The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-29-2008, 07:37 PM   #1
ap2002

electric fans on a 68?possible?

i want to get rid of the clutch fan on my 68 and replace it with some electric fans, my only concern, do yall think the alternator will be ok for it? from the info that i have gathered on here, i think it has a low amp alternator? so what do yall think? has anyone else done it with the low amp alternator's?

thanks...
Old 04-29-2008, 07:41 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: electric fans on a 68?possible?

You'll need a higher amp alternator.The original low amp ext regulated unit may work in a 'best case' scenario but that's not what get's you stuck. Always plan for worst case & be happy you did when you're running the heater/defroster, headlights, stereo, fan, etc . . . ....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:44 PM   #3
chevy72blu

What is the amperage of your Alternator? What other electrical devices will you be using?

Electric fans list their power draw in the spec's. Keep in mind though, you still need to pull enough air to cool the motor on a hot day. Your sig says you are running a BBC. Is it stock? A stock BBC needs at least 3500-4500 cfm to be very comfortable, and those pull a bit of power. The more cfm-age, the higher the cost. The more energy efficiency, the higher the cost. Basically, expect to pay quite a bit if you go with an aftermarket fan.

Lots of guys have had success with Altima fans, a few Cadillac and Ford models, etc. All of which can be had from a junk yard for 40 or 50 bucks. But, most of them are running SBC's.

Btw, do you have A/C? That will require a lot more fan.

Edit: I was gonna say, upgrade your alternator first (Powermaster 100+ amps) and convert it to internally regulated. Then, when you can afford it, start looking for a fan.

'72 C20 SWB convert. 5 lug, LS1/4l60e

Last edited by chevy72blu; 04-29-2008 at 07:45 PM.
chevy72blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:52 PM   #4
ap2002

no radio, no a/c, no defroster, the only think if needed would be the headlights at night but i really doubt i'll be taking it out on nights....

but also I was planning to put a 3 setting switch with off/lowspeed/highspeed, and when im on the freeway way I would be able to turn OFF the fans so it wont consume any amps? i do that on my 01 and once its on the freeway my temps stay way low with the fans off,

would this be ok with the 454 on my 68?
I will be installing a LS1 motor in the future thats why I was looking forward into not upgrading the alternator just yet?
Old 04-29-2008, 08:01 PM   #5
chevy72blu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap2002 View Post
no radio, no a/c, no defroster, the only think if needed would be the headlights at night but i really doubt i'll be taking it out on nights....

but also I was planning to put a 3 setting switch with off/lowspeed/highspeed, and when im on the freeway way I would be able to turn OFF the fans so it wont consume any amps? i do that on my 01 and once its on the freeway my temps stay way low with the fans off,

would this be ok with the 454 on my 68?
I will be installing a LS1 motor in the future thats why I was looking forward into not upgrading the alternator just yet?

If thats the case I would just wait and save. You are going to need your pennies for the LS swap. Its not like that clutch fan is robbing THAT much power or gas mileage. You arent racing the thing (your 01' sounds like a fun ride!), so I really dont see the point. Also, I imagine the LS1 needs a lot less cooling power than your 454 so you would basically be wasting money on an over-powered fan.

If you're dead set on it, do one of the junk yard swaps and hope for the best. The warranty on alternators from Pepboys is 2 years full replacement- I bought mine in and swapped them out every month or two before I finally converted to 1 wire and bought a nice alternator.

'72 C20 SWB convert. 5 lug, LS1/4l60e
chevy72blu is offline   Reply With Quote