The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 02:40 PM   #1
Larry S

15 yr old son ask me a question I cant answer

When working on my 69 and trying to figure out the fuel delivery system, we was working on an idea for an in tank fuel pump. My son said, "let me get this straight, we're goin to run a hot wire down inside a gas tank and it wont blow up?" I said, son all of the newer vehicles have in tank pumps and weve changed out several of them over the years. He said, "but why dont it blow up?" I said, "son I have no idea nor have I ever thought about it." So Im bouncing it off you guys. Help me make sense of his question. I know you guys are goin to think Im crazy for some of the stuff Ive put on here.
Thanks.

Last edited by Larry S; 02-01-2010 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:14 PM   #2
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Re: 15 yr old son ask me a question I cant answer

1) Gotta have oxygen to burn or explode.

2) It's in gasoline, so it can't spark, so it can't start a fire.

3) Gasoline can't burn. Gas vapor burns, but only in the correct air/fuel ratio.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 02-01-2010, 03:33 PM   #3
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

also the fuel pump is insulated so the electricity doesn't flow through the gasoline.
68 3/4 ton (Project)-350 Small Block, .030 over, 10:1 comp, 3998993 heads, C3BX edelbrock intake, comp cams XE268, Holley 670 SA, long tube headers, dual flow 40's, E-fan, Alum rad, currently under the knife getting shortened and bagged build thread
41 3/4 ton (wife's)-flatbed, fully restored to original
01 Tahoe LT 4WD (my daily driver)-Magnaflow Muffler, Rollin on 22's
02 Ford Mustang Convertable (Wife's Car)-Flowmaster 50, Clear corners, Intake, sittin on 18's
Old 02-01-2010, 03:43 PM   #4
1968SWBBigBlock

The fuel pumps are XP rated - XP = explosion Proof
The windings, seals and insulation all play a factor in achiving XP ratings.
Lunati 60204 cam, Micro Trol lifters,
Ported Edelbrock Performer Rpm manifold armor coated, Pertronix Triple Strike Ignition
Holley 770 Street Avenger carb,Headers armor coated
Built by Watson Ruppel Performance in Sarahsville Ohio.
Hardshift Tranny Built Turbo 350,TSI 10" 3000 stall
12 Bolt Eaton Posi 4.10 Richmond Gears moser axles
18.5" x 31" Hoosier Pro Street Radials
ET Classic 5 Wheels - polished
Power Steering, Power Brakes,Disc Brakes,Tach & Gauge Dash, Tilt,Factory Air (gone)
Custom Paint & Body Work

Special thanks to my wife, my son and my money tree
Old 02-01-2010, 09:41 PM   #5
tap500

Pumps are in explosion-proof housings as stated earlier. Also you are probably in the UEL or Upper Explosive Limit, too rich of a mixture for combustion. just like your carb if it is too rich the engine won't fire.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:49 PM   #6
69 longhorn

I thought would be goin a diff direction......when I was 15 yrs old(about 37 yrs ago), I asked my daddy a ? that he had a time answering! I asked, dad why are women so crazy? after a few stammers, the old man replied"you need to figure out if you need to live with them or not"! Well dad I dont think I can live without them I know it dont help with an answer......but I hope you see a little humor in it those kids will keep you "hoppin"! carazyAL
Old 02-01-2010, 11:06 PM   #7
GeneralDisorder

Besides what's already been stated, I'll add that they went to in-tank pumps because they are quieter and because the gasoline acts as a coolant for the pump motor. It's also harder on the pump internals to suck than it is to push - if a rotary pump has to suck a long distance before gasoline reaches it then the pump internals experience faster wear and higher temps before the cooling/lubricating gasoline reaches them.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:09 PM   #8
wwotr

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralDisorder View Post
Besides what's already been stated, I'll add that they went to in-tank pumps because they are quieter and because the gasoline acts as a coolant for the pump motor. It's also harder on the pump internals to suck than it is to push - if a rotary pump has to suck a long distance before gasoline reaches it then the pump internals experience faster wear and higher temps before the cooling/lubricating gasoline reaches them.
You got THAT right.
My Wife learned the Hard way, by overheating the Fuel Pump in her
97 Trans Am.
Take Out the Driveline.
Take Out The Rear End.
Cut The Exhaust
Put everything BACK together.

$900.00 please.............

We now go no lower than a 1/2 Tank on any of our Vehicles.
back in November of 2011.
I don't visit the site much anymore,
but please feel free,
to drop me a private message.
RIP...."RATIKLE"
Old 02-01-2010, 11:58 PM   #9
special-K
Special Order

How about an empty (virtually) tank?Your son has an inquiring mind.That`s a great thing.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 02-02-2010, 02:46 PM   #10
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
How about an empty (virtually) tank?Your son has an inquiring mind.That`s a great thing.
you bring up a very important subject there. when you replace a fuel pump (in tank) you MUST have fuel in it before turning on the pump. I saw pictures of a shop (at least it used to be a shop) where a tech did it wrong. he turned the key on with an empty tank. the building is gone, tools gone, techs badly burned, customer vehicles destroyed. since that I ALWAYS disconnect the battery until I know for a fact the pump is submerged in fuel.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:37 AM   #11
bramsey

My opinion is A hot wire has no danger or real issue until it is connected, a loose hot wire wont catch a fire. Otherwise a batter would cause a fire just sitting near gas vapors, it has to ground to create a reaction, if groundedsolid and current is running it wont do anything. But if something is faulty and causes a spark and it's near the vapor, kaboooom...
Old 02-02-2010, 09:05 AM   #12
Kayotic

Remember TWA Flight 800. Atleast I do, at the time I was living on Long Island, Ny.

Unless you believe it was a missile strike that brought the aircraft down, the other theory is an explosion in a nearly empty fuel tank, the fuel vapors were ignited by an electrical short.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TWA_Flight_800#Conclusions

Last edited by Kayotic; 02-02-2010 at 09:10 AM.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:12 PM   #13
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayotic View Post
Remember TWA Flight 800. Atleast I do, at the time I was living on Long Island, Ny.

Unless you believe it was a missile strike that brought the aircraft down, the other theory is an explosion in a nearly empty fuel tank, the fuel vapors were ignited by an electrical short.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TWA_Flight_800#Conclusions
One theory on flight 800 - the one I like best - is that a high voltage wire running next to a low voltage wire 'leaked' some current into the lower voltage wire. This sparked the vapors in the center wing tank.

So unless GM runs the starter wires with the fuel pump wires through the gas tank, we'll all survive.

That flaming Chevy saddle tank on NBC was proven to be a ratings ploy by the network. They heard Chevy trucks with saddle tanks would blow up when hit on the side. They couldn't get it to work so they rigged a charge up to 'help' their arguement. A laywer with a sharp pencil slowed down the tapes and discovered the charge and made NBC shut up.

Editted by Special-K
Center City, MN

Last edited by special-K; 02-05-2010 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Did you a favor.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:59 PM   #14
mclairmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
I wish you had not added this to your otherwise informative post. Statements like this can be inflammatory in more ways than one -- no pun intended.

If you'll delete it from your post, I will delete this post.

'Nuff said.
I thought "Jap" was considered a bad word nowadays. I'm not Japanese but could see a person of Japanese descent being offended.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:19 PM   #15
junkyardjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclairmo View Post
I thought "Jap" was considered a bad word nowadays. I'm not Japanese but could see a person of Japanese descent being offended.
It's a politically correct world we live in. JOHN (NOW....BACK TO FUEL PUMPS)
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
Old 02-03-2010, 11:38 PM   #16
wwotr

Thread corrected in a non-political way.Please stay on topic and leave these judgements to staff.Thank you,Special-K
back in November of 2011.
I don't visit the site much anymore,
but please feel free,
to drop me a private message.
RIP...."RATIKLE"

Last edited by special-K; 02-05-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:52 AM   #17
Huck

All of the above is why I prefer placing the fuel tank as far away from the people as possible. There was a test years back that showed a chevy truck flipped on it's drivers side and slidding down the road. The fuel tank cap popped off spilling fuel and the whole thing basically when BOOM!! If you saw the film, you would immediately find a way to get that tank out of the cab!!!!!!!
Pumps push fuel easier then sucking but the primary reason was fuel injection. it requires a lot of pressure and a mechanical pump is not nearly as efficient--it also saps HP. Some vehicles have two push pumps--one in the tank and another prior to the injection. Either can fail and still run.
Quickest way to ruin a in-tank fuel pump is to run the tank dry--pump overheats and dies. Another killer way is to run el-cheapo gas like Marithon---it had some substance that would kill fuel pumps.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:20 PM   #18
suprachrgd82
Farmtruck desciple

An explanation of "LEL" and "UEL" (flammability range of gasses in atmosphere)
http://www.mathesontrigas.com/pdfs/p...ve-Limits-.pdf

Under normal conditions, it will be above the UEL. The danger is introduced with the addition of air or oxygen. Well placed electric fuel pumps will be in the base of the tank where vapors collect or submersed in the fuel. Well placed external plugs will be some distance from any openings (fillers or vents). 3 ft is a good margin of safety if the vehicle is worked on outdoors.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:48 PM   #19
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I think the real answer is that the fuel pump is a sealed unit.Much like a submersible sump pump the electrical part of the unit is sealed from the liquid around it.Three phase and single phase pumps run underwater all the time in this configuration.The liquid still cools the unit but doesn't short it out.I don't know but assume that the fuel pumps in modern cars have the equivalent of a GFCI built in to prevent sparking ,thus preventing arcs that start fires.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
Old 02-02-2010, 04:48 PM   #20
rustsev
slowest. build. ever.

what I thought even more interesting was, I believe, gasoline does not conduct electricity the way water does. I had an instructor in automotive school that used to race electric rc cars and he would wear in his new motors by running them full speed while submerged in gasoline.
the gas would provide just the right lubrication and cooing while still allowing the brushes to "burn in" (bad choice of words) and he would actually get performance increases.

by the way, I've never actually seen this done, so I'M NOT RECOMMENDING ANYTHING, NECESSARILY.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:19 AM   #21
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustsev View Post
what I thought even more interesting was, I believe, gasoline does not conduct electricity the way water does.
this is THE answer the 15YO boy needs to hear.

BTW guys, the pumps are not sealed at all.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:34 AM   #22
Rooster's 67

they are not sealed, but you will have a very hard time getting an explosive mixture of air and gas to the brushes. the gas tank will generally be at or above the upper explosive limit as far as the "mixture" inside the tank. the vapor is what burns not the liquid.you have to have an ignition point that is of sufficient temperature to ignite the fumes. I have personally seen cigarette butts thrown into drainbuckets that have contained many a flammable mixture in them. nothing thankfully has happened, it comes down to Flash point, and mixture percentage. but introduce a spark or flame,poof.

Disclaimer: Do not try extinguishing cigarettes in buckets of gasoline or paint thinner. Be a little smarter. Unless your gene pool is that murky, if you do then do not blame me
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Old 02-04-2010, 08:36 AM   #23
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

Edited by staff:
You`re alright.I just edited the crap that started this hijack causing counter comments.

Last edited by special-K; 02-05-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:25 AM   #24
DavidB

I thought about the fuel pump thing when I had to replace one and had to replace the fuel pump pig tail with a newer design. I usually solder and heat shink or tape. Oviously was worried bout tape or heat shrink in the gasoline not to metion the open flame to do the deed. I ended up using the supplied butt connectors. Most mention the pump its self blowing up, I think the most likely thing would be a loose connection which can cause enough heat to burn up a connector and a low tank of gas.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:16 PM   #25
Todd327

If Ford Rangers get made overseas there will never be one in my driveway. I may start rethinking all those new F-250's I have been buying for the last ten years.

Last edited by Todd327; 02-05-2010 at 01:17 PM.
Closed Thread