The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-01-2004, 01:30 AM   #1
silverado_ss03

Back In The Saddle Again

This is a post I guess you could say straight from the heart.

If you all picked up this months issue of Truckin' , the one with the lifted ram on the cover, take a look at the ground zero article. He is in a similar situation as me. I am a racer. I would rather have a fast truck than a "pretty" truck. As long as I feel good about it. I dream about cars 24/7 and I am bi-polar in a strange sort of way. Let's say I see a cool chevelle that I really like, well I bust out all of my magazines looking for chevelle parts. And for about a week I dream about how I want it. After any given time I see maybe a 96 impala, you know the big caprice look a likes, which is still and always will be my dream car. Well I spent about 6 months dreaming about almost every car except the thing I got now. My 84. If you all remember a while back I wrote an article all excited about my first truck. I was scared to put money into it because it's pretty rusty. When I read ground zero it was like a wake up call to stop dreaming. The editor of ground zero just bought an 85 c-10 and was telling how it was like he was back in the saddle again and it made me realize, being 15 I can't afford a 10-15 thousand dollar car ( a camaro was my second choice). I made an agreement with my mom and told her since the truck was free thanks to my good uncle, she can pay for all the body work and paint. Now after realizing what I got, I realized I'm glad I don't have a longbed which is the reason I didnt accept my dads 91 when it was offered to me. I am ready to hits the street/strip and have rust chunks fall off when I hit speed bumps but hopefully I'll pull at least a 12 second timeslip.
silverado_ss03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 05:36 AM   #2
TIMSPEED

Re: Back In The Saddle Again

Quote:
Originally posted by silverado_ss03
I am ready to hits the street/strip and have rust chunks fall off when I hit speed bumps but hopefully I'll pull at least a 12 second timeslip.
I hope you get there, it takes quite a bit to throw these big bricks into the 12's.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:24 AM   #3
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

What you need to know is most of us are somewhat like you. Of course there are guys here that own these trucks as daily drivers and come on here just to get info on keeping their truck maintained.

The majority of us dream in color too. We invision our trucks as firebreathing monster that can win any show or set records at any track. Just like you the gap between reality and dreams are pretty big.

My point is keep dreaming. Maybe you should try to stay focused on on dream at a time so you don't make yourself crazy. At your age it's hard to understand patience. This is something time will teach you to be comfortable with. I have learned that it's fun to play "what if" as long as you remember it's just a game....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 11:16 AM   #4
8t5Silverado
Mudslides 'r my specialty

I think we all do this.

The only thing is, if you obsess about you, it will only make you upset that you don't have something different.

The grass is always greener.

I do this with expensive racing bikes too. Gotta have this one or that one. Then when I get it, I want a different one. Be happy with what you have, otherwise you will never be happy.

I wish I had a shortbed, and I am constantly considering buying one instead of mine...

These trucks are cheap to fix up, so be patient, build a nice truck, and enjoy it.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/500339
8t5Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 07:26 PM   #5
KShortell

Quote:
Originally posted by N2TRUX
Of course there are guys here that own these trucks as daily drivers and come on here just to get info on keeping their truck maintained.
Yup, that's me-- although I do have a few "tweaks" here and there.

Whether a truck or a car, I'm a big fan of "sleepers". I'm the kind of goofball who dreams of stuffing 454s into Olds Custom Cruiser wagons...
Old 04-01-2004, 09:54 PM   #6
silverado_ss03

Thanks for the advice guys. I am pulling the original 305 by the end of this summer and I am going to work with the same uncle that gave me the truck. My estimations say that I will probably have $1,500 by the end of the summer. I am looking at a stroker kit either a 383 or 407. Some how the 407 kit costs less. It's only $1,530 and the 383 is $1,999. Yeah I know I forgot the fact that I need a block. The heads, cam and valvetrain kit by trick flow costs about $1,700. That won't be ready till I can get a new 700R4 to handle it all. Also my parents agreed to give me the 91 longbed and that will be my stock daily driver until I get my 84 going. Yes I will be using that high power set up daily. School is only 3 miles from my house. I should get there on both of my dual tanks.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:55 PM   #7
silverado_ss03

Oh yeah N2TRUX I think I saw your truck in Truckin' at a show that they were at. I'm pretty sure it was yours.