The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-26-2003, 04:55 PM   #1
my new 72
faster, faster, faster

My NEW trans died today.

Yep, that's right, my brand new trans with less than 1000 miles on it just quit today. I was driving on the freeway doing about seventy when I gave it a bit of gas to get up in front of someone and it just went dead. The engine would rev, but no o on the transmission. Just before it died I heard a ticking sound that got fairly loud and len went away. As soon as it went away, so did all the gears. Anyone know what may have caused this to happen? The trans shop that built it said that it would handle up to 450hp, and I'm just about there, but not more. I even run a B&M 2200GVW trans cooler, so I know heat didn't kill it. Any ideas would be good. I had it towed to the trans shop, so I'll know the exact cause then, but I really wanna know now.
Old 10-26-2003, 05:00 PM   #2
cableguy0

sounds to me like you broke one of the sprags. lemme guess its a th350. do yourself a big favor and get a th400 and be done because if yours is anything like mine you wont get anymore than 5 or 6000 miles out of any th350. my guess is that the sprag that sits right behind the pump broke. if it isnt a hardened unit from tci i know it broke. the stockers wont hold anymore than about 350 ponies before they break.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 05:01 PM   #3
68 Stepside
huh?

The ticking sounds like a pump went bad. My Z28's 700R4 would knock when cold because the front pump was going bad. I'm by no means a trans expert tho, just a random thought that popped into my head. Best of luck.
Things we said today.

RIP El Jay
68 Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 05:01 PM   #4
68 Stepside
huh?

Ah, didn't even think about the sprags, another good point, and something else to check.
Things we said today.

RIP El Jay
68 Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 05:08 PM   #5
cableguy0

from what he described i seriously doubt it was the pump. sounds like he heard the roller bearing coming outta the sprag and rattling in the case before the sprag came all the way apart and left him stranded with park and 5 neutrals been there done that bout 4 times on the sprag once on the low reverse sprag and once just ripped a case apart. yes i desperately need to upgrade to a th400 lol
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
Old 10-26-2003, 05:11 PM   #6
my new 72
faster, faster, faster

Well I was told by the trans guys right before I installed it that they had to drill a reliefe hole in the valve body to keep it from shattering the sprag when it shifted because of the power I'm running. It came with a 1 year warranty so they should fix it, but I really don't want to have to go back every few months or even more often to have it fixed. I thought it sounded like a sheer pin or something coming loose, but I have no idea what is on the inside of these things. And yes it is a TH350, but the sprag is not stock. Well, we'll see tomorrow.
Old 10-26-2003, 05:21 PM   #7
cableguy0

the front sparg may not be stock but the low reverse sprag i will bet is. because they arent supposed to break but guess what i have broken two of em. the only way i found to stop from shattering the front sprag all to pieces was the tci sprag and drum assembly that i used it didnt broke but other parts just did mine blew up 2 weeks ago and on tear down i found the low reverse sprag busted again
Old 10-26-2003, 05:25 PM   #8
my new 72
faster, faster, faster

Well, I hope they honor the warranty. I only had one burnout and one launch on it too, so abuse didn't cause it I know.
Old 10-26-2003, 05:34 PM   #9
cableguy0

actually it only takes one burnout to end em if they arent strong enough. it doesnt take much you were just lucky it happened close to home
Old 10-26-2003, 06:26 PM   #10
my new 72
faster, faster, faster

Well then I guess it wasn't built as well as they said it was then, because it wasn't even a good long burnout, and the gears in the rear are only 3.08's. I'm just bummed out I broke my new toy. I just finished the engine and trans swap and got it running on Thursday.
Old 10-26-2003, 06:31 PM   #11
cableguy0

actually a numerically higher gear is easier on the trans because it doent put so much stress on the tranny to get these heavy pigs moving outta the hole. a 3.73 gear sounds like its in order here
Old 10-26-2003, 06:46 PM   #12
my new 72
faster, faster, faster

Yeah, I'm getting one from TX Firefighter here in the next few weeks. We'll see how it holds up after that.
Old 10-26-2003, 07:55 PM   #13
cableguy0

good deal my 3.73's are sitting on the coffee table awaiting the eaton posi and an install but the first order of business is getting my tranny parts and putting it back together
Old 10-26-2003, 09:57 PM   #14
Suicide-D

Location: Katy, TX...but the love of my life resides in Dublin,OH.
don't be a wuss... I have a 4.11 you can put in there...
Suicide-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 10:24 PM   #15
my new 72
faster, faster, faster

The deal on the 3.73's is a trade. Rearend for rearend, I can't buy the 4.11 from you. Especially if I have to buy a new transmission tomorrow.
Old 10-26-2003, 10:30 PM   #16
cableguy0

well in my opinion if they warranted a transmission in a truck that they knew was making that kinda power they are morons. i have never heard of a warranty on anything that isnt stock i work in/run a speed shop the warranty on most parts is if it aint broke when it comes outta the box the warranty is over. and most transmissions have a drive way warranty if it moves outta the driveway the warranty is over
Old 10-26-2003, 10:40 PM   #17
my new 72
faster, faster, faster

It's supposed to be a race built transmission. The owner runs here locally and won his class last year, so he is pretty proud of his transmissions. I also had to have my tq convertor rebuilt to get them to give me the warranty, so they do this alot. They were recommended by my engine builder, so I don't think they will give me too much ****, or I'll just let their customers know what kind of shop they are. I know for sure that Dennis will have no trouble finding a new trans guy to build for his many many race customers her in Houston, and with Baytown so close, that's alot of business.
Old 10-26-2003, 10:50 PM   #18
cableguy0

well thats good i hope everything works out for ya. if you were in maryland i could help ya out but texas is a bit far. good luck with everything i feel your pain my tranny is on the bench in pieces included a few extras that shattered as we speak im tired of screwing with th350's about now. im about to buy a 400 my boss built that i know will handle 1000 horsepower and be done with it
Old 10-26-2003, 10:59 PM   #19
Blue_71
Bloo

i just have 2 words for anyone with automatic tranny problems, standard transmission
1971 Chevy Custom/10 (first truck) 350, NV3500 5 speed
1971 Chevy K20 Custom Camper 4x4 350 TBI, SM465/NP205
1974 Chevy Custom Deluxe/10
1979 Chevy Custom Deluxe K10 farm truck beater
1989 Chevy K2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jackson, Cause I'm a country boy
35s whinin on the asphalt, grabbin mud, throwin up some red dirt
R.I.P. Michael Stilts... I will always love and miss you brother! (9-12-80, murdered 4-9-05)
Blue_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 11:03 PM   #20
cableguy0

no a standard number one will slow me down and number 2 they break too. automatics dont miss shifts no person on earth can shift faster than an auto tranny can you dont bounce off the gate and over rev with an auto tranny. not happening i will just build a better auto. after you see a clutch come out of a car at 7000 rpm and cut clean through the bell housing floor and roof you wouldnt want a manual either but happy trucking
Old 10-26-2003, 11:05 PM   #21
my new 72
faster, faster, faster

Then I would be killing clutches, so where is the benifit there? I hate manual trucks anyway, unless it was a six speed. This is what a warranty is for.
Old 10-27-2003, 11:14 AM   #22
BLACK AND BLUE 67-72
Firefighter

Sounds kinda like the pump to me. I would think that if it were a sprag that it would have made alot more noise and caused the truck to shudder not just quit. Usually the intermediate roller clutches explode during the second-gear shift and it can take out the direct-clutch drum, intermediate-clutch plates, the front pump and possibly the case with it. Hey cableguy, have you ever seen a direct-clutch drum or a torque converter explode at 7000 rpm? It's not a pretty sight, I have seen them cut through the transmission housing, floor, and the roof, that's why they sell trans blankets!!! So it doesn't really matter if it's a standard or an automatic that kind of failure is pretty uncommon, especially in everyday driving.
Yellville, Ar. USA

Last edited by BLACK AND BLUE 67-72; 10-27-2003 at 11:26 AM.
BLACK AND BLUE 67-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 11:19 AM   #23
jays68yak

save yourself the trouble, get a th400.

Ive gone through a good number of th350. Everytime I get back into my car I get scared that I'll blow the one that I have now. Ive blown the sprag, the 1st gear band, broke something in the valve body, and im sure more that I dont remember.

"I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me. "
jays68yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 05:14 PM   #24
my new 72
faster, faster, faster

I only asked what you guys thought the problem was, not if you think I should get a th400. If I was going to run a 400, I would have bought a race prepped 400, and not the 350. If it breaks it breaks, that is what the warranty is for. I just got back from the tranny shop and the guy told me that it's all covered by the warranty, no problems at all. I'll have the truck back Thursday.

P.S. this was not directed at you cableguy0, you have been alot of help.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:07 PM   #25
BLACK AND BLUE 67-72
Firefighter

my new 72, did they say what the problem was? Just curious.
Yellville, Ar. USA

BLACK AND BLUE 67-72 is offline   Reply With Quote