The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-05-2007, 11:14 PM   #1
TN70C10

more conversion questions

I have a 70 C10 and have been doing some reserch on disk conversion. From what i gather i can use the whole k member from 72-87 to do it. What about later models? Will 88 up not work? Or is the problem with later model the light duty 1" brakes?

Also I havent found anything about this. What if I find a 4x4 parts truck? (my truck is 2wd) Is it as easy as bolt k member in and mount transfer case and get drive shafts made up? Then hook up all the linkage.

The plan is to buy an automatic trans parts truck with ac, use k member, master cylinder/booster, heater box and controls, i realize i will probably have to make major firewall mods to make heater box work.

What about using the whole dash out of the later model trucks?

Also the reason im asking about 88 up truck is because I would like to covert to fuel injection while im doing all of this.

Im probably going to need alot of info on this one guys, hope to be starting this project within 2 to 3 weeks.
TN70C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 11:27 PM   #2
RACINJASON22
GEARHEAD

Re: more conversion questions

Idea's and questions are what this place is all about.

I can't answer many of the truck question persay but when you get to the engine stuff I might be of some help hopefully.

From what I have learened here the 4x4 front crossmember swap can be done with some minor modifactions don't know all the particulars right off the top of my head as I was inquiering on the idea also.

Some one else will have to say on the 88 up stuff. I'm sure someone will chime in.

Whatever you decide you are in the right place. Good luck with every thing. RJ22

SUBSCRIBE HEREBOARD VENDORS HERE

NORWOOD MEET SURVIVOR!

Last edited by RACINJASON22; 04-05-2007 at 11:44 PM.
RACINJASON22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 11:34 PM   #3
cbbs02

the reason you cant use a 88 and up is they are welded to the frame from the factory. as for going to the four wheel drive you will need to find a sutiable doner front end and be prepaired to do some fabricating up till 88 all the 4 wheel drive on chevy trucks are solid axle and leaf spring set up so you will have to add all the proper mounts for the spring and get all the proper stering parts to me it would be easier to go to the local yards and try to find a sutiable 67-68 k-10,20,30 frame and do a trans plant.
cbbs02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 12:35 AM   #4
TN70C10

Well , i probably will stick with 2wd then, depending on what kindof parts truck i come accross. can anyone add anything about the heater box conversion or dash? really i would like to keep the original dash in it , but it doesnt have ac vents , im thinking that you can get original style vents , cut and install.

Thanks for the responses guys , ive learned alot from this site . awsome!
TN70C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 10:53 AM   #5
cbbs02

what year parts truck are you looking for if you are looking for 67-72 the swithc should be straight forward (also what option is on your truck heat or heat/ac) vintage air and old air, both sell new after market heat/ac combos designed to work with stock controls or there control pannel.
cbbs02 is offline   Reply With Quote