The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-01-2016, 10:29 PM   #1
chtr65

Hubcap fitment question

Would appreciate any help on this one. I have recently purchased a really nice original set of chrome hubcaps from another member. I have two sets of steel rims for my truck. 1rst set is the original set that came with my 65 1/2 ton. The second set are the M1008 Military Blazer rims 15x8. The hubcaps seem like a really tight fit. I have yet to get them on. Didn't want to force them. Question #1 Are they supposed to fit that tight? Question#2 Once the hubcaps go onto the 15x8's, What tool are you using to get them off the deeper dish rims(15x8). I was thinking about designing my own removal tool that won't ruin the hubcaps, and not scratch the rims. I'm lost!
chtr65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 11:05 AM   #2
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

Re: Hubcap fitment question

The hubcaps are very tight when installing on the nub style wheels. The spring type hubcap retaining wheels were easier to install but also easier to lose. I had installed the nub style hubcaps on my 62 K10. They were not the 64-65 or 66 style hubcap but the 61-63.
I would express caution installing the 64-65 type as they are easy to dent and warp.

I took a flat bar and bent a hook at the end to grab the edge of the cap to pull it off the wheel. I was able to pry them off with the tip of my fingers but that was difficult at times.

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otruk63&page=1
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:37 PM   #3
chtr65

Thanks for the reply. The hubcaps that I just bought are original and really nice and straight. I hate to bend them or splinter the back edges. I was thinking about grinding some of the nubs down, just a small amount. Also, I was thinking along the same line that you were, on the hubcap removal tool. I was thinking a round bar with a flattened spoon shape and hooked as you said. Then design a slide weight something on the order of a dent removal tool. This would give a quick snap to the hubcap. I did take a hacksaw blade and slightly marked the lip of the rim were one of the large nubs are located, so I would know were to pry from. I was just wondering how many other folks had the same problem, and how did they deal with it. Thanks again for your thoughts.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:48 AM   #4
rideblue00

The 70s 4 nub rims are a super tight fit. People do polish the nubs down. I have a set and i feel if they don't get polished down, eventually they may split the cap.
rideblue00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:26 PM   #5
chtr65

My current thought was to work the nubs down some. My rims are the m1008's with 2 large nubs and 2 smaller nubs. I also tried the original hubcaps on my original rims and found that they are just as tight. I'll be taking a closer look at them this weekend. I know there are some guys out there running the 15x8 steel wheels. I just didn't want to ruin a good set of original hubcaps by forcing them on and have them split. Nice original hubcaps are getting harder to find these days. Thanks for your thoughts.