The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-02-2016, 01:43 PM   #1
Alex V.

500 Miles and a Word on "Dependability"

I had the occasion for a rare treat this weekend in taking the Suburban out to Land Between the Lakes (South of Paducah, KY) for a camping trip with my wife, BIL/sister, and two friends from MO. The 'Burb often sits for a week or two at a time, and very rarely gets driven more than 75 miles in a day. I enjoy driving it a lot, but the truth is the body and chassis are just getting worse and fixing one thing at a time is a much less efficient approach than just mothballing it until I can do a ground-up restoration. Still, one way or another I wind up at least taking it into town every couple weeks, or to the drive-in on a whim, or something. I made the decision I had to drop the gas tank last week to fix the broken strap and find why it leaked when more than half full - pinholes right above the seam, where dirt had accumulated inside the frame rail. Without the time or money to get a new tank I cleaned it and slathered JB Weld on, getting it all reassembled with 3 hours to spare before wifey got off work and we headed out Friday evening. The tank fix worked, and with the voltage regulator contacts pinned open with an alligator clip (as I've been doing since the VR gave up last fall) we rolled West down the interstate. Sitting right in her sweet spot at 62-65 MPH netted 14.0 MPG over the 185 mi. trip, with 3 people (plus my 4 month old niece) and quite a bit of camping luggage. (Estimated total weight of 5,300 lb.) We used the 'Burb for all our running around in the park on Saturday and wifey and I camped out in it that night (My 5'10" can stretch out fine in the back!). My BIL had left early Friday on his '72 Honda CL175 and backroaded the whole way, but with the chance of rain and a sore butt he opted to load it up for the ride home - upping the weight to more like 5,800 and squatting the 'Burb a little in the rear. Back up the interstate we hauled, losing just less than 1 MPG because of the weight. Over the weekend I got a notion and retrofitted the stock snorkel air cleaner lid with a 9" pie pan to see if it really was choking it down (I've wondered for a while now) which revealed even more that my jump from .061" primary jet to .054" on the 4G was a little too far. (I knew I'd have to move back up from .054" but went low initially on purpose.) 80 degree temps, the extra weight, and the leaner mixture caused by the now-open air cleaner moved the temp gauge up about 2 needles' worth under sustained speed, but it didn't climb any further and wasn't giving me any bad feedback other than throttle response so all was well. By the time we rolled in the driveway we'd logged 540 miles over 3 days, with no forced down time, no need to add any fluids or touch a tool to it out of necessity.

Some of you probably gauge dependability differently than I do, but I look at it like this: with one box of standard tools, two spare parts on hand (fuses and a points set), and simple observation and conservative, gradual tuning changes, I feel I'm about as well equipped to take my tired, unrestored, 330,000-miles, 49-year old Suburban away from the shop as I am any vehicle that is no longer under manufacturer's warranty. The more "superior" aftermarket parts I slap on it to find the easy way out of finding the perfect timing curve or the right jet combo, the more things there are to fail that I can't walk into an auto parts store with and walk out with a replacement, or set up a problem I can't troubleshoot with a standard repair manual and a multimeter. A lot of people wouldn't think about riding my BIL's little Honda that far alone, but with a fresh tune-up, a small tool bag, and the knowledge he's gained by maintaining it himself, his confidence was apparently justified in that the only time he laid a wrench to it was to pull a plug to check his mixture at the end of the ride. They didn't make these rigs weak or prone to breaking down right off the assembly line. More maintenance intensive? Yes. But they were designed to be used just like anything else. An LS engine is undeniably superior to a carbureted 350; an electric fan indisputably decreases parasitic drag; disc brake conversions definitely perform better; but they're no less immune to entropy than any of the original equipment. Happy motoring, ya'll.

1985 GMC C3500 SRW, Sierra Classic, 454/TH400, white/blue.
Alex V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 02:33 PM   #2
Dirt's72

Re: 500 Miles and a Word on "Dependability"

I was hoping to see a picture at the end of all that.
Dirt's72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 02:58 PM   #3
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

X2 on the pics.....please....

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 03:16 PM   #4
fun in dirt

Sounds like a good trip! I totally agree with you ... simpler is better! Maybe not as cushy & comfy, but if you want that ride in a new truck.
'06 Silverado SS...DD
'06 C1500 WT...DD
'07 Classic C1500 WT...DD
Built & sold cause can't keep 'em all:
'72 Blazer "The Bucket" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=433190
'55 Chevy straight axle gasser https://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173938
'69 Pro Street Chevelle http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332541
'86 M1031 CUCV http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=553619
fun in dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:20 PM   #5
Alex V.

Ha! I didn't take many but here are a few.

Looking down the on ramp to the Western KY Parkway. Caption for this one would be, "Took a look down a Westbound road..." from Seger's song "Roll Me Away":

And here's us (and the bike) loaded up for the trip home:

Old 05-02-2016, 07:59 PM   #6
tutone

Come back anytime. Sounds like a fun trip.
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:04 PM   #7
truckster

That's a nice looking family you've got there. Congratulations on a fun trip.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:10 PM   #8
Alex V.

Thanks! I couldn't have wound up with a more well-rounded, fun-loving bunch if I'd tried.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:44 PM   #9
chiefcfd

Glad you had fun and a safe trip. It is a beautiful area. You were in my backyard! Not sure what part you stayed in but I work EMS and we cover from the TN state line north to the Nature Center.
chiefcfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:00 AM   #10
Alex V.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefcfd View Post
Glad you had fun and a safe trip. It is a beautiful area. You were in my backyard! Not sure what part you stayed in but I work EMS and we cover from the TN state line north to the Nature Center.
Cool! We stayed at the Wrangler's Camp, and ventured out as far North as the bison/elk reserve and South to the old farm exhibit. At least I think that's how they were laid out. :P

Old 05-02-2016, 09:00 PM   #11
Coley

Great pics!....love seeing the entire family involved and enjoying this equipment.
I fully agree that these trucks can be incredibly reliable and useable even with their original (based) drivetrains...and when they are not...they are not hard to diagnosis and not too hard to fix for very little money.
With a new vehicle they rarely fail....but when they do, I wouldn't know where to start...but I would seriously fear what it was about to cost me to get it going again....definitely not a $26 part out of the back of the tow truck or the local garage....that's for sure.

All Good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:24 AM   #12
Hart_Rod

Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:49 AM   #13
35boulder

Cool trip...gotta love the Honda too! Glad y'all had fun.
35boulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:55 AM   #14
special-K
Special Order

This is what it's all about. Drive them, use them, if they need fixed you fix them. I load up my '72 and go to work wherever it is, run for parts, go to the beach, go to the mountains, just drive around all day, tow something, and if I had the time I'd drive it this summer down to the Southeastern Truck Nationals in TN. Heck, one day I might even restore it. Been wanting to rebuild the engine for a few years. I have beefier axles and a TH400/NP205 to put in one day. For now I add ATF after it has sat, the steering/suspension/brakes/bearings/cooling all new/rebuilt, interior is nice, everything works except fuel gauge. It has saddle tanks and I need to drop them to go over all the wiring.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:40 PM   #15
davepl

I'd still carry a fuel pump, water pump, alternator, regulator, and belts on any long road trip in one of these.

Last time I was stranded by a small block chevy was 20+ years ago, but we walked the remaining 3 miles to a small town in northern Saskatchewan, knocked on a service station window, and he had a fuel pump. Wouldn't have had one for a Camry!
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 02:04 PM   #16
hooverfish

Alex V.
It's good to see a young family out having fun, fresh air, and enjoying life without spending a lot of money.
Thank you for sharing.

"It's a sorry man who can't find his wife a good job"
hooverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 04:26 PM   #17
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

The Honda in the back of the Burb, that is so cool. Reminds me of me and my wife coming back from the USA with a 1983 Honda 650 in the back of a Dodge Grand Caravan.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:27 PM   #18
pritch

I am taking 'Ol Green on 2 different thousand-mile-plus road trips next month. I don't plan on taking any more than a basic tool kit. I changed the plugs and belts, and I need to get my pinion seal replaced, but other than that, I have no worries at all.
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:28 AM   #19
Alex V.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
Last time I was stranded by a small block chevy was 20+ years ago, but we walked the remaining 3 miles to a small town in northern Saskatchewan, knocked on a service station window, and he had a fuel pump. Wouldn't have had one for a Camry!
Though I didn't say it, that's one facet on the periphery of my idea of reliability - a lot of my parts are on the old side of what the average parts house will have in stock, but if they'll have parts for anything from '67 it'll be this ol' girl.

Thanks everybody! I don't try to make a huge banner statement out of adventures like this, before or after they happen. Yes, I realize how many looks I'll get and how few people even have the uninhibited sense of adventure to go out like we do, but I guess I just keep myself from succumbing to distorted views of what is gained or lost by modern ideas of travel and technology and let bystanders realize it for themselves or continue looking at the world through their own shade of glasses.

On a side note, I got so many looks and thumbs up from other people on the highways that you'd think the 'Burb was nearly restored instead of the rusty banged up old truck it is!

Old 05-04-2016, 09:37 AM   #20
Alex V.

And incidentally, if you don't already have one of your own it's hard to relate the sensory imprint of laying your head on the window sill of your old vehicle, steadily zipping along at highway speed, feeling the pull of the engine from ahead and from behind hearing the exhaust note of it galloping along right in the sweet spot of the power curve, with the dotted line ticking by and the realization that that one moment is why the elbow grease is worth it.

Old 05-04-2016, 11:51 AM   #21
Kell

Great story and writing style, I really enjoyed it.

I see so many "survivor" c10's on the road it's not even funny. These trucks are rusted out hulks that somehow still pull their own weight, I always point this out when my brother says these old trucks are not reliable. Very simple to work on, VERY simple.

Please post some more pictures, even if it wasn't from this trip, maybe something with that Honda beside it.

My wife and I bought this cool vintage picnic/camping gear that would go perfect with your theme there. It's redwood and aluminum, table, benches, chairs, period correct.

Oh yeah, I'm sure you know it but there are tons of mountain biking/hiking trails, Turkey bay off road park and other cool stuff there. Some of the best Mountain biking around if you're into that.

Last edited by Kell; 05-04-2016 at 11:55 AM. Reason: added stuff
Kell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:26 PM   #22
57larry

sounds like you had a great time
57larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 02:29 PM   #23
Alex V.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kell View Post
Great story and writing style, I really enjoyed it.

I see so many "survivor" c10's on the road it's not even funny. These trucks are rusted out hulks that somehow still pull their own weight, I always point this out when my brother says these old trucks are not reliable. Very simple to work on, VERY simple.

Please post some more pictures, even if it wasn't from this trip, maybe something with that Honda beside it.

My wife and I bought this cool vintage picnic/camping gear that would go perfect with your theme there. It's redwood and aluminum, table, benches, chairs, period correct.

Oh yeah, I'm sure you know it but there are tons of mountain biking/hiking trails, Turkey bay off road park and other cool stuff there. Some of the best Mountain biking around if you're into that.
Yep, we caught wind of the off-road park and trails while we were there - my BIL mentioned taking the Honda to the OHV to strut its stuff among all the souped up dirt bikes and enduros. After all, it is the dual-sport CL variant.

Here's one of the 'Burb, Chance and the 175, and another friend with his XS650 chopper all looking tough on our way to the drive-in last year:

This is an older pic of a '70-something Enduro 250 the guy on the right ^ had for a while, at the drive-in again:

You'll find more misc. pics of the 'Burb's adventures on the thread I perpetuate in the Sub/Panel forum:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=587777

And with warm weather coming on and having culled the herd of several pieces over the last couple years, I'm really eyeing an early 70's CB350 or 450 so I can get in on the 2-wheeled action! BIL also wants to trade up to a bigger bike, ideally a CL350/450 - the 175 is a nifty little bike, but won't break 65 on flat ground and needs a rest every hour or so on long rides.

Old 05-04-2016, 04:37 PM   #24
Kell

Those are great pics. You can do what you want, but if I were you I would leave the suburban unrestored. It's far cooler with the patina than if it were all shiny, but maybe that's just me? Can't argue with the attention you are getting.

My Dad motocross raced a slightly earlier (stripped down) version of that Yamaha in the early 70's, very nostalgic pic for me. Most interesting thread I've seen in awhile.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:27 PM   #25
Alex V.

Ha, thanks Kell. The paint has patina'd nicely, but the lower portions of the body are so far gone I'd have to fix them for it to be solid, anyway, which would mean them contrasting or trying to patina them to match. If it was much more solid I'd think about leaving it and preserving it, but looking at it as a whole I look forward to restoring it - maybe multiple times. I've said numerous times to different people, if I could only keep one of my vehicles and use it for everything, I'd keep the 'Burb. It rolls the traits of a 6-passenger sedan, a light 3/4 ton truck, a van, and a classic car all into one. That being said, once it's restored I don't think I'll be able to leave it in the garage all the time, and fully expect the day may come when it needs gone through a second time in my older age - though I hope the clean upper/lower tailgate set I have in the rafters now doesn't deteriorate as bad as the first set has!