The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-29-2012, 07:20 PM   #1
diabloceto

A/C questions

So when I bought my truck couple of years ago the previous owner said the A/C worked but they had removed a bunch of bolts and had it unhooked and just sort of hanging there. I finally had the time to replace all the bolts and get it all hooked back up. After turning it back on poof the compressor smoked, seeing as it ain't quite hell but you can see the gates from here hot in Georgia, I really need to get some air going. Since I need a new compressor anyway I was thinking of converting to R134a at the same time. I was wondering does anyone make any kind of kits to do this or what kind of parts would I need to do this? It seems that everything else on the AC but the compressor works too. Thanks for any advice.
diabloceto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:15 PM   #2
ole dollor

Re: A/C questions

if the compressor is bad , be sure and flush out the system for sure if you take it off and it has black gunk and metal in the lines, i would try and get a sanden compressor to install on your brackets....i really like those compressors and they work great....was the compressor smoking or the fan belt smoking because the compressor was not turning...
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:03 PM   #3
diabloceto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ole dollor View Post
if the compressor is bad , be sure and flush out the system for sure if you take it off and it has black gunk and metal in the lines, i would try and get a sanden compressor to install on your brackets....i really like those compressors and they work great....was the compressor smoking or the fan belt smoking because the compressor was not turning...
The compressor was smoking, the fan belt was smoking and it made a horrible screeching sound. I'll see if I can find one of those to order in the next few days. Thanks.
diabloceto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:16 PM   #4
ole dollor

good luck on your a/c conversion , i got mine off e-bay, check to see what is available for your hoses, or what it would take to convert it over to your set up.....to hot to be running around with no a/c....
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:49 AM   #5
425HP409
425hp409

Old Air Products in Ft Worth have everything you need for your truck. Most of the large vendors actually sell their parts. www.oldairproducts.com You will need to flush out the system, replace the drier, install the POA conversion to a cycling system, new expansion valve(insurance), and they have several compressor options. I have used their parts on many cars and trucks with great success. Good People...
Posted via Mobile Device
64 Bel Air Wagon, 400 Small Block
57 Bel Air all original 283 w/Factory Air
77 GMC Sprint, 454/425HP
67 Olds 442, all original
90 ZR1 Corvette
425HP409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:17 AM   #6
MARKDTN

Why do you want to convert to R134? I would just go to your local auto parts store and get a compressor, dryer, and expansion valve and put it back R12 after you flush it good.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:48 PM   #7
Rooster's 67

if converting to R134a there is a kit for converting the STV system to CCOT system. it will also require changing the hoses and all o-rings to R134a compatible materials.

As stated Sanden makes a great compressor and many vendors carry the brackets for converting over, ALL the Harrison A6 compressors are rebuilt (no one makes new as far as I know).
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Rooster's 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:23 AM   #8
70cst

I am staying with R12 as I have been told this will keep your cab much colder.

I have an AC shop close by that does a lot of work on older cars and trucks.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote