The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-15-2016, 05:00 PM   #1
BB72CHEVKT

Thoughts on value

Original drive train. What would you be comfortable paying for this truck? Click link to see truck.

http://www.streetsideclassics.com/ve...-c10-silverado

Last edited by BB72CHEVKT; 02-15-2016 at 05:37 PM. Reason: add info
BB72CHEVKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 12:09 AM   #2
Jrgunn5150

Re: Thoughts on value

Even verifying that it's a 350, because it's really probably a 305, I might pay half that.

Link to Daryl's build, http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...10#post8443010

Link to my Youtube channel with build info, https://www.youtube.com/thedrivewayengineer
Jrgunn5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 12:48 AM   #3
barry1982

Really nice truck... but pricey......I too would really check the engine size.....
I bought an 87 Silverado SWB brand new. I recall the GM dealer told me at the time that if I wanted the 700R4, it was only available with the 305. If you selected the 350 option, it came with a 3 speed auto. or standard. Not positive this is true.... but that's what the man told me. PS.... A full load 1987 Silverado cost $ 18900.00 brand new. (Canadian)
barry1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:24 AM   #4
Firebirdjones

Eh, it's a half ton short bed with a 350. Me personally, it's not worth much because I can't use it as a truck to do things I need to do.

A truck like that, at that point I'd rather just buy a car.

But, people like them, and they probably won't have trouble selling at that price.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:27 AM   #5
BB72CHEVKT

I am not looking to pay the price listed. I am interested in what a person who is actually interested in having a truck like this might be willing to pay.

Last edited by BB72CHEVKT; 02-16-2016 at 11:42 AM.
BB72CHEVKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:06 AM   #6
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB72CHEVKT View Post
I am not looking to pay anywhere near the price listed. I am interested in what a person who is actually interested in having a truck like this might be willing to pay.
I will respectfully disagree with anyone that thinks you can find a truck this clean for half that price. Please send them to me and I will buy all of them.

That appears to be a very clean original truck. The pictures dont show an obvious repaint. It doesnt matter if its a quality repaint, or clean original paint, it appears very nice with no signs of cancer.

Right now the 87 TBI 350 trucks are bringing good money. I'll bet that truck didnt sell for less than 10k.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 02-16-2016 at 11:12 AM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:16 AM   #7
BB72CHEVKT

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
I will respectfully disagree with anyone that thinks you can find a truck this clean for half that price. Please send them to me and I will buy all of them.

That appears to be a very clean original truck. The pictures dont show an obvious repaint. It doesnt matter if its a quality repaint, or clean original paint, it appears very nice with no signs of cancer.

Right now the 87 TBI 350 trucks are bringing good money. I'll bet that truck didnt sell for less than 10k.
Thanks for your input. I hope to be the new owner.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:22 AM   #8
85blustepside

I have to disagree we cannot tell from pictures what it is worth.
If that is all original, is there any rust, etc if so the asking price is cheap.
There is a huge market out there for a nice truck.
Most want to have them to be used as a car driven to shows.
My truck is a toy to be driven on warm sunny days.

My build is going to go over the asking price.
85blustepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:26 AM   #9
Firebirdjones

Quote:

I agree with that. If it's clean and no rust, they are gaining in popularity (and price) Unrestored vehicles (including trucks) are gaining in price as well as more and more people are after unmolested examples. It doesn't necessarily have to be restored to fetch decent money.
I was offered $10k twice for mine in unrestored original condition. I could have let it go, but didn't. There are people out there that will pay these prices for nice survivor square bodies, and I suspect as they keep getting older, prices will in fact go up.

With that said however, I don't really consider an 87 all that old.....yet, and these vehicles that enter the early computer age with more smog than motor does turn a lot of people off.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:40 AM   #10
Pyrotechnic

I have to agree that the listed price is about right, especially given that it is a dealership. It feels like just yesterday you could take that truck home for $5,000, but many years have passed and prices have gone up, and will continue to rise.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:32 PM   #11
BB72CHEVKT

Quote:

There is one spot of cancer behind the passenger rear wheel the size of a quarter and a couple of small bubble close to it that needs to be taken care of other than a few rock chips it looks good. The current seller thinks it is the original motor but the side of the block looking from underneath looks to clean to me. I have a 15k mile crate in my burb that is as dirty as this motor.
Old 02-16-2016, 03:33 PM   #12
allengator

Quote:

I agree 100%....
That price is NOT out of line if it is as clean in person as it is in the pics...

1980 Chevy SWB Pickup (build thread)

1951 Chevy Sedan Delivery
2004 Chevy Tahoe Z71
2011 Harley Davidson Street Glide
2018 Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
allengator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 03:43 PM   #13
ptc

Never value anything from pictures.... You'll almost always be disappointed....
Old 02-16-2016, 04:13 PM   #14
TKCR

I wouldn't have a problem at all, nor did I, when I purchased my 86 C10 3 years ago. The condition of my truck was/is very similar to this truck that is listed. I paid just a tad lower than what they were asking for this truck.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 04:19 PM   #15
allengator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptc View Post
Never value anything from pictures.... You'll almost always be disappointed....
My attempts at online dating can attest to that!

1980 Chevy SWB Pickup (build thread)

1951 Chevy Sedan Delivery
2004 Chevy Tahoe Z71
2011 Harley Davidson Street Glide
2018 Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
allengator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 04:19 PM   #16
ultrahd4me

Well I'll put my opinion in the mix also, I've owned and built 14 of these trucks in the last 36 months. The days of super nice swb trucks for 4-5k are long gone for the most part, today most of those run 6.5-8.5k for decent paint, clean interior and stock drivetrain. I think the money on this truck is in the 8.5-10.5k range based on pics and description. I think its a very nice looking truck and would be a killer truck to drop and add wheels to. I'm finding the few trucks that bring the 14k price tags in stock form are rare big block trucks, or fully documented low milage original trucks. At the end of the day its worth what you are willing to pay, and I hope you get it.
ultrahd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:33 AM   #17
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

I agree with the poster who said half that... its not even restored so there is no way that a survivor is worth the money like that for a still pretty common truck

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:55 AM   #18
95 S_Trucker

I think the price is fair. It is worth that. You cannot build a truck to that quality for less than that price.

Fyi, the vin code K indicates the truck cam from the factory with a 5.7

The only thing I see wrong is that the truck is being advertised as a C10. A 1987 would be an R10
95 S_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 12:23 PM   #19
Dead Parrot

A fair part of the question is do you want a work PU or a show vehicle with a PU body style? If you are after a show truck, it is almost always cheaper to buy one already done or mostly done then to buy a beater and fix it up.

The other elephant in the room is the price of new PUs has reached new highs and middle class folks that want a decent PU often can't afford one and have to buy used. Even at the price the PU in question went for, it is a huge savings over a new or nearly new PU.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 03:19 PM   #20
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

I've owned both a '86 305 truck and an '87 tbi 305 truck.
The tbi 1987 model ran so much better than the carbureted version.
The fact that it's a '87 makes it worth more than any of the 81-87 body style trucks.
Just my opinion.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:11 PM   #21
Jrgunn5150

I stand by my 7,000 value. That's the most I'd be willing to pay for it, which was the question, what's it worth? I have no idea, but I know what it's worth to me. I really don't want an unmolested, perfect condition survivor anyway, myself, i want one I can do whatever I want to, which is why I bought the one I did.

Link to Daryl's build, http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...10#post8443010

Link to my Youtube channel with build info, https://www.youtube.com/thedrivewayengineer
Jrgunn5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:50 PM   #22
BB72CHEVKT

There is a lien on the vehicle so my plan is to have him sign a bill of sale and get it notarized at the credit union as protection until he gets the title back from the lender. I was also going to wire the money from my account to the lender as additional proof of payment and take possession of the truck with payment and bill of sale. The lender will only mail the title to him. Anyone have a bill of sale format that they have used in these circumstances.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:35 PM   #23
BB72CHEVKT

I went to see the truck today in the daylight since I looked at it the other night. I also didn't drive it the other day only listened to it idle. The good news is I was impressed with how well it drove and ran. The suspension and steering was good as well. The ac was ice cold although there was a switch by the accumulator that had to be tapped for it to kick on. The paint is not as good in the day light. There is the one cancer spot berhind the rear passenger wheel that I saw the other night so no suprise there. There were a 2 maybe three small dings that paintless dent repair could get out and are not very noticeable. The roof of the cab had a big scratch that may have left an impression in the metal. You can't see it at stock height but will probably be able to see it when lowered. I found it strange that it did not have a tilt column and the cluster bezel was black with not stainless looking face. I think it is the original bezel. The card board tray behind the seat is like new looking which I find odd if it is original.The spare tire carrier is missing and the retrosound stereo is not working. I crawled under it again and still think the motor may have been replaced at some point due to how clean it is underneath. There is a little oil but not much and is very clean for the 28k on the odometer.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:46 PM   #24
68longhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB72CHEVKT View Post
I went to see the truck today in the daylight since I looked at it the other night. I also didn't drive it the other day only listened to it idle. The good news is I was impressed with how well it drove and ran. The suspension and steering was good as well. The ac was ice cold although there was a switch by the accumulator that had to be tapped for it to kick on. The paint is not as good in the day light. There is the one cancer spot berhind the rear passenger wheel that I saw the other night so no suprise there. There were a 2 maybe three small dings that paintless dent repair could get out and are not very noticeable. The roof of the cab had a big scratch that may have left an impression in the metal. You can't see it at stock height but will probably be able to see it when lowered. I found it strange that it did not have a tilt column and the cluster bezel was black with not stainless looking face. I think it is the original bezel. The card board tray behind the seat is like new looking which I find odd if it is original.The spare tire carrier is missing and the retrosound stereo is not working. I crawled under it again and still think the motor may have been replaced at some point due to how clean it is underneath. There is a little oil but not much and is very clean for the 28k on the odometer.
Im still living in the past apparently. Its a nice looking truck but for 10k or more I think it should be spotless, and everything work perfect. I know new truck prices are astronomical but I still don't see it with these old trucks. Even with the 67-72 I can't understand the prices they go for.

I bought my 86 with 105k miles, good paint, nickle sized rust holes in the cab corners and surface rust on lf fender for well under $1500 in 2008. I think I got a great deal on it, thought it was maybe a $2500-$3000 truck at that time and still a similar value today.
68longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 04:47 PM   #25
BB72CHEVKT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68longhorn View Post
Im still living in the past apparently. Its a nice looking truck but for 10k or more I think it should be spotless, and everything work perfect. I know new truck prices are astronomical but I still don't see it with these old trucks. Even with the 67-72 I can't understand the prices they go for.

I bought my 86 with 105k miles, good paint, nickle sized rust holes in the cab corners and surface rust on lf fender for well under $1500 in 2008. I think I got a great deal on it, thought it was maybe a $2500-$3000 truck at that time and still a similar value today.
The truck is in incredible shape and runs and drives great. The pics are pretty accurate minus the few paint chips.