The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-20-2005, 05:46 PM   #1
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Need help with a PS pump reservoir

Ok, here's the deal. As some of you know, I bought the Billet Specialties serpentine conversion kit. This kit comes with all brackets and pulleys. So I get it and start bolting everything up. The alternator bracket works like a charm. So does all the pulleys. I get to the PS pump bracket and the brackets won't work with my stock reservoir. I have contacted BS tech support and they are not giving me much to go on but they keep saying I need to change to a different style reservoir. Fine. I was planning on buying a new one anyway since mine is dented up. They can't tell me which one I need.

The problem is the way their brackets mount to the pump/reservoir. In the pic you see my stock reservoir from the back. Also, I have my old pump just for referrence. The red arrow points to where the rear bracket bolted at stock. The blue arrow is another mounting point but you see the stock reservoir covers it up. Also, the shape of my reservoir is wrong and ends up being too close to the water pump.

Anyway, to make this long story short, I need to know if anyone knows anything about this. I know for a fact they do indeed make a reservoir like what I need but I have no idea what vehicle it came on. I asked my local Chevy dealer and was told I would need to know before they could find it. I've looked everywhere I can think of to no avail. Billet Specialties have been very nice about it and I'm am dealing with the Marketing Manager, and he is really trying to help but I think it's time for me to ask you guys.

In my last email with him I told him point blank that if I don't find out something pretty quick, I'm shipping this 500 buck pile of stuff back. My patients is really running thin with all this.

Edit! I forgot to mention, I need a reservoir with the mounting hole where the blue arrow is.
Attached Images

1985 Chevy C-10

Last edited by swervin ervin; 09-20-2005 at 05:54 PM.
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 01:42 AM   #2
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Mike could it be that it's a different kind of pump all together? I mean that you know they have the press on pulley and then there's the keyway style. Maybe they have different kinds of reservoirs for each diferent ones?

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 03:02 AM   #3
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

If I can recall it may be the Saginaw units that came in the early 70s Chevys. I think the units came in that configuration from the early 70s to the early 80s where the earlier models had the SAE threads. It's been a while and I'm not certain, but you want to try like a '72 Chevelle/Monte/etc. Like Brandon said, I also think that the '72 units had the threaded shaft configuration, but again it's been a while. How 'bout hitting the local discount parts store and have them pull a few units to check the configurations. I'm surprised that BS can't identify the correct pump.
Attached Images

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 08:51 AM   #4
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxrodz
.... It's been a while and I'm not certain, but you want to try like a '72 Chevelle/Monte/etc. .....
Mike if I remember correctly from my research this is your answer. I know quit a few of the pulley kits required the Chevelle style pump. I am amazed that the folks at Billet Specialties can't give you the correct answer....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 04:20 PM   #5
AirMale

I picked up the correct pump from a Parts-Plus for $40 it was part# 20-6000 I believe it was for a 71 Impala
AirMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 04:25 PM   #6
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

My pump is an AGR "P" series pump, which is a direct replacement for my stock one with a quicker ratio. If you notice in the pics, you can see one of their brackets mounted to the front of the pump. You notice how close it is to the reservoir. I actually dented it in on purpose just to see if it would work and of course it won't. I was going to buy a new one anyway.

Next, the rear bracket must go in the hole which is closest to the engine, the one that is covered with the reservoir now. My hope is, and I'm pretty sure it will be, but I'm hoping the reservoir I'm hunting will also move the top part over some. I know all you guys know how our pumps lean toward the water pump now. This won't work with Billet Specialties brackets.

They act like a bunch of retards. Like I say, I'm dealing with the marketing manager and he swears he's never run into this before. I think he's full of you know what. He tells me he will find out for me no matter what. He gave me a link to one which is chrome plated for $125.00. I told him there was no way I going that route. I also threatened to pack the stuff up and send it back. I'm really pissed at this crowd.

I called Advance Auto parts and they only sell complete pumps. I can buy a reservoir only from my local Chevy dealer, but they have to know what year and vehicle it is on before they can find it. After reading some of the replys you guys have posted, I think I'm going up to NAPA and see if the guys will pull some off the shelve for me to look at. I'll know what it looks like when I see it.

Oh, and one more rant while I'm at it. They recommended a 44.5" belt for the alternator. So, today on the way home from work I stop to get one. I get a 44 - 5/8" and guess what, it's too damn short. I'm guessing it's going to need to be 45".

Man, crap like this really ticks me off. You would think for 500 bucks they would even supply the belts. Then have to go through all this junk to make their overpriced stuff work. Anyway, I'll get to the bottom of it for sure, one way or another. I don't give up easy.

Thanks for the help guys.

Mike
Old 09-21-2005, 07:22 AM   #7
bigblock73
yeller

Mike, the PS pump on your '79 should be a saginaw pump...that style won't work? Those are THE most common pump I think...and unless your kit specifically was ordered for a different pump, I would be surprised if it didn't work.

Like boxrodz said, go visit NAPA and have them start pulling pumps...you will find the one you need, heck, you might even get lucky and find a knowledgable counter person who can narrow down your search.

BTW - FTP is now working. Powweb changed some stuff around (which required me to do the same), and they were also having technical diffucilities.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 08:16 AM   #8
85X3

I believe you need the pump with the remote reservoir. They are used on late model GM cars. I have a Crash book and I'll try to get a PN. I have a couple pumps with PN:26012613, and 26037288. These are the remote reservoir type off a '86, or '87 GN or Turbo Regal. You can get a Billet tank for these units also. I can send a pic if needed.
85X3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 05:34 PM   #9
PHOENIX

I had problems with a March power steering bracket.
They said I needed a certain pump, etc. My pump matched the picture
of the one they said I needed. It would hold, but adjusting was really
rough. I returned it to Summit but they charges me a restocking fee. BS!
Old 09-21-2005, 06:12 PM   #10
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

OK. So I go up to NAPA and although the guys were real helpful, they didn't have any pumps for 70-72 Chevelles/Monte's. Right across the street is Advance. So I go there next. There is an older guy who works in there and I figured he would be able to help. You all know the kind. Just looks like he would be a tinkerer. Turns out he owns a machine shop. But anyway, he looks for a 70-72 Chevelle pump. Don't have any in stock. Then he looks for a 76 Chevelle pump. Has it. Brings it out and it has exactly the shape reservoir I'm needing.

It's hard to explain but if you could the 76 Chevelle pump and mine laying side by side, you'd see the difference. It's like the 76 is rotated more or something. The pump is twisted inside the reservoir to where it moves the top of the reservoir out from the water pump. Anyway, the good part is, he checks in the computer and a 75 C10 uses the same pump as the 76 Chevelle, at least it's the same part number. Then he tells me he has an old pump off the 75 C10 laying on his work bench at home when he changed it for his son. He is going to bring it to work with him tomorrow.

I'm stoked. Now I got to email the retards at Billet Specialties and tell them what a little leg work will do for you. I'm guessing it has something to do with the change from standard threads to metric or something. I wouldn't tell them but I feel it's my obligation so others who buy their stuff will know before hand what they are getting into.

Mike
Old 09-21-2005, 07:19 PM   #11
bigblock73
yeller

I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya Mike! I kind of had a feeling you needed the saginaw pump. Is the one in your '79 the same too you think?
Old 09-21-2005, 07:38 PM   #12
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Jeff,

my stock pump is a Saginaw. It's just a later one with metric fittings. The biggest reason I was trying so hard to find just the reservoir is bacause I have a AGR pump and steering box, which are metric fittings. I wasn't about to just go buy a SAE fittings pump and then have a time trying to fit everything to my metric fittings box. Another thing different is the way the pulley goes on. The older pumps use a keyway and the later ones like mine just press on. As for the one in the 79 being the same, might be. I can't tell. There is so much crap in the way I can't see what it looks like.

I do know AGR lists different numbers for pumps, which BTW, don't come with reservoirs. 68-74 is 806324. 75-79 is 805324. 80-87 is 807324. So by this it would seem it went to metric in 80. If this is when the reservoir changed too, I don't know.

All I have to say is, why in the hell does everything I decide to do have to be so complicated? For once I would really like to just buy something and it works. Is this too much to ask?
Old 09-21-2005, 08:13 PM   #13
Russell
Professional Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by swervin ervin
All I have to say is, why in the hell does everything I decide to do have to be so complicated? For once I would really like to just buy something and it works. Is this too much to ask?
You just described my entire truck restoration in a nutshell. Actually, pretty much my whole life
Old 09-22-2005, 01:35 AM   #14
boxrodz

Good to hear that you got it figured out. Hopefully, it won't be much longer.

BTW, may I ask what type of AGR steering box do you have? Is it variable steering (i.e. 16/13:1)? How do you like it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swervin ervin
... why does everything I decide to do have to be so complicated?
I've got company.

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
Old 09-22-2005, 07:49 PM   #15
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

I've been doing some checking. It looks like pumps/reservoirs from our trucks, years 75-79 have the same reservoir I need. These all have the same part number as the 76-77 Malibu's do. All of these come with two rear mounting holes and look the same as the Malibu's. The guy at Advance Auto parts who told me he had a old pump from his sons 75 C10 told me today he didn't have it, that he must have thrown it away.

I called the dealer and they have all been discontinued. It looks like it's time to hit the junkyards. I can't stand the thoughts of it to tell you the truth but you do what you have to.

So, my saga continues. I'll get to the bottom of this if it's the last thing I do.

I have pics of the pumps. The first one is the 75-79 two hole style. The second one is one like my 85 has, with one hole. You can easily see how the reservoir is rotated farther over in the first one compared to the second.
Attached Images

1985 Chevy C-10
Old 09-22-2005, 07:50 PM   #16
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Next
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2005, 10:36 PM   #17
bigblock73
yeller

NAPA can't get you the correct pump you need? I would check into that before you go JY'ing.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:00 AM   #18
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Yeah, I can get the pump anywhere. I only need the reservoir though since I have a AGR pump already.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:38 AM   #19
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

What about somebody like our truck vendors?

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 09:46 AM   #20
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I can see where the Billet Specialties and March people are defunct in their approach to salesmanship. If you market something then you should have ALL of the data to help the buyer, or even a new pump and reservoir available to fit. It should be in writing so that the telephone goober can give out the right data to the buyer that needs tech help. Has anyone considered sending this whole forum to their E-mail address and let them read how moronic they appeared to the public?

Last edited by piecesparts; 09-23-2005 at 09:47 AM.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 01:20 PM   #21
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Well, had to go into work this morning to let some of the subs into the building we are upfitting. We are on four 10's so I was supposed to be off. Anyway, after I get home, the junkyard I call said they had one on a 78 C10. I go over there and sure enough, it's what I need and it was even a 6 cylinder truck. It's already off the engine since someone had removed the head. One of the junkyard guys took the hoses off for me. I didn't even have to get greasy. I got the whole pump, pulley and all for 20 bucks. Now all I have to do is get the thing took apart and paint the reservoir and put my pump in it.

As for Billet Specialties, it seems to me they are clueless as to what my problem is. I have explained it to the Marketing Manager at least 6 times and he still don't get it. I'm not sure if he understood anything at all about what I was talking about. I don't know every application under the sun that the reservoir I needed comes on but I do know 75-79 Chevy/GMC pickups will work as well as 76-77 Malibu. There are probably a ton of other vehicles/years with this pump setup. One thing BS needs to do is design some brackets to work with either pump. The brackets I got in this kit and the ones they sell seperate are the same. Never on their site do they mention anything about any of this. They only mention short or long water pump and keyway or press on pulleys. Stuff like this really irks me. If these companys are going to market this high end stuff they should investigate it more. I think it's one of them deals where none of them guys are into this kind of stuff. They probably know nothing about it in the first place.

Oh well. I've got a reservoir now. It's all donwhill from here I hope. Now I got to go out to the shop and get to work on it.

Thanks for the help guys,

Mike
Old 09-23-2005, 01:28 PM   #22
AirMale

you have every right to be angry...It's really confusing when a company sells brackets and can't offer part#'s that work with their products. Can't wait to see your pics Mike
AirMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 01:41 AM   #23
static22

Mike,

Man, just read this thread and I'm sure you never thought you would become a power steering pump expert. As for all the info you have found I'm sure it may lead to some Christmas cards from other readers. I would call BS and sell them the info for 499.99 plus shipping.

Jeff

Last edited by static22; 09-27-2005 at 01:42 AM.
static22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 01:53 AM   #24
boxrodz

Rumor has it, Mike might become a distributor/spokesperson for BS and their serpentine conversion kit.