The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-14-2005, 01:13 AM   #1
BowTieMan

Wireing a stereo help

Ok I have a 70 pickup with no wires for the radio. I took them out because they were a mess. And now I want to install an aftermarket clarion cd player in it. So how do I wire that up? And about the speakers. I want to put something in the dash were the origional speaker was. What size can I fit and still get the cd player there? And then I plan on running two 6.5 door speakers. Any tips would also be appresiated. Thanks
"A true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo
BowTieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 02:09 AM   #2
C10 Club Tennessee

1. All you need is a power wire to a place in the fuse box that kicks on when the key is turned.

2. You are going to have to find a constant for the memory (clock, preset stations)

3. Find a good ground

4. Run your own speaker wires

Unless I'm forgetting something it's pretty simple.

www.gmtruckshow.com

Project "Andes"-Halen's First Truck

Project: Patina Burb

for he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer. Romans 13:4
5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 05:15 AM   #3
69 Short Fleet

What yellow said, & make sure there is an inline fuse on the power wire (their shd be one on it already). The housings on the stock am, am/fm radios for our trucks are pretty large so your clarion cd player will go in with no problems (other than hacking the dash to make the opening fit if not already done). Getting aftermarket speakers in the stock location will be a pita. You could try a pair of 4 X 6 speakers (they will just fit) but you will need to make a bracket for them. I just went through this installing a single 4 X 6 speaker for my am radio and used the stock speaker bracket but had to bend it quite a few times in my vice before I got it right (lots of trial & error) and its prolly the worst spot on our trucks to be working (lol). If your glovebox is out its alot easier to work on... actually I'd take the glovebox door off as well. You might want to buy the speakers first then make a bracket for them on your workbench then mock that bracket up with the original speaker bracket and sorta go from there.... Pioneer makes a nice 4 X 6 speaker TS-P462 (sound great from what I've read) and their @ $70.00 US on e-bay. I had a pair of Pioneer TS-A4615 4 X 6 2 ways in my S-15 I sold a few years ago and they were great... Doug
69 Short Fleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 10:24 AM   #4
shifty
Questionable

The fusebox should have a male spade-type tab inside it labelled "RADIO". That's the preferred one to use. Everything else you need to know is above.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 06:05 PM   #5
CraigS

I removed the stock speaker and mounted a pair of 4" Infinitys in the top of the dash. Just barely enough room to clear the window rubber and the dash pad since I installed them with the covers on top of the dash. Also have two 5 or 6" Infinitys in the doors. Works pretty well considering there is no bass speaker.
CraigS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 07:45 PM   #6
WRMZ71
Cause the Chicks DIG IT!!

Once you do the work make sure you sell that Clarion deck and buy a different good one.....LOL..... sorry for the Sarcasm but the Clarion deck I bought was a POS.
WRMZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 12:37 AM   #7
shifty
Questionable

Car stereos are like cell phones. Every company has good ones and bad ones. You normally get what you pay for. Pay **** money, get a **** product. Pay decent money, get a decent product.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 06:50 PM   #8
WRMZ71
Cause the Chicks DIG IT!!

In my opinion, i would think 300 dollars for a deck thats brand spanking new (that amount does not include installation) should last more than 1 1/2 yrs with factory speakers. Sorry for hijacking this post.
WRMZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote