
Old 11-07-2007, 12:33 PM   #18
Blue'72
Skinned knuckles

A lot of good ideas here! Here's my $.02. I've had an aluminum diamond plate truck tool box for about 9 years now and most of that was sitting outside neglected. After getting my Ranger last May, I was going to use it, but noticed how dull it was. I went to look at new boxes at Lowe's and found a bottle of aluminum polish to restore the new look. Thought I'd try it on the old box and found that if I use it with a buffing wheel on my polisher, then it brightens it right up. A little more work with a rag to clean up the black residue and it looked great! I haven't tried it on anything else yet, but I'll have to see how it works on my brothers wheels now that I think of it. The bottle says it's flammable which I thought was weird.. I can't remember the name of it right now, but its in a clear bottle with a silver label.
'01 Ranger (I've gotta long commute..)
If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

My build thread - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=276904
Blue'72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 12:49 PM   #19
70c10
67-72 Addict!

This is the best I have ever used!. The purple is what I use:http://www.californiacustom.com/

1970 C/10 Fleetside w/Ghost Flames
Lowered 4.5" front and 4" rear (Raked)
355/350 Turbo w/shift kit
10" Redneck Performance Verter w/2500 stall
Hooker Super Comps part#2808-1
Performer RPM Air-Gap
12 Bolt w/3:73 gears- Eaton Posi
Comp Cams XE262 with 1.6 Crane Energizers, Road Demon 625 and Brodix IK 180 heads
70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:31 PM   #20
Mudder

I with 70C10 100%. I have tried just about everthing that has been mentioned in this thread. BTW Xtreme company makes Never Dull. Most all alum polishes or cleaners are made from certain jewlers rougue and a type of vehicle to deliever it such as mineral spirits. When my wheels (Welds) were about 7 yrs old I got an award for the best ride on Weld Wheels at a show with 5000 trucks. My wheels are better looking than new ones and the guys that went to the Board Meet this summer can vouch for them and how easy it is, and how little of time I spend on them. California Customs.
Attached Images

Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:06 PM   #21
Mudder

I will add that this is very good stuff too. I had a hard time deciding which was better, this stuff or California Customs. This is sorta like neverDull but comes in a cotton candy looking rope. About an inch of it will do one wheel. Bot products leave a chrome looking shine.
Attached Images

Old 11-07-2007, 11:06 PM   #22
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudder View Post
I will add that this is very good stuff too. I had a hard time deciding which was better, this stuff or California Customs....
Have you ever use Master-Formula? I have never tried the California Customs, so I can't compare them. I have used the Xtreem polish and my experience has been that Master-Formula was much better than the Xtreem polish.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 11-07-2007 at 11:08 PM.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:01 PM   #23
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Yeah, me too. My buddy Keith talked me in to it, but it turned out to be the best I have ever used. Even using it, I would spend 2-3 hours polishing my wheels front and back. I wasn't about to spend another hour putting the sealer on.

Now that I use the Power Ball on my wheels, I can do all 4 in about an hour. I might consider using the sealer now......maybe.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 11-08-2007, 03:54 AM   #24
Mudder

I have never come across the Master Formula but like to try it. Maybe we should do some trading. I have some new bottles of the Purple.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:03 PM   #25
afoshie

http://www.metalwax.comgo to the website metalwax.com this is the best stuff i have ever seen. it has all the directions for use with it. it works different than the rest of it but it works good.

Last edited by afoshie; 11-08-2007 at 07:46 PM. Reason: added website
afoshie is offline   Reply With Quote