The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-10-2022, 09:59 PM   #1
gschroeder

Fan High Speed Issue

I have a 1970 CST-10 with factory A/C. The fan works fine on low, and medium. However, the fan sometimes does not work on high. Sometimes it works on high just fine, and sometimes not (when its not working on high the fan is not moving at all). I double checked the ground wire on the blower motor, and it is hooked up with a good ground on both ends. Any suggestions on how to trouble shoot this? I did a some research on this problem, and it appears the "Blower High Speed Relay" may be bad. I see LMC actually calls the part "A/C Blower Relay" for $12.95. Thank you for your help in trouble shooting this. Thank you
gschroeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 10:32 PM   #2
davischevy

Re: Fan High Speed Issue

The relay is on the passenger side behind the glove box. Turn the blower on and reach up in there and wiggle the wiring harness. Sometimes it's a poor connection. If that doesn't do it the relay is probably bad. It's a pain to change because the screws are hard to get to.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 10:34 PM   #3
HO455
Post Whore

Here a link to an overview of the A/C fan circuit. It should help get you started.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=731399

Then if you do a search for A/C blower problem you will find many more threads on this issue.

Before buying a new relay make sure your current one has a good ground.

Good luck and please post your findings.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 10:47 PM   #4
davischevy

Yes, I forgot about the ground. The ground wire is attached to one of the screws and the screw have a tendency to strip.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 08:27 AM   #5
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Both of my 72s have the same issue. I have found that there must be a dirty/worn set of contacts in the high position of the blower switch. On both trucks I can wiggle the switch from mid to high and get high to work. Odd both are like this I know. I need to remove the switch on one and see if I can fix them.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 09:10 AM   #6
gschroeder

Guys, thank you for your advice. I will turn the fan switch on high, wiggle the wires on the "A/C Blower Relay", and make sure the ground is connected properly.

Can I ask 2 more questions:
1.) What is the "Resistor A/C Blower"? I saw this component on LMC truck website (part number 36-0708), and wasn't sure what it is (or if this could possibly be the problem).
2.) How can I confirm my "Fan Switch" is OK? I tried wiggling the fan switch between medium and high, and that didn't make the fan speed change from medium to high. My problem seems odd as sometimes the fan works fine on high, and other times it does not work at all on high. Low and medium speeds always work just fine.

Thanks again guys for all your help.

Thank you
Old 03-11-2022, 09:51 AM   #7
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschroeder View Post
Guys, thank you for your advice. I will turn the fan switch on high, wiggle the wires on the "A/C Blower Relay", and make sure the ground is connected properly.

Can I ask 2 more questions:
1.) What is the "Resistor A/C Blower"? I saw this component on LMC truck website (part number 36-0708), and wasn't sure what it is (or if this could possibly be the problem).
2.) How can I confirm my "Fan Switch" is OK? I tried wiggling the fan switch between medium and high, and that didn't make the fan speed change from medium to high. My problem seems odd as sometimes the fan works fine on high, and other times it does not work at all on high. Low and medium speeds always work just fine.

Thanks again guys for all your help.

Thank you
1. This device uses resistance to change the voltage to operate the fan motor. It has resistors tied to the terminals on the back side. They put them in the air flow to cool them. If I remember correctly relay is on the right side of the plenum next to the pass side vent.

2. If you have power coming from the high speed terminal of the switch then it should be sending power to the resistor. You will need a test light or meter to check this.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 01:36 PM   #8
gschroeder

Ryan, thank you for your help. I will trouble shoot the fan switch as you suggested. Do you have any advice on how to trouble shoot items 2 and 3 below:

1.) Fan Switch
Check for power at the high speed setting. If there is power, then switch is OK. If there is no power, switch is no good.

2.) Resistor A/C Blower
How to I confirm this part is OK or no good

3.) A/C Blower Relay
I will wiggle the wires and make sure the ground is OK. If this does not solve the problem, how do I confirm this part is OK or no good.

Thank you
Old 03-11-2022, 02:00 PM   #9
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschroeder View Post
Ryan, thank you for your help. I will trouble shoot the fan switch as you suggested. Do you have any advice on how to trouble shoot items 2 and 3 below:

1.) Fan Switch
Check for power at the high speed setting. If there is power, then switch is OK. If there is no power, switch is no good.

2.) Resistor A/C Blower
How to I confirm this part is OK or no good

3.) A/C Blower Relay
I will wiggle the wires and make sure the ground is OK. If this does not solve the problem, how do I confirm this part is OK or no good.

Thank you
#2 If low and medium speeds work then the resistor is good. The resistor is not part of the high speed circuit.

#3 Move the fans switch from medium to high while touching the relay. You will feel the relay "Click" if it is working. No click then check the small orange wire that is not in the 3 prong connector for 12 volts to a good ground with the switch in high speed. If voltage is good then relay is likely bad. Do resistance check from that same orange wire to the terminal with the ground wire on the relay to confirm. No continuity the relay is bad.

With the fan switch in medium check for 12 volts at the orange wire. No voltage then trace the wire back to the fuse block.
If 12 volts on the orange wire then move fan switch to high and check the center purple wire. No voltage then the relay is likely bad.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 11:24 PM   #10
gschroeder

HI455, I checked the ground and wire to relay and everything is OK. I also confirmed the orange wire is delivering power to relay on high fan speed every time as it should. The relay does click when I go from high to medium, but never clicks when I go from medium to high speed. I think will go ahead and replace the relay as it appears to be working erratically. I will let you know if the new relay fixed the problem. Thank you
Old 03-13-2022, 03:12 PM   #11
tdangle

I had a similar issue and discovered the power for the high speed bypasses the resistor and is fed from a large wire at connection by the fuse block. Mine had a bad connection and when it did work you could smell burning plastic. Re-did the connection and all is good. I believe I found that power for the 2 low speeds comes from a different connection

1970 Custom Camper/C20 , GM Crate 350/7004R, Dana 60, factory AC
tdangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 10:57 PM   #12
Ole Blue 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdangle View Post
I had a similar issue and discovered the power for the high speed bypasses the resistor and is fed from a large wire at connection by the fuse block. Mine had a bad connection and when it did work you could smell burning plastic. Re-did the connection and all is good. I believe I found that power for the 2 low speeds comes from a different connection
Yes, I had the same problem. The power for high speed is a different wire off of the fuse block. Mine was a bad connection and melted insulation. I cut it back a ways to good wire and spliced it. I have consistent high speed now.
70 C-10 - "Goldie" (Sold)
66 Impala Convertible
20 FLTRXS
Ole Blue 71 is offline   Reply With Quote