The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-12-2007, 03:19 PM   #1
dbcox

may trade a jeep for truck

Aguy called and wanted to maybe swap a 1983 3/4 ton chevy long bed w/4 speed on 38 with a 6 and 3 lift. for a 94 jeep wrangler 4cyl auto on 33 with 4.56 gears locker and.some extra stuff. I am going to look at it in a few weeks.does that sound like a good swap(on paper).I havent llooked at it yet. he didnt say anything was really wrong he drives it daily,he said the frontendwas out of line or a tire was out off balance,thats my first concern a out of balance 38 swamper would shake your teeth out,if its out of line can it just be toe in or out without something being bent.why hasnt he fixed it if he is driving it? power sterring pump has a small leak,no dash cracks tires are new,one small rust spot on the door. I have a Had a few of these trucks a 76,87 blazer ,82 swb and i built al of them . Is there any thing else i may be needing to lok at that i havent thought about. I can tell alot when i drive it but i was concerned about the front end.He sent me a pict it is a good looking truck. i will work and hunt out of it. Any ideas THANKS
dbcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 03:43 PM   #2
redz 1970 K5
OBS guy

Re: may trade a jeep for truck

Show us the pics, so that we may further evaluate...

Seems pretty reasonable to me I guess on paper. You will have to be thorough with the truck though, because older lifted truck owners typically tend to 'overlook' some things when the describe it. Sort of like that chick on myspace that says she weighs 120 and looks like Jessica Simpson when in reality she looks like Homer Simpson and weighs a good deuce-deuce fifty...

Be thorough and don't get too caught up into the deal until you know what you are getting into.
redz 1970 K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 04:34 PM   #3
dbcox

He sent the pic on the phone so i dont have one emailed yet. i may see if he has some. One spot to check will be around the steering box. he said the truck has a crate 350 was not sure from were the previous owner did it, the transf case is the np 208 (chain drive) if im correct but said he had a np205 not sure whats wrong with it but i can have it also. I guess the i will have to wait and see and drive it. I know there is nothing wrong with my jeep so he is going to have to have a pretty good setup.It wont be a daily driver but it will get used a good bit depends on the time of year hunting fishing firewood .
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2007, 06:30 PM   #4
redz 1970 K5
OBS guy

That's once cool hunting jeep... It would take a lot to talk me out of that for an 83... At least you know about the Jeep, and what it may need up ahead.

Don't let him push the crate 350 as a selling point. Personally, undocumented crates or rebuilds as a highlight from a seller mean nothing to me anymore. Unless he has the paperwork from the builder or rebuilder, I don't even care what someone put in it if the support documents are there. I have had 1 undocumented 'rebuilt 350' and 1 undocumented 'crate 350' experience where both needed to be torn down and rebuilt within a year of ownership. I would take a tired higher mileage bone stock #'s matching engine to be honest. At least I know where I stand!

Has he regeared the truck? He should have 4.56s for those 38s. The 4 speed (assuming SM465) is a good tranny with a low gear, but those tires will still put a hurting on the drivetrain with 3.08s or 3.73s.

I am not feeling the trade anymore... I would keep the Jeep personally. If you needed bed space, you can always buy a rugged single axle trailer to move your kill back home.
redz 1970 K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 07:14 PM   #5
dbcox

I do have a trailer, but i also have a 74 baja bug that i drive almost daily. I am going to sell the jeep regardless b/c i just got a 68 swb stepside that needs to be rebuilt.also a 99 z71 i drive some that has never been off the paved highway. i can use a truck that i wouldnt have to worry about evry scratch and peice of dust. If i do trade i will sell the 69 if i sell the jeep i will rebuild the 69.I guess it will come down to me driving and checking the truck over good.here is a pic of my truck i bought new in 99 that i dont get dirty.It may be dumb but i dont want to be restoring it in a few years and they cost to much to tear up or get another new one.
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2007, 08:09 PM   #6
edman87
junk collector

I personally would not want your jeep- no offence, but it is a 4cyl auto.
But, unless it is a VERY nice truck, you jeep would be worth a lot more!
Here, amd most everywhere else, jeeps bring a lot more money than a comprible truck.
What is your jeep worth? My guess without looking it over would be 5k, maybe a little more.
Without seeing the truck, I would say in average condition, not beat, it would be worth 3k. Now , most lwb 3/4 tons of the era with big swampers have been beat pretty hard, so it would have to be a very nice example to be worth the same money as your jeep.
That is just my opinion, I could be wrong! and I havn't seen any real details on either, but your jeep looks to be in nice condition.
'98 jeep tj
'52 willys cj3a
edman87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 09:31 PM   #7
magsnubby

I wouldn't trade. You're jeep, even with a 4 banger/auto combo, is worth more than the truck. Since you said you were going to sell the jeep it sounds like you'll most likely sell the truck. I would figure out which on would be easier to sell, the jeep or the truck. Around here the jeep would sell faster and bring more money than the truck. Also sounds like there could be some serious issues with the truck's front end.
magsnubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 10:06 PM   #8
hiway
Mad Scientist

I agree with magsnubby. A bigger market for your jeep. Sell it and then buy the truck you want.

86 1/2ton on tons! sbc/465/208/D60/14/35's
81 Postal....with 468 bbc
97 Merc Marq comuter
07 Suburban
02 Danger Ranger
hiway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 05:33 AM   #9
84 400
Sb 400 club

well we need a pic of the 83. now i have been looking at jeps for the past few months and that jeep you got would bring around 5k easy here. it is fuel injected, locked 33's. It is a little more practical then 38' swampers. the 83 sounds like more of a bog truck. the "crate" motor might be a good indication that the truck was beat on. like i said i will not count out the truck just yet but with no pic and the info previded the jeep seems like it is worth more. Also how much do you like the 69 ? You could always sell both the jeep and the 69 and go buy a nice 73 to 87 and have money left over.

i will say this though on paper the jeep seems like it is worth more but this truck must be pretty nice for you to consider the trade. Good luck and in the end it all depends if you think it is worth it. but that will have to wait till it is test driven......
1980 Corvette L-48 4 speed
1992 Mustang GT built 5.0 5 speed

1985 C10 LWB Sold
1982 K10 SWB plow truck Parted out
1986 D30 M1028 fire brush truck Parted out

Last edited by 84 400; 01-13-2007 at 05:35 AM.
84 400 is offline   Reply With Quote