The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-14-2012, 05:21 AM   #1
76C10Stepside

Chrome Bumper: New or Used?

The rear bumper on my 76 Stepside is rusty and a little bent. I was thinking of buying a new one from LMC, specifically, the 38-9874 CHROME BUMPER PREMIUM, with 5 year warranty: http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cc/full.aspx?Page=80

I've heard that repro chrome bumpers (chrome anything) is not near as good as original. Pretty sure one of my other cars has a repro front bumper, and the chrome is pretty thin in some places.

I'd be happy with a good used original bumper, but where to get one?

Anybody out there bought a NEW bumper from LMC or elsewhere? Are you happy with it (if YES, where did you get it)?

Thanks!

Last edited by 76C10Stepside; 08-14-2012 at 05:26 AM.
76C10Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:55 AM   #2
andrewmp6

Re: Chrome Bumper: New or Used?

If you going to keep the truck a long time and got the cash i would rechrome the bumper you have.I know n2trux has the lmc bumper with the fog lights in it see how he likes his.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:20 AM   #3
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Why not buy a NOS bumper for a lot less?

http://www.classicparts.com/1981-91-...info/65-072GC/

Put one on my 87. It was a new GM bumper. Can't go wrong with those.
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:33 AM   #4
sqzbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmp6 View Post
If you going to keep the truck a long time and got the cash i would rechrome the bumper you have.I know n2trux has the lmc bumper with the fog lights in it see how he likes his.
He mentioned it was a rear bumper. It's also bent! No fog lights needed on the rear. I just installed a new (all chrome) chrome rear step bumper from LMC replacing the grey one that came with the truck and it really looks good. It took me and a buddy about an hour and a half (buddy slowed me down).
sqzbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:40 AM   #5
Rich84

That bumper is the fleetside...I don't see an NOS listed for the stepside..Figures.
I need one too.
The brackets also are pretty expensive.need those also.
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:09 AM   #6
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

I bought the 82 front bumper from LMC and its not really quality at all... im planning on a replacement when the swap meet comes around

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:43 AM   #7
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Well I fail at reading comprehension in the mornings it seems. I totally missed the part about a stepside. My bad.

I'd find out where my local bodyshops get their new aftermarket chrome bumpers at and go with them. Nothing beats buying something local and being able to take it back easily if need be. Most shops will give you a name and a phone number for something like this, or they will order it for you and you can buy it from them.
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:35 AM   #8
1774btcrew

I say rechrome yours. I too have been up and down on what to do aftermarket or rechrome factory. From what I have seen the aftermarket bumpers are much thinner. You can actually twist some of them with your hands
1774btcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:23 PM   #9
76stepsidechevy

Yea, I just bought a repop rear stepside bumper and while the chrome looks nice its very thin. I probably wouldn't want to stand on it.
76stepsidechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:30 PM   #10
76C10Stepside

Thanks for the feedback. Here's some more info.
Classic Parts does have a rear stepside bumper, and it's about $25 less than LMC's. Says triple chrome plated ("same as others premium"), does not say "NOS".
My guess is that they are both selling the exact same inferior repro part.

1. LMC Truck Parts:
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cc/full.aspx?Page=24
38-9874 Chrome Bumper Premium
Price: $189.95
Oversize Part Charge: $20.00
Subtotal: $209.95

2. Classic Parts:
http://www.classicparts.com/1967-87-...ctinfo/65-050/
65-050 Triple chrome plated, same as other vendors "premium" bumpers.
Price: $149.95
Oversized Shipping Charge: $27.95
Subtotal: $177.90

Did not find any locally (craigslist). Good used parts are hard to come by around here. Wrecking yards charge admission to get in and most of the parts have already been pulled and sold on ebay or whatever.

I'd like to get my bumper rechromed, but it's really rusty and is BENT slightly. Figured cost to get it straightened and re-chromed would be way too much. Area plating services are hard to contact, no website and don't answer the phone, many are out of business.
I prefer to get parts and service locally, but have been burned too many times. The World Wide Web has affected business in much the same way that the Interstate highways did.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:31 AM   #11
pwtr02ss

I have the one from classic parts, it seems to be a pretty nice part. I bought it with the brackets and bolts. I can't remember what I paid but I got the more expensive one. Its not a thin bumper at all and fit well. I waxed it as soon as I put it on and so far it seems to be doing good.
pwtr02ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:24 AM   #12
76C10Stepside

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwtr02ss View Post
I have the one from classic parts, it seems to be a pretty nice part. I bought it with the brackets and bolts. I can't remember what I paid but I got the more expensive one. Its not a thin bumper at all and fit well. I waxed it as soon as I put it on and so far it seems to be doing good.
Thanks! Think I'll give that one a shot.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #13
1774btcrew

I am sure you are not up on the ins and outs of chrome shops. Bumper shops take the bumper in, strip the plating, straighten the bumpers and then use copper to fill any imperfections. The metal is then polished and goes through the plating process. It is AMAZING what some of these shops can do for old bumpers! I did read what he originally posted and was aware his wasn't perfect.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:27 PM   #14
Tim Christian

Well I will give you my two cents my little green 67 has the same bumper you are showing from LMC and Chevy Duty. (Repo) but from a bord vendor not them guys. and after on there a couple of years I found a GM NOS one all excited I removed my Repo and installed the NOS one well guess what the Repo one had better trimed edges and the chrome was much nicer. So I removed the NOS one sold it and got my money back reinstalled the Repo and has been on there every since. So I would not call sometrhing inferior untill I tried it!!!!
Tim Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #15
76C10Stepside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Christian View Post
Well I will give you my two cents my little green 67 has the same bumper you are showing from LMC and Chevy Duty. (Repo) but from a bord vendor not them guys. and after on there a couple of years I found a GM NOS one all excited I removed my Repo and installed the NOS one well guess what the Repo one had better trimed edges and the chrome was much nicer. So I removed the NOS one sold it and got my money back reinstalled the Repo and has been on there every since. So I would not call sometrhing inferior untill I tried it!!!!
That's a VERY nice truck you have there!

Sounds like the retailers source bumpers from multiple manufacturers (if they even buy direct from mfg, which they may NOT).

The original rear bumper on my truck is pretty sturdy for a standard bumper.
Hope the replacement is as good or better! I like the look of the regular bumper on these old stepsides, but the step bumpers are more useful. I have a proper hitch, but the step would make it easier to get in/out. Then again, I have the steps for that.
Which type of bumper would YOU put on my truck, original or step???
Old 08-19-2012, 02:52 PM   #16
sqzbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76C10Stepside View Post
That's a VERY nice truck you have there!

Sounds like the retailers source bumpers from multiple manufacturers (if they even buy direct from mfg, which they may NOT).

The original rear bumper on my truck is pretty sturdy for a standard bumper.
Hope the replacement is as good or better! I like the look of the regular bumper on these old stepsides, but the step bumpers are more useful. I have a proper hitch, but the step would make it easier to get in/out. Then again, I have the steps for that.
Which type of bumper would YOU put on my truck, original or step???
Here's a pic of my new all chrome step bumper. I was a lot easier than I thought it would be. me and a buddy slid it right over the reciever hitch and it helped to hold it up while we searched for the right holes to mount the bolts. Also have pic's of my mudder and streeter!
Attached Images

sqzbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:31 PM   #17
1774btcrew

I have tried the aftermarket ones from LMC and they are just not the quality of the factory stuff. I just like the original stuff. Like I said, I compared the two side by side and the aftermarket was thinner and more flexible. I guess if I wanted Toyota quality I would drive one.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:13 PM   #18
pwtr02ss

I wouldn't talk about quality, especially in this body style of gm truck lol. My 74 fits together about like a taiwan fender would fit a new car now and its all original.
pwtr02ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:21 PM   #19
1774btcrew

The stuff on my truck fits. A lot of it looks like it was put together on a Friday or Monday though. Being a bodyman I have dealt with both factory and aftermarket and I will take nice used factory over new aftermarket every time. There are some wear items you have no choice but to buy aftermarket but body parts always have to be factory for me!
Old 08-19-2012, 09:06 AM   #20
Rich84

I had a step bumper... After lowering the step was pretty useless.
Posted via Mobile Device
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:45 AM   #21
tucsonjwt

My 83 came with an aftermarket heavy diamond tread step bumper painted silver, but I had to have it modified so it would clear the trailer hitch when the box was in full up position. I had the center lower "step" cut out and a plate welded to to top of the step opening for stability. I also had the bumper raised up when it was welded to the scissor arms so I did not have that big gap between the bumper and the back edge of the bed floor - that space traps material when the box is dumped. The inside of that heavy step bumper is still rusty in AZ because they were very light on the paint when it was installed. Someday I will get in there and hit that area with a spray can.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:06 PM   #22
76C10Stepside

Thanks to all for your real-world experiences and photos. I've decided that I like step bumpers on long bed fleetsides, and sport bumpers on short bed stepsides. :-)

I also need (7) SS bed strips. Here's what the order costs work out to (today) for these parts from LMC and Classic Parts. It's funny how they each figure out different ways to have the total come out about the same. I need to get going on this project before the wet weather starts up. Guess I'll order from Classic Parts THIS time, unless anyone has negative experiences to share about them in the next hour or so:

For rear bumper and bed strips all from LMC:
Parts Total: $294.85
USA Delivery & Handling: $31.75
OVERSIZE: $20
Order Total: $346.60

For rear bumper and bed strips all from Classic Parts:
Parts Total: $232.85 (with bumper sale price of $134.95)
Tax: $0.00
Shipping (USA Residential Ground): $95.14 - WHAT??? Only other choice is "USA Commercial Ground".
Total: $327.99
Old 10-10-2012, 12:30 AM   #23
76C10Stepside

UPDATE: The new bumper and bed strips arrived today, on schedule. Stupid UPS did not even ring the doorbell or knock. They usually ring and run like hell. I've chased them down the street several times after they left a wrong address package and they just keep delivering packages on the next block, pretending they don't hear me screaming at them.

All packaging and items were intact. The bumper was wrapped in a sheet of paper and in a box, no padding. It has that "aftermarket" look, inside not painted like OEM were, but looks better than the old rusty one. The bed strips were very well packed in a heavy cardboard tube. They were mounted on an oak board, wrapped with tape in 5 places, with newspaper "centering donuts" in two places, more paper donuts, several wads of newspaper on the ends, and wood plugs nailed on with 3 sheathing nails. So, the guy at Classic Parts I challenged the reason for the steep $95 shipping charge was not lying about the special care they put into packaging to avoid damage in shipping. I wonder how LMC does it?

Last night, I scoured Home Depot for new bed hardware. The 56 bed strip bolts needed will have to be at least half-inch longer than stock (1-1/4") for the 1-inch thick Trex. They had a few 1/4x2 inch stainless carriage bolts for 80 cents apiece, stainless lock nuts for $1.16 for 3, didn't have the 1-1/2 inch washers in stainless. They didn't have a suitable replacement for the BIG carriage bolts, so I'm hoping the old ones will be just long enough. Sure is hard to find good hardware for a good price locally anymore.
Also checked the paint department for bedliner and all they have is Rustoleum in a spray can, which I've read is lousy. Will troll the auto parts stores and Kmart.
Attached Images

Old 10-10-2012, 01:10 AM   #24
'79squared

Nuts and bolts? Try a smaller mom and pop hardware store. I have one not o far away and they have a wayyyyyyyyy better selection than any lowes or home depot.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:48 AM   #25
76C10Stepside

Quote:
Originally Posted by '79squared View Post
Nuts and bolts? Try a smaller mom and pop hardware store. I have one not o far away and they have a wayyyyyyyyy better selection than any lowes or home depot.
Good idea. Closest thing in my part of town is Ace Hardware, which has been pretty hit or miss, but I keep trying. Maybe I'll try a few farther out towards the farms. Shoot, even the farm supply stores around here are getting hoity-toity, some of the highest prices I've seen anywhere!