The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-23-2004, 03:04 PM   #1
leastbay

Help Me Please

i was driving my truck yesterday and was about 30 miles from my house when it died i have a clear fuel filter and there was no fuel in it and none would pump up through the tube i towed it home and replaced the fuel pump and fuel is still bot coming through could it be the tank switch? what can i do????
leastbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 03:28 PM   #2
mhicks

Is the cam turning? May be the timing chain or gear. Happened to my son's inline six. If the cam isn't turning then arm on pump isn't moving. Therefore no fuel.
mhicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 03:35 PM   #3
leastbay

well once i replaced the fuel pump and rimed the line i drove it for about 10 minutes and it runs fine when i fill the line with fuel
Old 08-23-2004, 03:42 PM   #4
mhicks

You could pull the pump off and disconnect the line from the carb and leave the line hooked to your tank then pump the little lever and gas should come out. If you have gas coming out then have someone turn the motor over and see if the lobe on the cam is turning.
Old 08-23-2004, 03:45 PM   #5
leastbay

i tired that on the old pump and no fuel came out it doesent move very far though how can you see the cam when its in the engine?
Old 08-23-2004, 03:49 PM   #6
mhicks

You could use a light and a mirror. Does it pump with the new pump?
Old 08-23-2004, 04:16 PM   #7
leastbay

yeah its pumping fuel because if i fill up the fuel line between the carb and pump it squirts out but after that nothing
Old 08-23-2004, 04:21 PM   #8
Grim Reaper

Throw us a bone here buddy.
What truck. what engine, what tank set up, what carb, what year?

This could be anything from bad selector valve on a dual tank to old fuel lines desintigrating interannly and acting like a valve. Fill in some details so we can rule out some stuff. You haven't give us much to work with.

If it has a quad then have you checked the fuel filter in the carb? if it's plugged it will not allow fuel up that line so you wouldn't see anything in that inline filter.

Last edited by Grim Reaper; 08-23-2004 at 04:26 PM.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 04:46 PM   #9
leastbay

ok its an 85 with a 350 and an edelbrock 600 cfm carb i know the carbs not plugged becasue i can fill the line with fuel and it runs until it had used all of the fuel in the line the fuel pump is not getting fuel for some reason when i switch tanks i can hear the switch and the gauges and the fuel gauge is working fine too.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:19 PM   #10
Grim Reaper

Bet that valve ate it. Just cause you can her it doesn mean it's not broke. Get under the truck with a empty gas can and see if you can get any fuel out after the valve.

Also arew you sure you got the hoses right at the pump? ones return and it just dumps back inthe tanks. If you get them switched it would just suck air.

Next thing to check is that the excentric on the cam is good. Pull the pump off. Shoudl be able to do it without undoing the fuel lines since the hard line is off. Unplug the distributor so there is no chance it can start. hold you finger on the plunger for the fule pump and crank the motor over by hand. if it's got about 1/2 inch of stroke it should be plenty.

If those check out then there is a restriction inthe line between the selctor valve and the pump. Suspect any rubber line as bad. Might want to replace it all anyway. It's nearly 20 years old.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 08:13 PM   #11
leastbay

i know the pump is pumping good because i undid the line from the carb and filled it with fuel and it was working fine there is just no fuel getting to it i hate to replace the valve for no reason just because i have a clogged line this weekend im gonna drop the tanks clean them and try to shoot some compressed air in the fuel lines