The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-04-2008, 10:51 PM   #1
semperfidoordie
Fix It Till It's Broke

Year Correct License Plate

Hey everyone I searched the forums and couldn't find anything about getting a year correct license plate. I was looking for a CA one for my 69 and wondered if anyone knew of the stipulations (if any) behind getting one registered to my truck and/or where to buy one. Thanks everyone
Blue Dragon: 72 K-10 SOLD!
The Tank 77 K-10 KIA

panhandler62: Just don't search for "trannys" no matter how hard yours shifts -- you just won't get what you are looking for.

I Made The Official So Cal Board Meet
semperfidoordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:09 PM   #2
fastom
That's right, it's Copper!!

Re: Year Correct License Plate

I checked into it a few months ago. The plates must be commercial plates and they must be DMV clear. You also have to have both plates.
fastom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:05 AM   #3
vectorit
What?

I looked into this a couple of years ago, since I wanted to get the black and yellow plates back. At the time of my research, (yea I research things) the black and yellow plate can not be reused. Such as buying a set from a collector, then registering them to your vehicle. The state of CA calls em vanity plates, and they would charge you the extra on top of the regular registration fee for such a plate.
On the other hand, if you had a vehicle that came with the yellow and blacks you could set them up as vanity plates on your vehicle. My buddy was able to get yellow and blacks on his 56 Vdub, and they set you up with a sepperate metal tab to attach onto the plate where it screws to the frame, and thats where you are to affix your sticker that you pay for everytime you renew.
Now that is not to say things have changed since I looked into this, and I am going to look into it again sooner or later. Since I too would love to get the original style plates back onto my truck.

just my .02
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:14 AM   #4
Cyclone

I heard that DMV recently ammended the YOM (year of manufacture) plate program to include vehicles up to 1969, was up to 1963.
1964-1969 will be eligable in July 2009 for YOM plates.

From DMV look down the page a ways.
Application info

Plates

Last edited by Cyclone; 11-05-2008 at 12:28 AM.
Cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:59 AM   #5
vectorit
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
I heard that DMV recently ammended the YOM (year of manufacture) plate program to include vehicles up to 1969, was up to 1963.
1964-1969 will be eligable in July 2009 for YOM plates.

From DMV look down the page a ways.
Application info

Plates
Very cool Cyclone! Great to hear the DMV bumped up the YOM date. Now I need to go find a pair of black and yellow's!
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:41 AM   #6
Cyclone

Here ya go vectorit, a place to start.
Cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:57 AM   #7
Ricks1971

Ricks1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:18 AM   #8
mr48chev

Each state that offers YOM plates has it's own set of rules concerning those plates.
The info can usually be found on the particular states web site.

My personal opinion is that they are one of those cute things that goes with a fully restored down to the last perfectly placed cotter key vehicle but I have no desire to have them on my vehicles as I tend to drive them too much and too far away from home. My vehicles are also modified and the 48 is quite radical by most standards.
On the other hand there may be an advantage to the Collector plates that this state offers as I believe you only have to run a rear plate. But again a gung ho member of the law enforcement brigade might decide that one wasn't just driving the truck on special occasions only if I drove it to work once a week.
In this state there are also the restrictions that say you can't haul anything in the truck nor can you use it in a commercial endeavor or for work.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:08 AM   #9
jorgensensc

Here was our experience here in Texas last Month. We have a set of '72 plates. They are off white w/ Blue letters/numbers. They are completely original as far as we can tell, having never been painted. They match the burb color nicely, although they are obviously a little road worn. When we went to go get them registered and they wouldn't do it. Apparently they will only register the off white with GEEN letters. We have a set of those also, but we really wanted to use the blue ones. The funny thing is we have seen the off white and blue ones on other vehicles, so we know they are original, but they will only register the off white and green ones. We think the difference is car plates and truck plates, or it could even be a county difference for the color. It was just very irritating. Good luck to you, just be aware of the different stipulations.
Shawn

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:05 AM   #10
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgensensc View Post
Here was our experience here in Texas last Month. We have a set of '72 plates. They are off white w/ Blue letters/numbers. They are completely original as far as we can tell, having never been painted. They match the burb color nicely, although they are obviously a little road worn. When we went to go get them registered and they wouldn't do it. Apparently they will only register the off white with GEEN letters. We have a set of those also, but we really wanted to use the blue ones. The funny thing is we have seen the off white and blue ones on other vehicles, so we know they are original, but they will only register the off white and green ones. We think the difference is car plates and truck plates, or it could even be a county difference for the color. It was just very irritating. Good luck to you, just be aware of the different stipulations.
Shawn
As for using the white/ blue plates, I would try another office for your county. The state has a book that gives the correct color combo based on year and whether it is a car, truck or farm truck. My dad has white "farm truck" plates with black letters on his 71 GMC that were new/ unissued. I have black with white plates on a 62 Mercury Comet that I had to repaint, and white with blue letter "car" tags on my 72 SWB (they do not say "truck"). The lady I dealt with on mine never looked the colors up. Every time I go in, she remembers me as the "old truck guy" and GLANCED at them and said "Oh, that will be neat!" and proceeded to do her paperwork. It sounds like you have someone with a bad home life who wants to take it out on you by following everything to the letter. Try and find a branch office off the beaten path for your county and see if the will go with your tags.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:33 AM   #11
jorgensensc

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDESIDE72 View Post
As for using the white/ blue plates, I would try another office for your county. The state has a book that gives the correct color combo based on year and whether it is a car, truck or farm truck. My dad has white "farm truck" plates with black letters on his 71 GMC that were new/ unissued. I have black with white plates on a 62 Mercury Comet that I had to repaint, and white with blue letter "car" tags on my 72 SWB (they do not say "truck"). The lady I dealt with on mine never looked the colors up. Every time I go in, she remembers me as the "old truck guy" and GLANCED at them and said "Oh, that will be neat!" and proceeded to do her paperwork. It sounds like you have someone with a bad home life who wants to take it out on you by following everything to the letter. Try and find a branch office off the beaten path for your county and see if the will go with your tags.
Thanks for the info. I plan on going to another DMV later on this year. We will see what happens.
Shawn

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:44 AM   #12
white72c10

I'm from Kansas but I've got an original black and white 1972 tag on my truck. Found one on Craigslist, took it to the tag office, they charged me $57 for the first year tags and then $17 each year after that, same as switching to an antique tag. I've got a white truck so the tag looks really good on it.
white72c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:32 PM   #13
hounddogs!
Restoring it $200 at a time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by white72c10 View Post
I'm from Kansas but I've got an original black and white 1972 tag on my truck. Found one on Craigslist, took it to the tag office, they charged me $57 for the first year tags and then $17 each year after that, same as switching to an antique tag. I've got a white truck so the tag looks really good on it.
Did the initial $40 bump get you a 'specialty antique' registration? When I did my '68, I paid extra to have the title changed, then Douglas county assigned the tag number to my registration. Long story short, I'm not paying to renew each year. My auto renewal form from the state only shows the other two vehicles.

'68 5.3L-4 speed LWB C20; grandpa bought it for the farm in '71. Now LS 5.3, rather than 327.

DD '09 Pilot

Weekender '65 Skylark 300-4V-4 speed

Wife's '07 Lexus ES350; 117 actuator motors and I can't see the engine.

Son's '04 F250 SuperCab 6.0
hounddogs! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:40 PM   #14
Stock72c10
classic=of recognized value

Quote:
Originally Posted by white72c10 View Post
and then $17 each year after that, same as switching to an antique tag. I've got a white truck so the tag looks really good on it.
I have the same tag (white on black 72) on my truck and (at least in Sedgwick County) you are not required to pay registration fees on these after the first time (there is no penalty if you don't and there are no special year stickers to affix each year like the "antique" tags they sell). The lady at the tag office said they are working on a system to track these, but currently there isn't one. Once again, this does not apply to the tags they sell that say "antique" on them. Nice to see another fellow Kansan on the board (with a 72 C10 no less).
Attached Images

Last edited by Stock72c10; 11-05-2008 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Add Pic
Stock72c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:49 AM   #15
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Shawn- Call around and see what response you get. I have called several offices and received different answers.

My dilemma is I want them for my 77 Cheyenne. They didn't make plates with the dates stamped in them past 74 unless they are personalized or special interest.

I have some NOS 77 stickers that I plan to put on later plates and see if they will allow me to use them. I called one office that said they would. I will have to look it up again, but I believe it was out toward Tomball.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:17 PM   #16
leddzepp

Black and gold were used on vehicles through 1971 in California. 1972 is when they went to Blue and gold. You can get the best info right here www.dmv.ca.gov I believe they are going to let you put the black and gold plates back on, up to 1971, as this was the last year they were originally used...in July 2009. I am bummed because I have a 72, and the OG blue golds are not covered!

Last edited by leddzepp; 11-05-2008 at 01:18 PM.
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:19 PM   #17
longhorn70gmc

I have found the black and yellows in a junk yard around the 32nd street area. It has allot of our trucks in it. I have also found them at the Big Four at the Qual Quam car and truck shows and at Pomona car swap meets. Beware with the vendors, they have plastic type plates also and they cost a grip. If you Google the black and Yellows, you can find them there too. Good Luck, hope to here what you do and find.

1970 GMC Sierra Grande 402/TH400
(Longhorn)14 years and counting rebuild!
1975 (Build) Chevrolet SWB 4X4 350 SB Lifted 6 inches
1970 Ford F250 Ranger 390 BB
2010 Ford Super Duty F250 XLT W/4 inch lift kit and Pro Comp Tires
Hub Cap Freak!
I need another truck like I need another hole in the head!
I'M IN THE MARKET...AS IT WERE!
longhorn70gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:28 PM   #18
longhorn70gmc

Just found this on the internet. Hope it helps. This is just an example.
http://www.cr8apl8.com/

I looked on the web site and the vinatage plates are about $25 a piece.

MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT!!

The California DMV is accepting our font correct license plates as legal replacement plates! As of early 2008, we are able to recreate for you an old California license plate with an acceptable font similar to the font the State of Calfornia uses ... under the following conditions: you must have legal owner rights to the plate you wish to duplicate - or you may duplicate a cleared plate after receiving a clean clearance from the DMV.

This applies to our fiberglass reinforced .25 gage plates with raised letters as well as our .30 gage metal plates with our famous patent pending print process faux 3D letters!

PLEASE NOTE: We are not responsible for your DMV experience - so please don't call us. However our replica plates sure will get you out of a fix it ticket for no front plate which can cost you money.

California DMV Website

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check out the kudos we received from one of our recent clients ... the hit summer TV show Fear Itself - that is slated to be a mid-season replacement!

CLOSE WINDOW

1970 GMC Sierra Grande 402/TH400
(Longhorn)14 years and counting rebuild!
1975 (Build) Chevrolet SWB 4X4 350 SB Lifted 6 inches
1970 Ford F250 Ranger 390 BB
2010 Ford Super Duty F250 XLT W/4 inch lift kit and Pro Comp Tires
Hub Cap Freak!
I need another truck like I need another hole in the head!
I'M IN THE MARKET...AS IT WERE!

Last edited by longhorn70gmc; 11-06-2008 at 03:34 PM.
longhorn70gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:58 PM   #19
ckhd

Each state is different.

Some have mileage restrictions, etc...

AZ is awesome. The AZ statute says 25 years old, so a new batch can have it done every year. Also, there are no mileage restrictions. I have YOM plates on my '68 K20 and on my '72 'burb. It costs me $10 more per year because they consider it a vanity plate.

1968 K20 fleet
1969 K10 swb fleet
1972 K10 Suburban
1972 C10 lwb step
1992 K1500 'burb
1995 K2500 'burb
1997 C1500 'burb
1999 K1500
2000 K1500 'burb

Why do I own so many Suburbans?
ckhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:02 PM   #20
Jtrux
I'm a poor spectator

Here's mine

1993 Chevy 2500 4x4 ExCab LWB 454/NV4500 Tow rig

1977 Ford F100 2x4 LWB 1st truck I owned, still have it!!!

1979 Ford F150 4x4 SWB Built Ford Tough!!!

1971 Chevy Blazer 350 / SM465 / NP205 UNDER CONSTRUCTION Soon to have a LQ4 6.0!!!
Jtrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 05:46 PM   #21
67chevemall

forgot the pic ooops

Last edited by 67chevemall; 07-09-2010 at 02:26 PM.
67chevemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 05:42 PM   #22
67chevemall

1967 was the 100 year mark for CANADA. I am going with them.
Big show.
67chevemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 05:50 PM   #23
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

Arrow Re: Year Correct License Plate

here where I live in 1967 they also had a county plate that you got when you paid your county tax , I was able to find truck tag's (WITH A T ) and my Buchanan county plate and have them on my 67 , here it cost $11 buck's for a permenant registration but they have raised it now , here is a pic of mine ,

19673ontree is offline   Reply With Quote