The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-12-2002, 09:25 AM   #1
HvyChevy454
Slowly getting CRSS...

Post Possibly propane...?

just got an idea in my head since im so environmentally unfriendly w/ my current ride. Maybe i should have something a little nicer to mother earth. Talking w/ people at Busch Gardens who has a fleet of propane powered vehicles they say it is cheaper for them to run the propane. If that is true i will be going to college this fall and a economically efficient vehicle would be ideal. I ve got an idea for a SB350 transplant that im going to do and the engine needs a overhaul anyway. Does anybody know what i would encounter if i tried to convert a sb 350 to run strictly on compressed propane gas? Positives? Negatives?

------------------
Lutz, Fl
My Team Website
The Heavy Chevy Website
------------------
  • 72 Cheyenne 10 LWB GM 12-bolt 3.08 w/ Auburn Posi
    91 454 Edel Intake 850 cfm carb Comp Cam 268/.500 Hedman Headers Dual 3'' Exhaust
  • 71 Cheyenne 20 4x4 Fact. A/C PS PB Tilt Currently in the works...
    Put it to the floor...

The Heavy Chevy Website
------------------
  • 72 Cheyenne 10 LWB GM 12-bolt 3.08 w/ Auburn Posi
    91 454 Edel Performer RPM Intake 750 cfm carb Comp Cam 268/.495 Hedman Headers Dual 3'' Exhaust
  • 71 Cheyenne 20 4x4 Fact. A/C PS PB Tilt Currently in the works...
Speak Softly and Carry A Big Block...
There is No replacement for Displacement...
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti

HvyChevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 12:15 PM   #2
68 Suburban

You would probably run lpg (liquid propane gas). If your run strictly propane you can pump up your compression quite a bit because the octane is some where around 105? Milage on propane can be about 10% worse than gas. If you find the right places to buy it, it can be cheap. At normal gas stations, it is comparable to unleaded in price. At least here in Phoenix it is. You will also have to make sure you have harden seats for your valves since propane burns a lot hotter. In some states there are great benefits to running propane. I know in Cali. if you apply for a sticker, you dont have to pay any taxes on the fuel you buy. In Arizona your registration is only $5 a year and you can ride in the car pool lanes anytime you want. There are also tax benefits, but I am not sure what they are. If you are looking to do a propane conversion, I have been stock piling parts and my be willing to let some of them go.

------------------
Check out other members trucks

1968 50th Anniversary C-10 Suburban (Tows all these cars all over the place)
1968 50th Anniversary C-20 Pickup CST, Sold to Fine69
1969 SS Camaro Conv't
1960 Lakewood Travel Trailer
1963 Ford Falcon Wagon, Still For Sale
Phoenix, AZ.

Click Here for Parts and Venicles I have Available

THINGS I AM LOOKING FOR:
67-68 SUBURBAN TRIM. $$$$ Reward
for finding the 3rd door trim piece
and the small piece that goes on
the 1/4 panel right behind the
3rd door.
Click Here to see the two pieces I need.

Old 05-12-2002, 12:32 PM   #3
tom hand
CCRider

I would never convert a motor to run strictly
on propane. I would go for a duel fuel setup. That way you can run gasoline when you have to. In many parts of the country you cannot buy propane any where after 5:00 pm, and propane settups are notorious for running out without warning. If running a duel fuel settup you just keep a little gas in your tank,flip the switch,and keep going and use gasoline till it is convenent to get more propane. No interal mods have to be performed to run propane any gas motor will run it. The real big advantage to running propane is engine ware. Motors will do unbelievable miles on propane with less oil changes. The biggest thing that kills a gas motor is the gas itself.

------------------
72 GMC Sierra SWB almost finished---- 84 Softail
Olive Branch MS

Old 05-12-2002, 01:01 PM   #4
Big69C20 Toy
Livin' it up.

I put up a post about this a while ago. What i just found out, from a certified pro in the conversion field is that the EPA just made laws against conversions (at least here in cali). They did this because of some shoddy kits out there and they felt it dangerous (not a real excuse). Now if you want any real conversion done you must have it done by a center, who has to apply for a liscence to do that motor and test that motor as well (more $$ of course). Well other than the hardened valve seats there isnt anything else needed other than a GOOD ignition system. If your ignition is not so hot the motor will run horribly. The min octane on lpg is 104 as i've learned/read. So you can put yer compression way up there to account for the slightly lower BTU's that propane has. The benefit as was said earlier is the fact that the motor has so little wear.

When running LPG a oil change is reccommended every 10k miles and the oil still comes out super clean. I know that many guys running lpg dont change theirs till 16k or so but that's them and they say its fine.

Another advantage to running LPG is you can run a turbo/super or some form of forced induction without the problems accociated (ie wet manifold etc). You get a 10% loss in power (assuming compresion isnt changed) and about a 10% loss in fuel economy.

A disadvantage is where to put that nice big tank, unlike gas tanks you cannot really get tanks made for certain places. IF you want to have some range you'll need a nice 50+ gallon tank, and that'd probly need to be stored in the back of yer truck.

Regarding tax advantages the FED is looking into offering incentives but none are around as of now to my knowledge. Yer state might have certain regulations/bonuses etc for doing the conversion so make some calls to your local clean air commission or whatever.

Good luck, and i might be doing a conversion on my truck someday, if i scrape parts, time and money.

------------------
69 Custom 20, 396BB,Longbed fleetside.
New Oak Bed With SS strips.

Edelbrock performer RPM-O, Edelbrock 750Carb, Headers, HEI, 2 40" glasspacks.
Stereo: Classic-style tape deck/radio, 2 6x9 Cerwin Vega's in doors, 2 10" Neo subs under seats, 1 900 Watt amp.

SN= Ares220 on AIM.

Located in Beautiful Southern Cali or Michigan when i'm at school.

Big69C20 Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 01:06 PM   #5
>X<
registered IWATA user

hvychevy454, are you talkin propane 350 in the 454 truck? are you selling the motor is you do this

Take off that Von Dutch hat before i stab you with a 000 Mack.
>X< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 01:30 PM   #6
tom hand
CCRider

I have worked on hundreds of flathead forklifts that run on propane and a points setup is all you need for them to run correctly. They all do come with hardened valve seats but you need those for unleaded anyway.

------------------
72 GMC Sierra SWB almost finished---- 84 Softail
Olive Branch MS