The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-23-2007, 02:58 PM   #1
edflores

carb and intake swap on an 86 c10 HELP!!

i have an edelbrock perfomer manifold and 600 cfm performer carb that i wanted to install on my 86 c10 with a 700r4. i was wondering how i accomplish this and if i will need any kind of brackets for the throttle cable or any other thing. these were both new but not in box so i didnt get any instuctions. my other concern is what to do with all the wires that went to my old carb? i need to finish this today because its on my daily.
edflores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 05:11 PM   #2
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Re: carb and intake swap on an 86 c10 HELP!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edflores View Post
i have an edelbrock perfomer manifold and 600 cfm performer carb that i wanted to install on my 86 c10 with a 700r4. i was wondering how i accomplish this and if i will need any kind of brackets for the throttle cable or any other thing. these were both new but not in box so i didnt get any instuctions. my other concern is what to do with all the wires that went to my old carb? i need to finish this today because its on my daily.
I have done a couple trucks in this format, and I took all of the wires and shortened them and sealed them off. If you are going to run this setup, then I would put in an older HEI designed distribuutor and run the hot wire to it. The 700R4 can be run from a pressure switch and the truck's computer can take that proverbial flying toss to the trash can.

The carb can be hooked to the throttle cable by using many different brands of brackets, some of which can be purchased through Oreilly's, Summit Racing, or through many 700 R4 tranny outlets. I personally built mine own, but I also have a mig welder and torch setup to allow for metal work. Mine mounts to the back of the carb at the rear mounting bolt and it holds the tranny cable and the throttle cable in a neat little plate assembly.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 01:39 AM   #3
Pyrotechnic

Pay careful attention to the TV cable geometry and adjustment, otherwise your transmission will be toast in short order.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 10:47 AM   #4
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotechnic View Post
Pay careful attention to the TV cable geometry and adjustment, otherwise your transmission will be toast in short order.
I am not sure about the geometry part , but the adjustment is paramount in the TV cable. The cable should be able to be taken to full extension when the throttle is fully opened and then completely returned to the cable housing when the throttle is closed. I have mine adjusted where it trips the pressure switch in a tight shift pattern and have had it like this for some years, now. Part of that is why I built my own cable bracket. I installed a T-700 tranny that was sold by Premier Performance (now known as Jet Transmissions) and they sent a homemade bracket that gave me some ideas to work from.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 12:37 AM   #5
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

There are som articles in the "garage" section of http://73-87.com that you might want to read.

Slonaker

EDIT: http://73-87.com/7387garage/garage_drivetrain.htm

Last edited by Slonaker; 11-25-2007 at 12:38 AM.
Slonaker is offline   Reply With Quote