The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-05-2004, 05:42 AM   #1
67cst
i love summertime

losing a friend to cancer

a friend of mine has been fighting cancer for a couple years now, it started in one of his kidneys, i think he was 18 at the time, they removed it or so they thought, then it started spreading to the other one, about 6 months later he had a fraction of one kidney, then it started getting into his arteries, i think they opened him right up 4-5 times and did what they could, this went on for about another year then 6 months ago he got really sick, the cancer was slowly spreading , the treated what they could but knew it wasnt going away, well up to about 2 weeks ago he was feeling okay then he went for a check up and they found a lump on his intestine, they scheduled an appointement for him in vancouver today but couldnt make the trip because of the pain he was in, they did a scan on him and found cancer in large and small intestine, both lungs, kidney, arteries, heart etc, its all over his body now, and that was all in the last 2 weeks, tomorrow me and some other friends are going to visit him in the hospital, its gunna be real sad, probably the last time ill ever see him....just had to get this off my chest cause im pretty pissed off right now, hes turning 21 this spring and just seems like such a waste...thanks for letting me vent

GLOVE BOX LIGHTS FORSALE, click link for info

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=273724
67cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 06:40 AM   #2
68 Suburban

Thats a rough deal. Especially for a guy so young Im sure he appreciates your friendship and support.
Old 02-05-2004, 07:11 AM   #3
GMCjunkie
Dude...I'm a CHICK

My heart goes out to you and your friend.

'71 GMC Suburban 4x4
GMCjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 08:34 AM   #4
Blue Beard

Sorry to hear about your friend.....

Just lost a good friend to cancer....yound and left a wife and two kids behind.

Met him at work when he first started, very likable person....we'll all miss him.
1956 Chev Bel Air
1977 Blazer 2WD For Sale $3000.00
1978 Blazer 2WD For Sale $7000.00
1978 Silverado
2005 Monte Carlo
Blue Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 10:31 AM   #5
70ChevyLongbed
Howzit?!?

I'm sorry about your friend, it's good to know he has you for a friend. We'll be thinking of him and his family.

70 Longbed, 307, Edelbrock Carb 1404, Edelbrock Intake 2101, Dual Roller Timing chain and gears, 214/214 cam, Comp Roller Rockers, dual Flowmasters.
1999 Chevy Tahoe
2004 Mini Cooper S
71 BMW 2002 - Sold
70ChevyLongbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 10:54 AM   #6
dubie

Man Derek, I'm sorry to hear this. You lost another friend not to long ago as well. Cancer dosn't care who it is or what your age,it can hit anyone. My buddy Dean dies this past summer of cancer that spread from his pancreas to his kidneys, liver, stomach and intestines. He was 43 years old and left behind a wonderful family. The only positive way to look at it, is he will no longer be ruled by this horrible disease. His ain will come to an end and he will be at rest. Just do all you can to make sure he knows he went out with the love an attention that only his friends and family can give. I'll keep you and your friend, as well as his family in my daily thoughts. Please keep us updated

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 11:54 AM   #7
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

That is hard to hear, I'm so sorry, I will keep him, you and his family and his friends in my thoughts. That is such a scary disease.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 12:50 PM   #8
TsgtE662
2A674 Tank Rat

My wife and I lost one of our best friends last year to cancer. She would have turned 50 this year. We know how you feel. It is still hard to deal with at times. But we have a nice picture of her and see her all the time and always think of her. Fortuneately, she knew how we felt about her. Make sure your friend knows how you feel about him too. It can help you in knowing that he knew too because it was said, rather than not. Losing good friends is the worst part of life that we have to deal with.
I feel for you. Its hard I know. Take Care and make your friends knows how you feel, it will make him feel a little better knowing.

'92 GMC Sierra, Sportside, 2wd, 350, Black
'92 Chevy Silverado Extended Cab 4 x 4, Blue
USAFR = 2A674 = Aircraft Fuel Systems Maintenance
i.e. Tank Rat
TsgtE662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 03:10 PM   #9
67cst
i love summertime

thanks guys, last night when i posted i was kinda in shock, now this morning i feel pretty rotten, i cant imagine what he and his family is going though, about 10 months ago i lost a real good friend and when that happened darren told us that he wasnt scared of dying now which was kinda a good thing i guess, it just sucks cause he has faught so hard and it all seems for nothing...anyways thanks for your support guys, im not tryin to get attention or anything it just helps to talk to you guys about it cause a lot of my buddies dont like talking about it

Derek

Old 02-05-2004, 03:29 PM   #10
dtlilly
Account Suspended

Derek, that is horrible news about your friend. That is too young to go. Draw some strength from this situation and be more gratefull of every day. Take care, we are here to listen.
dtlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 04:04 PM   #11
67Fleetsidedream
Wiseass secured himself a BAN

I know what he is going through. I had leukemia CML last year. Immune system cancer. I got a stem cell transplant on the 25th of March 2003. You would not believe what I have been through, but this is not about me. I am in complete remission now. The worst thing about having cancer is that everyone thinks you going to die and they remind you of it every minute of the day. I am sorry that you are going to loose a friend over it. But give him as much support as you can and don't remind him that he has it. He knows that he has it and it is probably going to kill him. He doesn't need doctors right now, he needs friends and family the most. He has my support. He sounds like a fighter and not a quitter.
67Fleetsidedream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 04:25 PM   #12
hobby67stepside

It's good that he has the support of friends like you. He's much to young to die.
hobby67stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 04:32 PM   #13
Huck

Cancer sucks!!

Derek, I understand your frustration---and wish I could create a miracle. Unfortunately Cancer is one of those things that sometimes is just---well---a SOB. I lost a great friend last year---who wound up with colon cancer that had progressed too far to stop. In Aug of 99' my lovemuffin was diagnosed with primary Liver cancer and was given 3 months to live. No signs, no cause, no reason---but we fought it and got a break by getting a second opinion and the doctors at Sloan Kettering in NY performed a miracle with a little help from the "penthouse". Seems that if you catch Liver Cancer early enough, they can do a resection and the dude grows back!!! Kind of like the leg of a frog. Anyway, the lovemuffin is still here, doing great. Miracles sometimes happen. Celebrate your friends life as his fighting and others fighting---has helped slow down this horrific disease. Hopefuly it will be beat soon---. All my best to you, you buddy and his family. Huck
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 04:40 PM   #14
moneyguru

There's not much I can say that hasn't been said.

I have lost several frriends and family members to this terrible disease. While it won't be easy take some solace in the fact that he fought hard, and had loving friends and family around him.

Your post is a reminder to me that we never know how much time we have, and that each precious moment should be relished.
We can earn more money, buy new trucks (new old trucks), but we can't get more time.

Kudos to you for being a good friend and sticking by his side, you both will be in my thoughts.

M.G,

Time to go hug my wife!
moneyguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 04:54 PM   #15
smitty62

I'm going through the same only it's lung cancer and he's not so young. One of the nicest individuals you'd ever hope to meet and absolutely the best diagnostic mechanic in the world--the last of rare breed. Makes me ill to think of it--I tried to get him to quit smoking for years and years. Finally he quit--two years ago and too late. No, it's the not the tobacco companies fault-he knew what he was doing as did I when I smoked. It's just a Damned, damned shame.

Any of you young dumb asses that thinks it's cool to smoke--GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR ASS!!!

Stepsides look like real trucks!
Smitty

smitty62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 05:00 PM   #16
elk hunter

i am sorry to hear about your friend. my family's thoughts and prayers go out to you and your friend. we too lost a close friend last year, but to a car accident. after four days in a coma with brain activity fading her parents removed her from life support. she celebrated her twenty-first birthday just two months earlier. not trying to make our situation sound worse, i just want you to know it does get better. i am pulling for your friend and for you. let him know how much he is loved. i cant tell you how important that is. i truly hope that he pulls through. you never know maybe someday he will be a member of this board, i think we can all hope for that. remember the good times and tell about the often, thats how people live forever.
Old 02-05-2004, 05:27 PM   #17
67cst
i love summertime

thanks for the support guys, elk hunter, not a chance of that, he has driving 3 different mustangs since he got his lisense! lol i always razzed him about that...

Old 02-05-2004, 07:11 PM   #18
lukecp
Formerly yellow72custom

I'm really sorry to hear that Dereck. It is a shame when people that young get so sick and pass on. I lost a very good friend in high school too, so i know just how you feel. Time is the only cure, and you will always have fond memories of having fun together. It has been a couple years for me, but i still laugh at all the stupid and fun crap we did toghether.
Good luck man.
lukecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 09:20 PM   #19
72 Super

So sorry to hear of this.

Ray
Old 02-05-2004, 10:52 PM   #20
super72

I know how you feel. I lost my grandmother to cancer. My wife lost her father to cancer also. I have lost a few friends the same way. It just doesn't seem fair that people who are cruel and just flat out horrible people get to live their lives, and people that are loved by everyone die from something so horrible. The best thing to do is let him know how much you care and remind him of the good times that you have had together. It makes you realize how lucky we are. From the bottom of my heart I am truly sorry you have to experience this.
super72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 11:03 PM   #21
Maximum Overdrive
December 21, 2012

Not much I can say that hasnt already been said by others here. Sorry to here of this happening.
Old 02-05-2004, 11:23 PM   #22
bad 71 chevy

i am sorry to hear this
2.5" Front Drop and 4" in the back
Edelbrock perfomer rpm manifold
Edelbrock 600 cfm carb
Headmen headers
bad 71 chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 11:47 PM   #23
billsbowtie

our prayers are with you and your friend and his family
Old 02-05-2004, 11:47 PM   #24
BtnkBndt
Pennyless Fool

Thats to bad. Just be there for him, I believe thats the best thing a person can do in these situations.

We just lost my stepdad two weeks ago. He was diagnosed with lung cancer two years back, they gave him six months. Two years, he showed em huh! His last week and a half was spent in the hospital, went in with slight cold simptoms and just deteriated from there. He would really brighten up when you came in and talked to him, couldn't talk but you could see it in his eyes. Just be there.

67 Short Step
283/TH400/4.11
BtnkBndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 12:21 AM   #25
weasel29gm
SLOW BUT SURE,BUT CLOSER

I lost two of my best friends last year to cancer, one was like a brother to me. Know what you goin' thru. Hang in there and be there for him and the family. And if you think of doin' something for em' do it your won't regret it and they won't forget.
69 C-10, OWNED 35YRS... 350 over 30, 350 Turbo, 3:73 Posi P/S, P/B Black with red and black int. ''LOVE THESE OLD ''TRUCKS.......
weasel29gm is offline   Reply With Quote