The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-30-2012, 04:21 PM   #1
pritch

Well, Ol' Green let me down:(

It's been fairly cold for the last week or so and I haven't tried to start my '68 until today. Denied! She didn't even want to talk about it. She started right up with a jump, though but still, my battery is only 2 years old and the temps have been getting up out of the teens during the day. I'll have to see if it gets to be a pattern. Better still, maybe it will warm up now that the days are getting longer

I had to get out my spare key, so I could have my jump running and start the '68 without having to take my key ring apart. My spare key is funny:

That's the way that I got it. It came with that one and a hardly used original key. I use the original, but clearly this is the one that was used for much of this trucks life. I can't figure out why someone would bolt a key to another key when it ain't broken. Maybe he wanted to know which one it was in the dark.

You can tell by the wear on the nut and screw that it's been like that for a loooong time!

Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Well, Ol' Green let me down:(

Sorry about ole green. But,it's the battery's fault,don't blame her. Maybe the previous owner had arthritis in their thumbs.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:05 PM   #3
AustinScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritch View Post
It's been fairly cold for the last week or so and I haven't tried to start my '68 until today. Denied! She didn't even want to talk about it. She started right up with a jump, though but still, my battery is only 2 years old and the temps have been getting up out of the teens during the day. I'll have to see if it gets to be a pattern. Better still, maybe it will warm up now that the days are getting longer

I had to get out my spare key, so I could have my jump running and start the '68 without having to take my key ring apart. My spare key is funny:

That's the way that I got it. It came with that one and a hardly used original key. I use the original, but clearly this is the one that was used for much of this trucks life. I can't figure out why someone would bolt a key to another key when it ain't broken. Maybe he wanted to know which one it was in the dark.

You can tell by the wear on the nut and screw that it's been like that for a loooong time!

My dad did something very similar to his truck key... He said he did it to keep the ring of keys from wearing out his dash.
We lived on a dirt road growing up & the ring of keys would swing back and forth rubbing the dash....

Scott

My 68-SWB Photo Build Thread

All my Google Albums
AustinScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:29 PM   #4
Square_78

I got one of those keys copied at Canadian tire and they have an extended version thats 10x easier to hold onto and turn.

"I refuse to go disc brakes. I actually love drum brakes. It makes for an adventure." - 50bomb

1978 Chevy shop truck - static 6/8"
1970 GMC 1500 - Accuair eLevel Resto-mod http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=537497
Square_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:35 PM   #5
cdowns

the batterys fault the trucks fault but fur sure not the owners fault for keepin the battery cables cleaned on all four ends???
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:07 PM   #6
midniteblues

with gloves on it kinda tough too turn the key in a 67 with the small bezel that setup would work good for a winter key
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:13 PM   #7
pritch

Well, upon further review, maybe the alternator belt was a little loose. At least, that's the only thing I could see.

After I first got it going, I took my dog for a run and when I got back home, nothing. No juice. Yeah, all the connections are clean. I jumped it again and took the battery cable off and it stayed running. I tightened up the alt belt and jumped it again and let it run for a half hour or so, and now it seems to be working fine. I did remember in the middle of all this that last time I drove it, which was at night, the lights were getting mighty dim by the time I got home. I didn't really give it a thought at the time. I guess I should have.
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:24 PM   #8
darush01

Mine did that and it was tbe starter wire loose
Posted via Mobile Device
darush01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:47 PM   #9
trac209

I didn't know Utah had winter lol.