The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-03-2007, 10:11 PM   #1
roughedup72

Which Muffler?? flowmaster or magnaflow

heres the question. I am going to put on a new exhaust system and need to know which muffler to buy. I am stuck between the magnaflow and flow master 40 series. I have heard the flow masters and they seem to sound pretty good but they also resinate at the rpms that I mostly turn. I have not heard the magnaflows. Whats the best one for me? I want aggresive sound but not to much inside the cab. A little loud in the cab is ok.
1972 chevy cheyenne 10,nothing special at the moment,Its a work in progress, Working on the engine, paint and body,engine, paint and body,now its the suspenion, ahh hell I'm about tired of working on it. Maybe it will be a rat rod.
roughedup72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:39 PM   #2
Kid

Re: Which Muffler?? flowmaster or magnaflow

I have had 40 series flow masters, sound good for the first week or so, then they are just anoying. I just finished up my latest project & put 2.5" magnaflows with 2.25 tubes all the way out the back & I love the sound. Very quiet until you put your foot in it. You wont be disappointed with the Magnaflows.
Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:48 PM   #3
smalltowncowboy

i have a flowmaster 40 series on my daily driver and love the sound of it. ive had it for about 2 months now. ive ran magna flow before and was not impressed at all.

i was watching one of those car building shows on tv (dont remember which one) and they were doing a flow test between the flowmaster and the new cherry bombs (not the old thru and thru ones) they are comming out with a chambered one just like a flowmaster or magnaflow, except the new cherry bomb flowed 3 times as much as the flowmaster.

1978 chevy stepside, 2002 dodge crew cab

AMSOIL DEALER
smalltowncowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:57 PM   #4
roughedup72

my truck is a longbed so I know that will make a little bit of difference but not much.
1972 chevy cheyenne 10,nothing special at the moment,Its a work in progress, Working on the engine, paint and body,engine, paint and body,now its the suspenion, ahh hell I'm about tired of working on it. Maybe it will be a rat rod.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:44 PM   #5
roughedup72

Thanks, Do they have a good sound at idle?
Old 07-03-2007, 11:10 PM   #6
retselgerg

flowmasters.....have had mine for about 9months and they still sound deep and aggresive love the sound.....magnaflows are nice too just prefer the flowmaster sound
Old 07-03-2007, 11:42 PM   #7
raiders3581

i have had both and have to say i prefer the 40 series flowmasters, the magnaflows just seemed to have a flappy sound to them and the flowmasters are just tuned better it seems, well just my 2 cents
Old 07-04-2007, 12:15 AM   #8
classicchev

Have them both, Mags sound good on a big block. I still prefer the flowmaster, have them on a few trucks.

Last edited by classicchev; 07-04-2007 at 12:16 AM.
classicchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 12:50 AM   #9
IvelDesigns
Commander Taco Bello

i really like the dynomax setup i'm running. shorty headers into 3" pipe that goes back to the trailing arm x member, then 2.5" from there into the dynomax mufflers... 2.5" all the way back to the bumper.

makes my stock 283 sound like it has an RV cam in it at idle, fairly quite, but then when i hit the loud stick, things start to sound nice. nice and low pitched throughout, with a slight tinny sound at idle. love it.
IvelDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 01:10 AM   #10
bagged74
its just $$$$$

I have flowmasters on the 82 and hate them, I have magnaflow on my GTO and love them.
bagged74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 01:23 AM   #11
RACINJASON22
GEARHEAD

The more I read about Cherry Bomb's NEW NOT glasspack style mufflers the more I like them. Worth checking out IMO.

Their new VOTEX mufflers are what I'm talking about:

HERE'S THERE SITE LINK SOUNDS, DYNO, PRODUCT AND MORE!!!

rj22...

SUBSCRIBE HEREBOARD VENDORS HERE

NORWOOD MEET SURVIVOR!
RACINJASON22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 10:00 AM   #12
roughedup72

Thanks for the input guys, I'm still looking and trying to make up my mind.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:21 AM   #13
Warren

I have been told the further back the better the sound. Maybe thats why so many old vettes sound good, mufflers are right at the back bumper.

Friend who builds custom cars had 40's flowmasters said the cops pulled him over all the time, went to 50 and he doesnt get pulled over, quieter but still sounds good and better when his foot is into it, not that we do that kind of stuff anymore.

Warren
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 10:44 AM   #14
lowdowndirtyshame67

I know there are only two options in your question, but I would go with Hooker AeroChambers. They are a totally different sound than either of the mufflers mentioned. They have a real mellow rumbly tone in the low rpm's, but when you get on the gas, they open up with a throaty growl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Okay, so obviously I am biased...
lowdowndirtyshame67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 10:54 AM   #15
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

I have 40-series Flowmasters on my '69. Been there for six+ years. Sound good. No balance tube, though....so it's to be done. Mufflers directly beneath the cab...some resonance, but not too bad. Gonna redo the exhaust system and relocate the mufflers behind the cab..

The '96 GMC V-6 has a single exhaust, with a flowmaster wannabe. It's behind the cab (barely) and has an annoying resonance. I think I'm gonna go with Cherry Bombs and have dual system fabricated. Truck doesn't sound bad, better than stock and not like a V-6 when you first hear it.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 11:34 AM   #16
slowboy72

I'm new to this seen but, when I had to replace the exhaust on my beast Dynamax was recommended to me.
I have dual Dynamax Super Turbos on now and love the sound.
Not loud in the cab but, my wife can hear me a couple of blocks away.

Last edited by slowboy72; 07-04-2007 at 11:42 AM.
slowboy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 12:01 PM   #17
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

No personal knowledge of Magnaflows, but having heard quite a few trucks with Flowmasters -- eh, I know a lot of guys like 'em, but they are just not my cup-o-tea. Just seems to be something hollow, echo-chamber about their sound that doesn't seem right to me. I prefer a rich, deep burble... Okay, I admit it, I'm kinda old and a bit backwoods, but I like a decent mellow (not loud) glasspack sound. Currently running old, burned-out 30" blanks, and will likely replace them with new 30" blanks.

And having owned two mid-sixties Sting Rays, I agree with Warren. They sounded fantastic with the mufflers at the very back of the car...

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 01:06 PM   #18
black05stxjt

I prefer magnaflow I have the on my daily driver and i love them, not to mention they are stainless steel and have a life time warranty on them as well, just my .2 cents. jared
black05stxjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 02:00 PM   #19
'68 longbed

just had to chime in on this one , My dad put 2 1/2 straight pipes on a big block ford 3/4 ton truck.....sounds beautiful. you'd swear it had mufflers on it at normal driving speeds and at idle. but put your foot in it and it hollers at ya!

i'm considering the same on mine
'68 longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 02:11 PM   #20
boraxman
Keepin an eye out

I have Flowmaster 40's on my truck, if it was a daily driver I woud change them as they are loud.
ZIP 91351
boraxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 02:15 PM   #21
'68 longbed

anybody ever seen or have dual chamber exhaust? i'm told they are incredible sounding .

the basic concept is that each pipe splits into two to sepperate pipes of different size chambers that are larger than the original pipe, or into two different length glasspacks, then go back to single pipes out the rear.

the effect is supposed to create completely different exahaust note depending on how much you put your foot on the pedal.

I'm told you can go from rumbly low tone at normal rpm's and when you wind it up it can sound like a stock car.
'68 longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 02:33 PM   #22
lukecp
Formerly yellow72custom

I have Delta Flow 40's on my truck, dumped above the rear axle (no turndowns or anything, they just end). It sounds really good, but would get pretty annoying for daily driving. I haven't drove my truck daily since I was 19, and it was great then, but I think it would get pretty old now to have to put up with every day. I had turndowns on them for awhile and it was quite a bit quieter, and had more of a tuned sound. It doesn't sound hollow at all though....just really deep and throaty.

Here is a sound clip/vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdmirrfshAg
lukecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 07:14 AM   #23
68Stepbed

Mufflers are like anything else. It's all about preference. I personally like Flowmasters. I like the tin-can type sound at idle. I prefer the Super 40's or the 50 series over the original 40's though. They have a deeper, throatier sound. The 50 series Delta Flows on my 86 have a nice deep, mellow tone, but they drone really bad in the cab at cruising speeds. Part of this may be due to the fact I have NO insulation or sound deadening material in the cab. It's a plain jane with a rubber floor mat and no A/C.

What I've heard of the Magnaflows, hey just seem too raspy and high pitched to me.

My dad had a set of Dynomax turbos on his 83 Elcamino when he first put the 355 with an RV cam. It sounded great inside and out. He later changed them(can't remember why) to a set of 40 series Delta Flows. I can't say I liked the sound any better or worse than the Dynomax set, but dad said he could tell a big difference in torque. He had better throttle response from the Flowmasters! He said it just felt more responsive after changing them.

I had a set of the cheap IMCO turbos on my 68 with 2.25" pipes. They sounded decent, but it was never the sound I wanted. They had a decent throaty rumble at idle but they were a bit raspy at hard throttle.

Check out the videos in my sig for sounds. The Elky and the Monte Carlo both have 40 series Delta Flow Flowmasters. My black truck has the IMCO turbos. The white truck has old wore out glasspacks that exit before the rear axle. (They were just cut off)

I will try to make videos today or tomorrow of my 86 with 50 series Delta Flows and my brothers 83 with original 40 series(it's LOUD).

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system

Last edited by 68Stepbed; 07-05-2007 at 07:18 AM.
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:20 AM   #24
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Im surprised no one has mentioned Spintech. I had custom headers made for the BB Jimmy by Lemons. He says guys are ordering Spintechs 9 times out of ten over flowmasters. If Dan Lemons says that, its good enough for me. You should see the serious cars that come out of that shop.
Tom
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 07:15 PM   #25
roughedup72

Thanks for all the input guys. Alot of thought went into this and have been thinking about which one to get for about a year now, I finally made my mind up and went with the flows. I had to think back on how my 70 lwb sounded with them before it caught on fire and as I remembered I did like the way it sounded so I am going to be putting them on real soon. Along with my A/C, all new hoses from classic parts and all new front end ball joints tie rod ends etc.etc. Then hopefully I will be doing some body work and sprayin some paint. I cant wait. People look at me funny when they see the different color door and latex paint brush strokes on the sides (form the previous owner). I'm finally getting to do something with the old girl. Its nice not having car payments.