The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-19-2007, 09:20 AM   #1
rhlanham

Finding discontinued GM parts

Where is the best place to find discontinued GM parts? Apparently, the air injection pipe I need for my 84 with the 250 is not made anymore. The GM part # is 14077292. I have been trying online about everywhere I can, and will search the parts board here too. Thanks!!!

To add a question that I hope isn't stupid, I do need this part for the engine to run properly, right??

Last edited by rhlanham; 06-19-2007 at 09:22 AM.
rhlanham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 10:20 AM   #2
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Re: Finding discontinued GM parts

I have heard that any Chevy dealer can do a parts search to see if discontinued parts are available in any other dealership's stock. You might ask a local dealer or two about it. You may have to find one that is willing to work with you, though. I have never tried this, but have seen it mentioned on sites several times, so take that advice with a grain of salt.

Surely a part like that is available from the aftermarket. Have you check parts stores? You might need to try someone like NAPA, or look at www.rockauto.com.

Do you need the part for it to run right? I doubt it, but you may need it to pass emissions inspections if you have them.

Slonaker
Old 06-19-2007, 10:35 AM   #3
rhlanham

Actually, my local chevy dealer was the one that clued me in to the fact that it was discontinued. All of the online sites list the part for the 8cyl engines. He was able to give me the GM part # for the 6cyl, but he showed it discontinued, and looked and said none of his distributors in the US had it either.

If I only need it for emissions, maybe I can just cap off the inlets??
rhlanham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 10:46 AM   #4
dswancutt

I just scrapped out the 250-6 in my 79, but the pipes where rusted to the manifold, most likely the same condition as yours. I am not sure if the pipes are made aftermarket, I know the valves on the end are. Best bet would be checking the salvage yards. Good luck in your search.
dswancutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 10:49 AM   #5
68GMC454
THE VILLIAGE IDIOT

i found out that chevy does not carry a new straight 6 anymore either...i was like your kidding right...so if i want a straight 6 i got to go through a parts store,, and to top it off, the dealer has never installed one, and said it might cost up to 1150.00 to install..i told them no thank you..
Old 06-19-2007, 10:55 AM   #6
teamroper!

I ran the part number on our dealer locator, no dealers are showing stock. Sorry
teamroper! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 02:55 PM   #7
ChaseDale3and8

I have a buddy that works at my local Chevy dealership in the parts department. He says that GM is discontinuing parts for these trucks because they don't want them on the road due to the bad publicity over the side saddle gas tank issue. He told me that they discontinue parts for these trucks on a weekly basis.

No doubt some of this stuff is going to be next to impossible to find in GM and many of the parts that we need will have to come from the aftermarket or good used sources. ...Joe
ChaseDale3and8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 04:55 PM   #8
dswancutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseDale3and8 View Post
I have a buddy that works at my local Chevy dealership in the parts department. He says that GM is discontinuing parts for these trucks because they don't want them on the road due to the bad publicity over the side saddle gas tank issue. He told me that they discontinue parts for these trucks on a weekly basis.

No doubt some of this stuff is going to be next to impossible to find in GM and many of the parts that we need will have to come from the aftermarket or good used sources. ...Joe
I would more likely say that is is because the newest of this body style is 20 years old (discounting suburbans and crew cabs) and the oldest is 34 years old. The truth is it is supply and demand. The number of these trucks on the road is dwindleing, and I believe GM only has to supply parts for a set number of years. If you went in and tried to find parts for an 88, you would most likely find that a lot of parts have been discontinued also.
dswancutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 08:13 PM   #9
WLPTMP

i 've seen parts disc. after 3-4 years
WLPTMP is offline   Reply With Quote