The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-03-2006, 02:03 AM   #1
dalbers

cab corners and rockers

I just was looking at my truck and the po just fiberglassed the cab corners and rockers. Are these structurally critical to the cab, or are the cab supports and cab mounts the main things to worry about? I've put new cab mounts, but need to get the cab support covers or new cab supports? Do I NEED new corners and rockers, or can i just leave them fiberglassed? Thanks in advance.
David
dalbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 02:04 AM   #2
dalbers

Re: cab corners and rockers

Oh, this is just going to be a dd and am not worried about it being a show truck, it will get driven.
dalbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 08:21 AM   #3
Rokcrln

If you do not care about the rust comming back and getting worse than just replace the supports and drive it. If you want it fixed right (even not for show) then replace the bad areas and start with good metal. Just my thoughts.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 08:31 AM   #4
Huck

On a dialy driver- if most of the metal is structurally strong, you can remove the loose crap and coat with a rust stopping paint like POR15 and you can probably use it like that for 10 years!!! If the outer rockers has holes, you may as well remove and replace it --fairly basic--just be sure to coat the inners sides real good before install.
The cab corners are a bugger to replace so I would tend to avoid that unless they are totally bad. If just bubbles and small holes, you can remove the loose stuff, coat with POR15, then glass in with no structual impact.
Floor supports should be replaced if gone but I've seen many trucks run for years with minimal supports left--not what I would do but~~. My .02--Huck
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote