The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-09-2020, 08:28 PM   #1
malc1080

drop square bodies with leaf springs pics!

Hello everyone!

I know there has been many threads on drops, but not much on square bodies since they require more finessing due to leaf springs and are not as easy as the 67-72s who are blessed with coils.. (yes there’s 4 links solutions)... So I would like some pictures of 3/5 drops or 4/6 drops of square bodies with leaf springs ! I would like to know how you accomplished a 5 or 6 in with the amount of leafs. I know most will be spindles, springs and flip kits, but what many forget to mention is how thick of a leaf pack they are running. Also what flip kits do you guys Like? Bell tech, western chassis, cpp, DJM, mcgaughys etc.. i feel like they are all mostly the same but is interesting how some flip kits like DJM will be confident they will give a 5in drop with no c notch while some flip kit sellers will say 6-7 and sell you or recommend you a c notch ... hope I can get some pictures of people willing to share. Maybe not since this has been done many times lol
malc1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 07:43 AM   #2
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Re: drop square bodies with leaf springs pics!

Probably best way to get the 5/6 rear drop is to do axle flip. Does not matter about spring count then. CPP modular spindles and 2" drop springs will give you the front drop and not shove your wheels out further.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!

Last edited by Palf70Step; 06-12-2020 at 11:00 AM.
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 10:57 AM   #3
malc1080

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
Probably best way to get the 5/6 rear drop is to do axle flip. Dose not matter about spring count then. CPP modular spindles and 2" drop springs will give you the front drop and not shove your wheels out further.
I absolutely agree, a flip kit is the best way for the rear. I though leaf pack count played a tiny factor on total drop .
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-10-2020, 08:53 AM   #4
Hart_Rod

6/4.5 - rear flip kit, CPP 2.5 dropped spindles/2"dropped springs.
Attached Images

Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 10:59 AM   #5
malc1080

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
6/4.5 - rear flip kit, CPP 2.5 dropped spindles/2"dropped springs.

Your truck Is badass! You can’t go wrong with stock rally’s matched with the perfect drop. Very nice!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-10-2020, 11:23 AM   #6
skyphix

Home made flip kit in the back, 2.5" drop spindles in the front, stock worn out 6 cyl springs, with a 5.3/4L80E. It sits nose high a bit, but the wheel/tire combo evens it out pretty nicely. I do have 2" drop springs for the front, just havent installed them yet.
skyphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 11:02 AM   #7
malc1080

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyphix View Post

Home made flip kit in the back, 2.5" drop spindles in the front, stock worn out 6 cyl springs, with a 5.3/4L80E. It sits nose high a bit, but the wheel/tire combo evens it out pretty nicely. I do have 2" drop springs for the front, just havent installed them yet.
You truck sits nice ! Not bad for a home made flip kit. I heard of people making homemade kits. Alway though it Was pretty cool because can be engineers and have the talent to lower it themselves .
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-11-2020, 04:09 PM   #8
skyphix

Quote:
Originally Posted by malc1080 View Post
You truck sits nice ! Not bad for a home made flip kit. I heard of people making homemade kits. Alway though it Was pretty cool because can be engineers and have the talent to lower it themselves .
Posted via Mobile Device

It was made by one of the people that owned it before me - not sure exactly when, but its holding up well enough. I've just gone through and fixed some issues with it - and ultimately need to replace the leaf packs but I'll be sticking with just stock 3+1 packs - Thanks!
skyphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 09:18 AM   #9
SCOTI

Quote:
Hello everyone!

I know there has been many threads on drops, but not much on square bodies since they require more finessing due to leaf springs and are not as easy as the 67-72s who are blessed with coils.. (yes there’s 4 links solutions)... So I would like some pictures of 3/5 drops or 4/6 drops of square bodies with leaf springs ! I would like to know how you accomplished a 5 or 6 in with the amount of leafs. I know most will be spindles, springs and flip kits, but what many forget to mention is how thick of a leaf pack they are running. Also what flip kits do you guys Like? Bell tech, western chassis, cpp, DJM, mcgaughys etc.. i feel like they are all mostly the same but is interesting how some flip kits like DJM will be confident they will give a 5in drop with no c notch while some flip kit sellers will say 6-7 and sell you or recommend you a c notch ... hope I can get some pictures of people willing to share. Maybe not since this has been done many times lol
Drops vary on flip kits because of the quantity of leafs & the thickness of each one. It's not a mystery, it's math.

In the original installed form, the rear axle tube/housing sits under the leaf pack. When doing a flip kit, the axle tube/housing is now moved above the spring pack. You take the total height/thickness of the spring pack & add in the radius of the axle tube (3" OD tube = 1.5 radius) & that's the amount of drop the truck will get (approximate).

Trucks w/fewer leafs don't drop as much as trucks w/HD leaf packs. The only thing that alters this is if the main leafs start getting pulled from the pack. When people do this, the truck can squat more because the overall capacity (or spring rate) is reduced.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 12:49 PM   #10
dagnabbitt

1981 C10 with axle flip and 4.5 inch drop in the front. I didn't do a C notch, but occasionally I wish I had, like when there's a pothole I did't see.

The flip kit is a Bell Tech model, and although everyone will tell you to use shock relocators - and I agree it would be best - I didn't have an extra hundred bucks to spend at that point in the project and so I just used the drop shocks that Bell Tech recommends with their kit and they work great. Front springs and spindles are from ECE, I am really going to miss that company since they closed their doors this year.

Pics are before and after
Attached Images

1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10

Last edited by dagnabbitt; 06-14-2020 at 12:57 PM.
dagnabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 12:46 PM   #11
malc1080

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagnabbitt View Post
1981 C10 with axle flip and 4.5 inch drop in the front. I didn't do a C notch, but occasionally I wish I had, like when there's a pothole I did't see.

The flip kit is a Bell Tech model, and although everyone will tell you to use shock relocators - and I agree it would be best - I didn't have an extra hundred bucks to spend at that point in the project and so I just used the drop shocks that Bell Tech recommends with their kit and they work great. Front springs and spindles are from ECE, I am really going to miss that company since they closed their doors this year.

Pics are before and after

Your truck sits so much better now! Are you still running it without shock relocators? I’m sure that will help for your bottoming out issue. Thats crazy how that company just closed after many years of business. I never got a chance to try their parts since I got into the c10 game late but I heard a lot of great things from his forum .
Old 06-15-2020, 12:42 PM   #12
malc1080

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Drops vary on flip kits because of the quantity of leafs & the thickness of each one. It's not a mystery, it's math.

In the original installed form, the rear axle tube/housing sits under the leaf pack. When doing a flip kit, the axle tube/housing is now moved above the spring pack. You take the total height/thickness of the spring pack & add in the radius of the axle tube (3" OD tube = 1.5 radius) & that's the amount of drop the truck will get (approximate).

Trucks w/fewer leafs don't drop as much as trucks w/HD leaf packs. The only thing that alters this is if the main leafs start getting pulled from the pack. When people do this, the truck can squat more because the overall capacity (or spring rate) is reduced.

Thanks Scoti for stepping and giving us that knowledge! Wasn’t good at math lol so how many leafs would I need need for just a 5? So level out a 3 in front spindle
Old 06-14-2020, 06:47 PM   #13
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Clipped 2 coils.
And flipped in the rear with weld on axle pads, no notch. Light duty 52'' 3 leaf helper removed
Attached Images

Last edited by KQQL IT; 06-14-2020 at 07:07 PM.
KQQL IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 12:47 PM   #14
malc1080

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQQL IT View Post
Clipped 2 coils.
And flipped in the rear with weld on axle pads, no notch. Light duty 52'' 3 leaf helper removed
That truck is fire! Perfect the way it is!
Old 06-15-2020, 01:01 PM   #15
malc1080

Just got my moog 6454 springs from summit racing! I hope I can return it to just a 3in front drop and take measurements and find out what drop the previous owner did and hope my ugly rake goes away. Then I can do the flip to complete my truck. Leveled, grill swap and some bigger wheels and I’ll be happy. Going with some Intros wheels once I have the money .
Attached Images

Old 06-15-2020, 01:37 PM   #16
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Quote:
That truck is fire! Perfect the way it is!
Wish the front was a shade lower. Glass hood and heater delete manual brakes and steering lightened it up a bit
Old 06-18-2020, 12:10 AM   #17
superdav

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQQL IT View Post
Clipped 2 coils.
damn that paint looks good
superdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 12:17 AM   #18
malc1080

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdav View Post
Thank you! I need to get it repainted where they tried to steal the truck front the previous owner. And the PO doesn’t know the paint code. You can see that front fender to the cab is scratched up. But I ran Into the obstacle of searching for paint that every car brand has their own paint code. So not I’m like wow great. Know i need to find which car brand paint (ppg, DuPont, etc) are best and find dedicate some time looking through their samples.
Old 06-19-2020, 08:36 AM   #19
SCOTI

Quote:
Thank you! I need to get it repainted where they tried to steal the truck front the previous owner. And the PO doesn’t know the paint code. You can see that front fender to the cab is scratched up. But I ran Into the obstacle of searching for paint that every car brand has their own paint code. So not I’m like wow great. Know i need to find which car brand paint (ppg, DuPont, etc) are best and find dedicate some time looking through their samples.
Does it have a gas-fill door? If so, most competent paint stores can scan & match an unknown color.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 09:42 PM   #20
malc1080

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Does it have a gas-fill door? If so, most competent paint stores can scan & match an unknown color.
Hey Scoti! Yea it does so I’ll be taking it to a body shop and hope it comes out the same. Then I’ll repaint the whole truck once i get the code from the fender paint job
Old 06-21-2020, 01:19 AM   #21
malc1080

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdav View Post
LMAO I thought you were talkng about mine! awkward lol. Yes that blue is nice! great looking truck
Old 06-20-2020, 09:48 PM   #22
malc1080

So I added my front springs today. Moog 6454 to give me that 3in spindle height and know how much of a drop I had. The new springs gave it a 3in lift. It hasn’t been driven so I hope it settles but I already know it’s going to remain high. I now miss the other springs it had. They were the same height but I guess they were heated. They were too bouncy and I would hit the headers on a speed bump. I guess it was lowered about 5-6ins since this is what a bell tech 3in spindle height looks like. I guess I’ll just go with a 1in drop spring next. It cost to get it right
Attached Images

Last edited by malc1080; 06-20-2020 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 06-21-2020, 03:31 AM   #23
Wikid61
Post Whore

Originally Posted by robnolimit
Spring rates for stock style C-10's seem high, but this is do to the A-arm ratio. Here are some stock spring rates
Moog # 6082 722 lbs/in 6 cyl, and light v-8
Moog # 6542 842 lbs/in std v-8
Moog # 6102 1015 lbs/in bigblock, longbed c.s.
Moog # 6104 1016 lbs/in 3/4 ton, sits 1/2" higher than #6102
Moog # 6454 1060 lbs/in 3/4t bbc, c.s, 1ton
So, Hotchkis' 1100lb may not be so heavy. I currently have the #6082 spring with one coil cut in the JT project, and it is too soft for me. I'm going to swap in the #6102 springs next week. Going to track test it tues. with the soft springs. All my number crunching shows me a 950 spring, but we'll see.
When it comes to frame boxing, i'm not a big fan of full chassis boxing, as it can lead to a cracked frame. Bracing key areas, and creating triangles is a better aproach, check the earlier posts.
Wikid61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 03:33 AM   #24
Wikid61
Post Whore

QUOTE=robnolimit;4510198]WEST9378 - Try to stick with a reasonable aproach, and you'l get good results. If you start with the leafs, lets say that the top spring with the eye is #1, and the count down from there to the shortest #6. Keep 1,2, & 3. pull #4, keep #5, pull #6. Use a hand gringer/sander to round off and radius the ends of the springs. Get some teflon liner to put between the leafs (speedway, Eaton, ..) and reassemble. Call Helwig and get a 1" rear sway bar. From RideTech, use pt # ARK2004, with a shrader fill kit.
Wikid61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 10:04 PM   #25
jkk

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1592964203
Attached Images

jkk is offline   Reply With Quote