The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-24-2003, 03:38 PM   #1
flyin99
creator of kong

Question Can you still buy GM door panels and dash pads?

I have an 86 silverado, that needs non power window door panels and dash pad..........and could also use an instrument panel...........any help would be great!!!!! Thanks
flyin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 06:51 PM   #2
junkyardpartseeker

Go to this site. www.lmctruck.com They can send you a free catalog of your particular truck. I have an 84 suburban and I have gotten some good parts for it. They are aftermarkets, but a lot cheaper than OEM.
junkyardpartseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 06:53 PM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

im a cheap person if ya go to www.chevyduty.com therye the cheapest of the catalogues on most items

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 08:28 PM   #4
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Quote:
Originally posted by old Rusty C10
im a cheap person
Bob,

I think we've all figured this out.

So far, no online company I've seen sells original door panels. They all sell the Coverlay repros. These things are junk. I know first hand, because I have them on my truck. Where there is carpet, the Coverlays are just plastic which they tried without much success to simulate carpet. They are thin as all get out. Vibrate and squeak like hell. In other words, save you money and try to find some at a junkyard. I don't think GM sells door panels for your truck. I know they don't for my 85.

As far as dash pads, yes they do sell these. They're not cheap though. If you're like Bob, you won't buy them. But I'm not cheap, so I did. I like original stuff where it matters for looks. No cheap crap is going on my truck.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 08:36 PM   #5
flyin99
creator of kong

Thanks.........I do want GM stuff if at all possible, regardless of the price.............I have had so much bad luck with aftrmarket parts, that I am just afraid to buy any more............here is the deal.......my door panels are not cracked or anything like that, but that are getting that bad faded look and the plastic scratches very easy......I don't know if dye would do them any good or not...What do you guys think? Thanks, Brad
flyin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 10:44 PM   #6
Metal Head

Ah, my '79 has the same problem. Well my dad was talking about cloth covers for the panels, saying they are inexpensive. As far as GM stuff I wouldn't know where to get it. My suggestion would be to visit some junk yards or check Ebay maybe.
Metal Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 11:09 PM   #7
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

If your panels have started to scratch easily, dyeing won't do much good. It will help the faded part, but it will probably scratch off pretty easy too. I would try to find some at a junkyard and dye them if need be.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 11:22 PM   #8
littlebubba

Dye for door panels

Dye for the door panels or kickpanels too, that comes in a spray can doesn't hold up to any abuse very well. Looks nice when you first put it on but after that it starts to look really nasty. I have used the same stuff bump shops and car dealers use that needs to be sprayed from a paint gun, and it works the best and looks the best, and wears really well. Just my 2 cents.
But like someone else suggested see if you can find a real nice used set, clean them up. No substitute for the real deal GM factory stuff Made in the USA!.
littlebubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 04:51 PM   #10
pkbinplano
pkbinplano

Cheyenne pick up parts sells OEM door panels and OEM replacement door panel parts. Just bought a door pull strap and two of the end caps for mine. Chevy house gets 15 beans for end caps vrs 6 beans from Cheyenne. Also bought a wiper module for 60 bucks vrs 120 from Chevy
Old 05-26-2003, 06:46 PM   #11
Silveradoshorty

I was just at a swap meet and a guy had a display for dye. He had lots of vinyl, leather, and plastic stuff that was half orginal colour and half dyed a totally different colour. I couldn't scratch off any of the dye stuff. However, it was $140.00 CDN a litre (about $90 greenbacks for a quart) and it has to be sprayed with a gun. No aersol available. Here is the site, and there is at least one american dealer listed, http://www.parasolinc.com/
I am changing my interior over to gray from red, just installed my new floor carpet and (lower) carpeted door panels from Trimparts. Quality is good and they carry the GM stamp of approval. They (door panels) were about $50.00 US, but the vents are not included.

Last edited by Silveradoshorty; 05-26-2003 at 06:51 PM.
Silveradoshorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 08:28 PM   #12
CT-Truckster
?

hey, here ya go, just what everybody's looking for, lol
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=40017
CT-Truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 08:44 PM   #13
crossy
Oh,you can't buy that new

Quote:
Originally posted by CT-Truckster
hey, here ya go, just what everybody's looking for, lol
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=40017
WOW, bet they come with a matching jacket and a Saturday Night Fever 8-track tape . DAVE
98 Vortec project.
94,3500,6.5L 4L80
81 SWB GMC POS finally gone
73 Pinto, stock, w/CragarSS's-eww
LOTS of Cummins trucks.
crossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 08:48 PM   #14
ElGracho
Gentleman Jim Driver

Holy crap, I need that little puking smily!
I hope those panels that guy ruined weren't nice!
'85 Chev C10 Short Wide - Super plain Vortec 4.8 4L60E trans
also: '81 K30, '83 C30 Crew Dually, '84 M1028 CUCV, '85 M1009 CUCV, another '85 C10 SWB, '89 R3500 Flatbed
ElGracho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 11:14 PM   #15
cherry delight

I have red panels out of an 84 blazer no power
cherry delight is offline   Reply With Quote