The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-30-2012, 01:52 PM   #1
stroker87

Air bag suspension guys need some help (please)

Hi

as some of you know I recently but a bagged 95 gmc this is my 1st time with a air system and have some questions

1.) are you suppose to ride fully aired up or is it a personal preference?

2.) kind feels like the truck has bump steer is this just some thing you have to deal with when you have air ride or is some thing wrong or maybe worn out really dont know how the ride should be but is factory like possible?

3.) the bags get air from a engine drive compressor thats is hooked up to a switch I was told not to go over 200psi but a couple times I forgot to turn it off and there was over 200psi in the system is there a way to install some thing to turn the pump off at a set pressure so I dont have to watch the gauge all the time?

thanks
stroker87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:57 PM   #2
csa daddy

Re: Air bag suspension guys need some help (please)

Not sure on the first two but the last you can get a pressure switch to turn on at like 145 or 165 on an 200 off to work the comp
Posted via Mobile Device
csa daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:03 PM   #3
PBFAB.COM

First off no, driving with an over pressurized bag will result in horrible handling characteristics.. Which bags are you running? every bag has a manufacture suggested ride height on your truck will require 80-105psi to achieve ride height but it also depends on bag size, motor, and if you're using stock arms or tubulars.
As for the pressure regulation there are pressure switches you can purchase to cut that compressor off.... Let me know if there is anything else I can help you out with...
-
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
stroker87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porterbuilt Direct View Post
First off no, driving with an over pressurized bag will result in horrible handling characteristics.. Which bags are you running? every bag has a manufacture suggested ride height on your truck will require 80-105psi to achieve ride height but it also depends on bag size, motor, and if you're using stock arms or tubulars.
As for the pressure regulation there are pressure switches you can purchase to cut that compressor off.... Let me know if there is anything else I can help you out with...
-
the front bags are 2,600lb Contitech bags, 1/2 in port I really dont have any more info on them the rear I was told are the same, its a stock a-arm setup up front and a custom built 4 link/c notch in the rear

from playing around with the system it seams like it takes around 160/170psi to get the front end all the way up and about 90psi or so to get the back up all the way up not sure if that helps you out any? i was driving it fully aired at the time and the bump steer was not ridiculous more on the annoying side

I was able to talk to the guy who built the truck, he told me it was built to ride low so what your saying is making sense to me now that i think of what he said

is the pressure switch some thing I can find locally?
stroker87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:02 PM   #5
csa daddy

Would think any place that sales a pressure switch for compressors would sale one that would work try lowes or check with places that deal with road tractors the should have what you need locally
Posted via Mobile Device
csa daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:17 PM   #6
PBFAB.COM

We have 110psi-150psi pressure switches they are going to run 35.00
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:45 PM   #7
broey
Square

you definitely need a pressure cut off switch. I also run an engine driven compressor and I use a 165psi-200psi switch.