The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-12-2008, 06:05 AM   #1
Storm Chaser

83 Chevy... what equipment do I have?

I mentioned in my other post that I just got this truck. It was obviously a former project truck.

The truck is a half ton 4x4, originally with an automatic. It was converted to a manual, and the axles were changed to a Dana 60/10 bolt combo (8 lugs). As far as I know, the axles, tranny and transfer all came from the same donor. The guy I got it from said these were 3/4 ton parts, and a local know-it-all says 1-ton. How do I tell?

Also, is there a way to tell if the frame came from the donor truck, or if it is the stock half ton?

What tranny do I have? Reverse is to the left and up, 1st gear is NOT a granny, and the knob insinuates that 4th is overdrive. What transfer case do you think is in it?

I was going to just crawl under it and see to research it myself, but it doesn't seem to want to dry up outside.

Also, as a side note, it drives fine, but 4th gear is noticeably loud, like a whine that varies with vehicle speed. Is this normal, or should I be worried? I've already put close to 500 miles on it with the whine, and no problems yet.
Rear disc swap & Hydroboost
Dually conversion with shackle flip-n-switch
4x4 conversion with 52" springs
Maybe some new body panels
Who needs a car when they make crew cab trucks?
Storm Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:42 AM   #2
Storm Chaser

Re: 83 Chevy... what equipment do I have?

I managed to find out some of it on my own...

GM corporate 14-bolt full floater rear.
NP 208c transfer case

I can't seem to get the camera into an angle to get a good shot of the tranny, and I don't know about the front yet. Was SUPPOSED to be a Dana 60, but I don't think it looks like some of the one's I found online.
Attached Images

Old 02-12-2008, 08:44 AM   #3
Storm Chaser

Here's the front
Attached Images

Old 02-12-2008, 08:47 AM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

im not up on the manual trannys but how about pics of the rest of the truck
3/4 and 1/2 ton frames are the same i believe the one ton is bigger or taller
.. im pretty sure that your axels are off a 3/4 ton

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:04 AM   #5
Storm Chaser

Yea, I guess I should post a few pics of the truck... I'll have to take some tomorrow when the sun's out. Surely someone wants to look at the rust bucket I fell in love with.

After doing alot of internet searching, I'm 75% sure it's a New Process A833. I'm going to crawl under it again tomorrow to see.

One thing is for sure, the truck is mean! It's funny how the same engine in this truck is more alive than it was in the 71 with the auto. And, even though I now have a 4x4 with 33 inch tires and 4.10 gears, the mileage is BETTER than it was in the 71 with highway gears and normal tires (makes me wonder if something was wrong with the tranny in the 71).

At any rate, aside from the noisy 4th gear, I kinda like the way the truck is set up.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:09 PM   #6
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

when it comes to these old trucks, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.. there are some pristine trucks on this board, some totally custom lowered and modded jobs here and some just regular used old trucks that are still having fun and making money for their owners. mine is the last of that group, and my wife and i see the beauty of it every time we drive it.. of course looking at a primered grey truck with multi colored parts on it may not be eye appealing to the masses, and eventually we will paint it etc
every mod you make, every job you do with it and every trip or off road adventure will give ya an ear to ear grin.. thats all part of the old truck experience lol youve got 113 posts.. cant really say welcome to the club but from what youve said you had a 71 and upgraded to a 83 so um welcome to the 73-87 club lol

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 01:02 PM   #7
Dooley

That is not a Dana 60 front which was the front axle for K30 and V30 1 ton 4x4's. The rail section in the middle of the GM pickup frames was nearly 4" taller on the 30 series pickups compared to the 10/20's.
Dooley is offline   Reply With Quote