The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-23-2004, 09:06 PM   #1
72bigblock4wd

Longstep to Shortstep conversion??

I have a 67 GMC C15 longstep that I want to turn into a shortstep. I've got a friend with a steel fabrication shop that can handle shortening the frame, and another friend who is doing a frame off on a 72 shortfleet with the same drivetrain as mine who has an extra driveshaft. What I'm unsure about is cutting down the bedsides from long to short wheelbase. I'm thinking I should be able to dissassemble the bed and cut them down to length. Has anyone out there done this with a stepside bed or can someone with a shortstep tell me the measurements of the shortstep bedsides?? What I really need for measurements are how much to trim out from in front of and behind the fenders. I'm assuming it's the same 12" in front, 8" in rear, but I want to be sure before I start marking things to get cut down. Thanks!!
72bigblock4wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 11:10 PM   #2
beaterC10

I have shortened a long step from a 66 to fit a 54. I'm pretty sure the boxes are the same or real close from the 60'sthru the 80's. You can unbolt the front panel and then drill the spot welds that hold the front corners to the bedsides. You will need to bend a flange on the bedside after it is cutdown to mate with the corner post. Spot weld the corner posts and bolt the front panel on and your done.

I cut mine down when I was a kid with a tape measure, marker, and hack saw and it came out decent. The only trick is to get the bedside the correct length and getting a clean bend on the flange.

The problem with this techique is that you lose the front stake pockets, but you can probably find a way to restore them or remove the rears to match.

Last edited by beaterC10; 07-23-2004 at 11:13 PM.
beaterC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 12:48 AM   #3
dtlilly
Account Suspended

I think it is possible but not feasable. You should be able to buy a short step bed complete for much less than the time and effort needed to change a long step in to a short. Here's my advice for what is worth. A 67 truck is a one of a kind model year (and first year of our body style). I suggest instead of cutting up a rare 67, find a factory short fleet or step bed truck and restore that one. Your vin and door tag denote a long step, and even with a cut frame and cobbled together truck, you will still end up with a cobbled up truck no-one will want.
dtlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 08:35 AM   #4
jorgensensc

To add to wha dtlilly is saying, The longstep is becoming a hard to find model. It would probably be worth more in the long run to keep it the way ot is. Or even possibly sell your long step and buy a short step, that way you know the bed is the correct size and fit. Just my .02

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 09:12 AM   #5
72bigblock4wd

Thanks for the advice everyone. dtlilly and jorgensensc, my 67 GMC actually is a fleetside originally, otherwise I probably would keep the longstep. My reason for asking was to figure out if this could be done in such a way to make it look original, without really hacking the bed up. I would love to get a short fleet bed, but they're nearly impossible to find in this neck of the woods, and I really would want one that's relatively rust free. Thanks for the rundown on how to do this beaterC10, I appreciate it. I'll have to decide what to do later, I may end up just leaving the frame & bed as is for now, but the shortsteps just look so much better than a longstep, especially when they're setting about 3/3-3/4 the way I hope to have mine setting when it's done.
Old 07-24-2004, 10:17 AM   #6
jcueckert13

longstep bed sides can be bought after market but the steps cant. if you do cut the bed DO NOT CUT THE STEPS in the long run long steps like mine will probably be worth more but for the sake of those of us who have them save the steps
1970 C10 longbed stepside (in pieces)
1976 Dodge Dart
1963 Dodge Dart

jcueckert13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 11:54 AM   #7
72bigblock4wd

jcueckert13, I don't have the steps for it, if I did I might be more apt to keep it the way it is now. Rest assured, if I had them I would not cut them down! Given all the work and potential pitfalls that beater C10 pointed out, I will probably just leave the bed alone and sell it if I end up cutting the frame down to a SWB.
Old 07-24-2004, 12:16 PM   #8
gabet40

i dont know if anyone else mentioned this but dont u also have to cut on both sides of the fenders? id advise not to do it either

Former owner of:
69 1/2 ton, change from long/fleet to short/fleet, shaved door handles, shaved tailgate, 4/6 drop, power windows, 700r4
72 blazer, 350 with Holley Commander 950 DFI, crane energizer cam, 350 tranny, dual sanderson blockhuggers/magnaflow exhaust
gabet40 is offline   Reply With Quote