The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-29-2010, 11:24 PM   #1
wutnxt

Location: vancouver b.c....is the biggest place most people would know but I am actually out in the valley 45 mins away
New to the 58 scene

I currently have several 1965 and 1966 C10's that have been modified from light to pro street. But I recently found a 1958 under a car cover that was repainted and put under a cover in a heated shop and sat there for 20 years. So now I have this pristine 58 short box fleet side that was completely taken apart repainted and assembled that never recieved a engine or tranny and has been sitting for 20 years. The question I have is whats the way to go with this project?...Whats the combo for the front end?...do I clip it? I can do a 66 front end conversion in a day but have no idea what to do with this yet.I am on the 66 board alot and have learned alot from over there but I need to be skooled in 58's please.....
wutnxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:38 PM   #2
Red Foreman

Re: New to the 58 scene

Dont touch it, stuff it on a container ship & send it to me down under
Red Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:31 AM   #3
fuchster

Firsts post pictures. What are you going to use it for...and then go from there.
fuchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:53 AM   #4
Tchia65

Jealous
1972 Malibu wagon
Tchia65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:50 AM   #5
wutnxt

Location: vancouver b.c....is the biggest place most people would know but I am actually out in the valley 45 mins away

Hey your all great ...and...your all funny...

I will post a few pictures as soon as I can get some good ones, right now i only have a couple of pictures of it on my trailer in my phone. I am looking at something for the street where i can update the front end with disc brakes and lower it and toss in some power steering.....but then....another part of me say's put a straight 6 in it and leave it kind of stock. I haven't really seemed to find any kits for the front end like i can for the 65 and 66's. Well still have not decided what to do but i am still looking.....oh...I was going to take a better look at the engine mounts but I think it had a V8 in it. If it was a 6 does that except a V8 engine mount or does that all have to go ?..Is there a kit for a automatic cross member or do I have to make one ?
Old 01-15-2011, 07:50 PM   #6
wutnxt

Okay i said when I figured out how to make this work I would post pictures of it....So there it is. I still have no idea what to do with it just yet I am a die hard 65 to 66 kinda guy....as well as a 1969 camaro kinda guy. I do have a new vortec ( 60 miles ) thats been converted over to a carb with a turbo 400 behind it. Whats the deal on bolting a v-8 into one of these things?
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2011, 10:22 PM   #7
hsdropout

WOW that thing looks good! At least what can be seen from that one photo. Is the interior and undercarriage in the same shape as the body & paint?

Sure would like to see more pix of everything.

Nice find for sure.
Got any ideas on what happened to the original motor & tranny?

There is alot of discussion regarding leaving stock or customizing, tons of options, have fun whatever you do with it.
hsdropout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:28 PM   #8
wutnxt

The undercarriage was all cleaned and repainted and is perfect.....the interior is all there all clean but not original. I don't have any pictures of that right now but that will be in the next round. As far as engine and tranny thats long gone and I wouldn't have a clue where it ended up at. It could be restored for sure...but....thats so not me....But I do have a few trucks ahead of it so there is some time to decide what to do ...thanks by the way.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:25 PM   #9
pugs

i could be wrong but if the "V" emblem on the side of the fender it would most likely have been a factory V8 truck. post pics of the column and engine compartment
Old 01-15-2011, 11:27 PM   #10
wutnxt

Asome thanks....
I haven't looked at it very much and like i said ....the 58 thing is new to me. When i get a chance i will take some more pictures
Old 01-16-2011, 12:16 AM   #11
dicer

It would be the stupidest manuvor in the world to do anything else other than just stick the factory correct parts in it. If you want to make a custom something or rather theres plenty of others to use for that purpose. Take my word for it you will be sorry if you do mods to it.
Theres enough of the dumb looking ground scraping pickups around why ruin another stock frame? Find one thats already been butcherd. Hmmm whats been done to the interior?
If its factory stock not modified, I'll find a couple of your favorite years and trade ya.

Last edited by dicer; 01-16-2011 at 12:22 AM.
dicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:52 AM   #12
wutnxt

The inside looks to be as nice inside as it is on the outside the only thing I can notice is the seat has been recovered in something other then factory. I haven't decided what treatment it's going to get as of yet. But it's not going to be a perfectly restored truck....I do have other stock trucks, I have a 1927 Chevy thats all original and a runner and a 1954 single axle with a 883 Cubic inch 6 cylinder thats all original. But thanks for your opion and your input
Old 01-16-2011, 04:32 AM   #13
Tchia65

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicer View Post
It would be the stupidest manuvor in the world to do anything else other than just stick the factory correct parts in it. If you want to make a custom something or rather theres plenty of others to use for that purpose. Take my word for it you will be sorry if you do mods to it.
Theres enough of the dumb looking ground scraping pickups around why ruin another stock frame? Find one thats already been butcherd. Hmmm whats been done to the interior?
If its factory stock not modified, I'll find a couple of your favorite years and trade ya.
Quite an offensive post you have here Dicer. Since I'm building one of those dumb looking ground scraping trucks I feel compelled to jump in where I'm not wanted. I have had dozens of classic vehicles over the years from stock to almost unrecognizable; in fact I have never owned a car younger than me. My 58 is going to be my daily driver. Antiquated brakes, horrible steering, borderline unsafe handling, bad ride quality are not things I look for in a vehicle I plan on spending numerous hours commuting in. Solid axles and drum brakes are fine for parades and weekend trips to the hardware store but living with 50 year old engineering is not all it's cracked up to be. Completely original, numbers matching is fine if it's rare and it's an investment, but the fact is these trucks are not rare. They are beautiful and we love them, but they are miserable to drive compared to modern cars. Not to mention it's his truck to do what ever he wants with and doesn't need to be chastised by you.
1972 Malibu wagon
Tchia65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:45 AM   #14
entourageguy
Yellow truck club

Thumbs down Re: New to the 58 scene

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicer View Post
ouch that hurts ...

Brian ......

My hub garage address
http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/59apache
I gue$$ everything has it'$ price
ALL GONE NOW

59 Chev Apache
PRAISE THE LOWERED
350 700r lokar shifter
power MII front end, shockwaves
tilt, 4 wheel discs
4-link and bags
10 bolt limited

Last edited by entourageguy; 01-16-2011 at 07:46 AM.
entourageguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:40 PM   #15
dicer

Well I'm sorry to offend anyone, I'm just a bit poed since I've been looking and see lots of the ones people tried to modify, like sun roofs and what have you. As far as unsafe, I will agree that the master cylinder is just that and that is a necessary mod for the street and a driver. Straight axle and handling etc??? Gosh in the 4X4 world a nice straight axle is the desired item, and people are cruising everywhere with them just fine.
The steering is nice in these old trucks, and its so cool that they actually feel like a truck, unlike the junk made now. Just my opinion.
dicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:29 PM   #16
ratty 46

Anyone ... and I mean anyone can restore a car or truck to have it sit in a garage & collect dust ... kinda like this one but seeing that it's yours now ... I'd modify it to YOUR taste.

If that includes an updated drivetrain & braking system ... so be it. It'll also make it a bit safer to cruise. If that includes a altitude adjustment ... I'm with you.

The only thing to really do is .... DRIVE IT.

I like you have pro streeted more cars than I should have but they were mine. So ....DO IT. JUST DO IT.

Oh by the way ... my current project is a stock body '46 ford coupe that has a quarter sized rust hole thoughout the whole body ... what ya think I'm gonna do??? Can you say 16X33's??

Best of luck. Very nice truck to start with. I'm partial to '58's

PS: My daily driver - '87 GMC crewcab dually - on the ground!

Ratty 46
ratty 46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:53 PM   #17
wutnxt

Ratty...

Too bad your on the other coast if we met at a BBQ we would be friends.....My 1965 short box fleet side big window truck has a set of 33"X 21.5" underneath it at the back and a fire breathing Merlin 454 up front...I am thinking about putting a trailer hitch on it so i can tow my car trailer with my 1969 Z/28 painted to match.....But maybe the dually slammed crew cab idea is better.......lol...Thanks by the way for the comments
Old 01-17-2011, 12:52 AM   #18
ratty 46

Damn straight!! Your the kind of guy that I need to move in next door. My wife would probably see me less but ... WTF ... it's all about building cars, trucks & bikes.

Just for you - the crew & the '46 going under the knife ... I'll pro street anything if you'll buy the parts.

Again - good luck on the project.

Ratty 46
Old 01-17-2011, 01:00 AM   #19
wutnxt

Well...

Since all my other friends say I have more money then brains.... we could be a dangerous crew...lol..Thanks for the pictures and wow that body looks great
Old 01-17-2011, 01:10 AM   #20
ratty 46

Ya got that straight.

I'm a big fan of starting with the best foundation you can. Body on yours & mine are prime examples. Mine just spent a few more days out in the field!!

I've already amassed the chassisworks suspension goodies, BBC/4 speed & guages. I'm looking at wheels now.

keep us posted on the progress.

From across the shop:

Ratty 46

Last edited by ratty 46; 01-17-2011 at 01:13 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:47 AM   #21
ratty 46

Off topic ....

wunxt - my other sickness:

Ratty 46
Old 01-17-2011, 09:24 AM   #22
entourageguy
Yellow truck club

I guess at the end of the day it boils down to the fact that they are just trucks ......
what ever you do to them to make them more drivable and changed to suit your tastes more power to you.

Brian ......

My hub garage address
http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/59apache
I gue$$ everything has it'$ price
ALL GONE NOW

59 Chev Apache
PRAISE THE LOWERED
350 700r lokar shifter
power MII front end, shockwaves
tilt, 4 wheel discs
4-link and bags
10 bolt limited
entourageguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:29 AM   #23
Russell Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty 46 View Post
Off topic ....

wunxt - my other sickness:

Ratty 46
Ratty, Nice ride. Are you coming to the motorcycle show at the North Atlanta Trade ctr next week?
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:55 AM   #24
wutnxt

Entourageguy....

Ya i agree it's got to be something I like or why do I have it...nice ride by the way.

Ratty...
Look at you go...you my friend have the sickness.....lol....I am more a old skool cross ram kinda guy. Just finished off a 383 stroker thats heading to the dyno this week and not sure if it's going into one of the trucks or my 1969 Z/28
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2011, 11:52 PM   #25
ratty 46

Ah .... old school intake with an oil filler tube .... haven't had one since my '62 vette back in the 80's.

Nice looking mill.

Keep us posted on some progress.

Ratty 46