The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-12-2008, 02:18 AM   #1
SmallBlockOfFury86

Anyone else ever get into these slumps....

Im in one of those moods where i just feel like i dont even know where to begin.Ever happen to anyone else? Being only 17,i just look at my truck and feel like it'll never get done lol.I need some motivation,need to figure out where to start to try and get things movin around here.

Sorry,just needed to vent haha
SmallBlockOfFury86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 02:38 AM   #2
slug

Re: Anyone else ever get into these slumps....

It Took Me 5 Years To Get My Truck The Way I Wanted. Then The Engine Cratered On Me And It Sat For Like 6 Years. Now Im Back At It Starting From Basicaly A Rolling Chassis. I Have To Install The New Engine And Totaly Strip The Paint To Bear Metal. Iv Been Working On It For Like 9 Months (i Took A 6 Month Break) And It Seemed Impossible, But I Think I Am Going To Have It Atleast Driveable By The End Of The Summer. It Does Get Overwealming, But, You Will Finnally Get To The Point Where It All Is Worth The Time You Put Into It. For Some Of Us It Is Never Finnished. Just Do A Little At A Time And You Will Be At The End In No Time.

Last edited by slug; 03-12-2008 at 02:39 AM.
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 02:41 AM   #3
killthewabbit
Spear and magic helmet!

You'll never get done. You might get to a point that's better than now, but it'll never be done. That's a good thing. What would you do if it were done, learn how to play canasta?
killthewabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:17 AM   #4
imnezrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallBlockOfFury86 View Post
feel like it'll never get done lol.
Here's a "lecture" from someone old enough to be your grandfather. I well remember that exact feeling when I was working on my first bug. Then...guess what? I looked in the garage 8 months later and it was done. As has been mentioned, you "may" never really finish, but that's what makes us all different. Here's one for you..."You can't eat an elephant in one bite". So, my advice is to plan your work, set realistic goal each week (whether it be parts expense or labor completion. You too will be amazed at your progress!
imnezrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:44 AM   #5
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

See videos!!

My truck was parked for almost a year waiting for a new engine. 1 full year to be streetable. No regrets. I found the ZZ4 on Craiglist!! Cheap and inspiring once I got it home.

Last edited by gchemist; 03-12-2008 at 04:46 AM.
gchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:54 AM   #6
greenhorn

ya i feel like that but i'm knew to automotive and once something comes off i'm lost. there is always extra bolds and screws hmm
i'v only started with a tune up, and screwed up the carb. i took it to the garage and it runs great now. i did the nose over and that it so far i'm afraid to start anything ealse, i enjoy driving to much
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:55 AM   #7
greenhorn

ya i feel like that but i'm knew to automotive and once something comes off i'm lost. there is always extra bolds and screws hmm
i'v only started with a tune up, and screwed up the carb. i took it to the garage and it runs great now. i did the nose over and that it's so far. i'm afraid to start anything ealse, i enjoy driving to much
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:06 AM   #8
1980GMC

Sometimes I look at my truck (well all the pieces) and wonder "What have I done", but then I just start working one step at a time and within a couple hours I got more accomplished than I thought and it feels good to sit back and see what Ive done. And I cant wait for the day I get it "done".
1980GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:05 AM   #9
SmallBlockOfFury86

wow,thanks for all of the support and advice guys.yea i'm kinda new to the whole "resto" or "build" scene,whatever you decide to call it.ever since i was younger i always wanted a project,something i could build myself to say that i did it,and now that it's here,i'm just having trouble figuring out where to start.but thanks for all the help,i really appreciate it!
Old 03-12-2008, 06:33 AM   #10
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

i know how you feel and when you feel overwhelmed, the way to do it is to concentrate on one thing and finish that then move onto something else.. my truck works in between resto projects and i had one that was a driveway queen for a couple of years before it got running.. dont sweat it just take a step back prioritize then do and enjoy

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:34 AM   #11
harnalien
TruckincrazY

I have been in a slump for a year and a half trying to decide on what kind of engine to put together. keep wanting to try a vortec build on a remanufactured shortblock, but then i think, ehh, a crate 350 will be enough for me, but i want a cam, oops there goes the warranty, and then i start all over. i don't know when i will figure it out, maybe never, ha ha. i've had the truck for 2 years, and the only thing "finished" is the interior, of course i still need a headliner and visors, seatbelts, seatcover, blah, blah, blah, guess it's not finished after all. hang in there broseph!
harnalien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:24 PM   #12
D13

My current project (an Allis B tractor) has been disassembled in my garage for 9 years. I've done 3 other tractors and a lot of house repairs an the way by, didn't touch it for almost 2 years. i now spend at least 1 hour 3x a week doing "something" on it (last night - degreased 1 hub. Now if I could only find the other...) After it gets done my dad's 82 GMC is next on the list, been wanting to get at it for 5 years. Frustrating, but when the Alllis rolls out it's fresh orange paint, black trim and tiger stripes, and polished stainless (ever seen that on a Tractor?) it'll all be worth it.
BTW I still have the 455 from my Buick that I was going to build 1 wife 2 kids 2 houses 8 truck and 7 tractors ago. It WILL be put together some day.
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 11:59 AM   #13
MNGMC2500

I've found in many of my projects that it's the small details that make you feel better. Just a thought but if you find small things that need to be done, it's amazing how much better you will feel.
MNGMC2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 02:49 PM   #14
AceX
>130dB Moderator

All of us feel like our projects aren't going anywhere form time to time. It's not necessarily a bad thing wither. It allows you to start putting things into perspective and really think about what you should do.

If it's inspiration you need, then look no further...

Hill's Hot Rods '85 Silverado

Hill's Hot Rods C10

Truckin Magazine Cover

Ken's '77

Also, check this thread out: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=262856&page=2

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.

Last edited by AceX; 03-15-2008 at 03:03 PM.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 10:36 PM   #15
SmallBlockOfFury86

thanks for all the help guys!

Ace those trucks are amazing! Thanks!
Old 03-17-2008, 06:27 AM   #16
85gmcguy
Plays with trucks

I can relate, believe me. I'm to the point of body work and I'd rather take a whipping. I try to think of it like eating an elephant. It looks overwhelming on the whole, but just take it one bite at a time and you'll make it. Just take your time

My Dad's Old Truck
85gmcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 08:19 AM   #17
PhilaTruck
Right on the line, baby!

Both imnezrider and Bob said it: Make yourself some attainable goals. Stuff that you will appreciate like new or cleaned wheels. Headers & duals. Or restore/clean the interior. Those are just my ideas of what's relatively easy and makes me feel good when it's done. You may want to start elsewhere, but don't beat yourself up over it if you don't get it all done in 6 months. I was getting bummed about not doing anything to mine in a while, when I took it out for errands and a good tire-spanking this morning. Ahhh, that's better now.

Welcome to the board and make sure to keep an eye on the Northeast regional forum for the mid-altantic get-together. Here's a recent linky about it.

-Todd

Click and scroll down for site vendors!

Subscribe here!
PhilaTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 08:47 AM   #18
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

i'm in a slump right now

my truck is basically finished

are a few little things i would like to do to it, but thats it.

its no fun if i cant work on it
ocbaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 09:50 AM   #19
Low&Slow83

im in a slump right now too. its called being flat broke lol.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:28 PM   #20
SmallBlockOfFury86

thanks for all the help guys!

Low&Slow83 i hear ya! Being 17 with no job succksss,i got laid off from my other job because they were closing,and i have yet to get another one,money is a huge issue for me right now hah!
Old 03-18-2008, 05:01 AM   #21
Low&Slow83

WHOA im in the same boat lol. 17 and jobless. ive been out the past couple days tryin to get something but man its harder than ya think