The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-07-2008, 12:55 AM   #1
Rokcrln

Got Dice!

My one weak point in fabrication is tig welding. I just don't take enough time to practice and with tig it is practice that will get you good. So I figured why not play and practice at the same time so today I decided to start with the easy stuff Aluminum I am putting LowBuck in a car show on Sunday over in Woodland and thought a set of dice hanging from the rear view mirror would add a nice touch. So I found a sheet of Alum in the back bay and sliced up (6) 4" squares, punched some 3/4" holes and went at it. The weld's were ok but not real great then I found out from a friend that has my same tig machine that the tungsten I have is for steel and for alum I need 100% tungsten. May be that is why it was not working as smooth as it should. On Saturday I am going to make another one out of Stainless Steel and hang them both from the rear view (once I get their) just for the show. My wife has already called dibs on this one for her desk at work for a 1-6 pencil holder

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Last edited by Rokcrln; 06-07-2008 at 12:57 AM.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 01:00 AM   #2
imholte

Re: Got Dice!

Cool, tig welding is ridiculous to learn, so many variables to deal with, I think I will stick with wire feed.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:14 AM   #3
Rokcrln

Yes Mig is so much easier and I have been doing it for 20+yrs now that it is second nature. I want to get to the point with my Tig that I don't even want to pull out my Mig. I am planning on doing alot more metal shaping and the weld produced by a Tig machine is alot more workable than that of a Mig machine. I know it will take some time but I have no doubt that I will be their soon enough

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Last edited by Rokcrln; 06-07-2008 at 01:24 AM.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:20 AM   #4
4cefed

What kind of machine do you have for tig? If its a synchrowave or something similar, use 2% (red top) like you would for steel. Sharpen it to a point like steel. It works better than the rest of them.
4cefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 01:29 AM   #5
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cefed View Post
What kind of machine do you have for tig? If its a synchrowave or something similar, use 2% (red top) like you would for steel. Sharpen it to a point like steel. It works better than the rest of them.
It is a Lincoln square wave if I remember right. The red top is what I have now and I have tried both pencil and round top and it just wants to pick up tons of debris. My friend has the same machine and he says to use the green top? All I know is his welds look correct and mine do not on the aluminum. My mild steel and SS look great I just need to get more proficient at it with 18 and 20ga. I am always looking for tips so if you have them please let me hear them.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:42 AM   #6
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Looks good to me: but I neither TIG, nor MIG. Just a little stick and gas.

Where's the car show in Woodland?
I don't have anything to do Sun. I could maybe, just possibly, cruise up that way.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 01:59 AM   #7
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Jay View Post
Looks good to me: but I neither TIG, nor MIG. Just a little stick and gas.

Where's the car show in Woodland?
I don't have anything to do Sun. I could maybe, just possibly, cruise up that way.
Head up HWY 113 out of Davis off I-80 and get off at Gibson rd. Turn left and go over the freeway and about 4 blocks up on the right is the Fair Grounds. Last year the show was out standing for a small town setting. They had the guys doing stunt bike trick through out the day in an area, fun to watch. It is also a fairly large HD bike show as well.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:09 AM   #8
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
Head up HWY 113 out of Davis off I-80 and get off at Gibson rd. Turn left and go over the freeway and about 4 blocks up on the right is the Fair Grounds. Last year the show was out standing for a small town setting. They had the guys doing stunt bike trick through out the day in an area, fun to watch. It is also a fairly large HD bike show as well.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Kool. Thanks for the info.

I'll try to head up that way (I'll be coming out of Antioch) if my cousin and I don't end up working on his wife's C-20.

If I don't get there, have a great weekend.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 06:45 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

That came out nice.You`re like me,I`ve been meaning to practice on something.When you get aluminum down you know you got it.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 07:32 AM   #10
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

www.millerwelds.com

They have tons of info on what to use when TIG welding.They also have lots of contests for home built projects of all kinds.I also just read an article in Classic trucks or CCT on TIG.I can't put my hand on it right now but I think it said 2% th tungsten for aluminum.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"

Last edited by PanelDeland; 06-07-2008 at 07:35 AM.
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 07:56 AM   #11
santana474

I evy you being able to weld like that. I have absolutely no experience with any kind of welding. My father-in-law just gave me his 110v welder and I am going to start practicing before I touch my truck with it.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:07 AM   #12
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Great work! My dad is welder by trade, and he is the go-to guy at the place he works for aluminum, stainless, cast iron and pressure pipe welding. He and I have the MIG vs everything else arguement all the time. He is awesome with TIG welds anything thin or delicate (including sheetmetal) and prefers to weld anything structural with a stick welder. He rarely welds anything with a MIG, and always picks at me saying MIG stands for "Many Idiots Get-it"! I use MIGs for almost everything, but I admit, its because I'm not a expert welder. I machined him plaque on a CNC mill he keeps on toolbox that reads "Pops Welding Shop - We can weld anything from a broken heart to the crack of dawn"
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 10:45 AM   #13
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
www.millerwelds.com

They have tons of info on what to use when TIG welding.They also have lots of contests for home built projects of all kinds.I also just read an article in Classic trucks or CCT on TIG.I can't put my hand on it right now but I think it said 2% th tungsten for aluminum.
Yep that is the article that got me thinking I really need to get my but in gear and practice some. They still say (last caption on pg 26) to use 100% green tungsten with AC sin and Square wave machines but with Advanced Squarewave technology you can use 2% cerated orange tungsten ground to a point because it will take more heat then 100% and hold a point better at lower amps. All I have or have tried with is the red tungsten so ether way I am off and I will pick up some orange and greeen and give it a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_C-30 View Post
I machined him plaque on a CNC mill he keeps on toolbox that reads "Pops Welding Shop - We can weld anything from a broken heart to the crack of dawn"
So how is he at welding Plumber Crack! Their are many house wives that would pay for this feature!
So call up the Master and see what his thoughts are on tungsten color for Alum.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Last edited by Rokcrln; 06-07-2008 at 10:45 AM.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:52 PM   #14
Super-Dave

Did these oxy/acetylene.
Attached Images

Last edited by Super-Dave; 06-07-2008 at 01:52 PM.
Super-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 10:40 AM   #15
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

Thats look really good, you should make like 50 of em and sell em 15$ each. $$$$

Miss having a truck
thirdstreettito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:25 PM   #16
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

I think those turned great, nice work!

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 09:51 PM   #17
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Pure green for your machine. Turn up the amps and ball the end instead of sharpening it.
I have a Miller Dynasty 300; it is an advanced square wave. On the Dynasty machines you cant use pure tungsten, and you have to point it.
If you ever get the chance to try a Dynasty, try it... it sure makes a so so weldor like me look good. Technology is a great thing... oh by the way, it sure uses alot less juice than the old tech stuff.
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:06 PM   #18
Rokcrln

Yes I plan on buying a real nice Tig machine one of these days but I figure if I can't master this one why buy up. Plus once I master this one a new tech machine will be so easy. I had my friend bring a pure green by today when he grabbed my car trailer and it worked great. I balled it up and turned up to 150 or so and wow I can now weld. I spent about 2hrs yesterday making (1) 4" dice. Today I spent 30 min making (2) 1 1/2" dice (time does not include finishing) and right out of the heat the welds looked great on the 1 1/2" dice as were the 4" needed to be ground to even lok decent. I would have left these but my wife wanted them smooth!

Thanks for all the input!
Super-Dave I have never tried oxy/acetylene but I figure with stick, mig and now tig I should be good. I have done lead work with oxy/acetylene but not really the same thing. Dice look good.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:17 PM   #19
Jerry Jones
Happy Camper

Wow that is clean, only in my dreams could I do that kinda work.