The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-20-2019, 09:12 PM   #1
ljcasey1

New guy here...with a Stock restore....maybe next year???

I got this about 10 years ago, and only put about 5000 miles since then. I think it has only gone over once. 95% stock, and even have the stock hubcaps, but like the American Racing Ansen Mags on it....my one guilty pleasure.... This is factory paint and interior....needs work, with rusty cab corners and rocker panels, but a truck this stock HAS to be restored as such, right? I have limited funds and tools and motivation, but hopefully you all might inspire me to get this back to the pics from 71 when they used this as the show truck in the ads....
ljcasey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 09:14 PM   #2
ljcasey1

Re: New guy here...with a Stock restore....maybe next year???

am I too new to post pics??? If so, the first two pics are in the welcome area....
Old 12-20-2019, 09:26 PM   #3
ljcasey1

did this work???
Attached Images

Old 12-20-2019, 09:28 PM   #4
ljcasey1

ahh....my bad
left/right...eh?
Attached Images

Old 12-20-2019, 09:31 PM   #5
ljcasey1

interior shot
Attached Images

Old 12-20-2019, 10:39 PM   #6
jocko

RESTORE! Welcome to the forum, nice truck!
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 03:07 AM   #7
72 tigger

Welcome- good looking truck
Kirk
72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 10:11 AM   #8
Willys_MB

My opinion is you should do it, but you said something that worries me. You have limited motivation. These types of projects can drag on and if you are unmotivated then you may never complete it or it will take years. It takes a lot of time, not to mention tools, to restore a vehicle. It’s pretty common to see these trucks for sale halfway through a restoration because the owner lost interest. You sound pretty excited about the truck and I’d hate for that to happen to you.

This forum has tons of valuable information and lots of very helpful people, but you have to realize it may be years before it’s back on the road. If you can’t handle that, just keep driving it and enjoying it until you can pay someone else to do the work.

Last edited by Willys_MB; 12-21-2019 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Spelling
Willys_MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 10:39 AM   #9
Ptjsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willys_MB View Post
My opinion is you should do it, but you said something that worries me. You have limited motivation. These types of projects can drag on and if you are unmotivated then you may never complete it or it will take years. It takes a lot of time, not to mention tools, to restore a vehicle. It’s pretty common to see these trucks for sale halfway through a restoration because the owner lost interest. You sound pretty excited about the truck and I’d hate for that to happen to you.

This forum has tons of valuable information and lots of very helpful people, but you have to realize it may be years before it’s back on the road. If you can’t handle that, just keep driving it and enjoying it until you can pay someone else to do the work.
Great advise!
Ptjsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 12:47 PM   #10
davepl

Don't start something you won't finish... start with smaller projects, weekend stuff with a beginning and an end and see how THAT goes before taking the whole thing apart!
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 12:56 PM   #11
LuckyScott

Welcome. My advise would be to just drive it and fix what needs fixing as it comes up. Don't worry about the end result, but instead focus on enjoying the truck.
Its the journey, not the end result that matters.
I have three trucks, a 72 suburban, an 72 Blazer, and a 70 pickup.
I have had the 72 suburban for over 25 years. It had 80 thousand original miles on it when I got it and it now has 233,000. I drive it all the time and over the years it got nicer and nicer. I finally stepped up and had a shop do the interior and its a really nice truck. But its the memories of the trips and adventures and people I met along the way that is the most important.
You have a nice truck there. Just drive it and enjoy it.
LuckyScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 01:22 PM   #12
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyScott View Post
Welcome. My advise would be to just drive it and fix what needs fixing as it comes up. Don't worry about the end result, but instead focus on enjoying the truck.
Its the journey, not the end result that matters.
I have three trucks, a 72 suburban, an 72 Blazer, and a 70 pickup.
I have had the 72 suburban for over 25 years. It had 80 thousand original miles on it when I got it and it now has 233,000. I drive it all the time and over the years it got nicer and nicer. I finally stepped up and had a shop do the interior and its a really nice truck. But its the memories of the trips and adventures and people I met along the way that is the most important.
You have a nice truck there. Just drive it and enjoy it.
This ^^^

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 01:40 PM   #13
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
Don't start something you won't finish... start with smaller projects, weekend stuff with a beginning and an end and see how THAT goes before taking the whole thing apart!
Exactly. My friend has a nice 70 SWB. Or at least it used to be nice. It's been blown apart in his garage for at least 25 years with no end in sight.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 01:45 PM   #14
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Nice truck. If you haven't already, you may find the build sheet underneath or behind the seat. It's very fragile, so be careful.

You don't have to build it stock, but sounds like you want to and I'm a believer. I've never built a custom truck, but factory has to be easier.

Only you can decide on a full restoration. It's a tremendous commitment, can take many years and requires lots of time and $. I'll be in mine approaching 50K, though I'm probably over the top. That's without the engine.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 05:11 PM   #15
ljcasey1

Thanks for the replies. Believe me, I know the pitfalls in front of me, and that you have to have a PLAN to have any chance of following through.

That said, I've owned this truck for 10 years, and another 10 to rebuild it doesn't scare me. It would just be a major help to have someone nearby to be a sounding board/mentor. I have one person of that ilk, but he lives better part of 50 miles away.

I plan to do things in stages. The first thing is to finish the freaking yard project where I'm hauling dirt, and to relieve Ms Cheyenne of any further crap projects.... Then, start with the sheet metal in the cab corners, rocker panels/cab supports, and the battery support.

I did a partial rebuild on the Rochester with a new brass float courtesy of my brother(unfortunately he lives 1000 miles away) last year. She runs well, but I need to adjust the mixture and idle.

Just received some parts/tools from Brothers and USA1 for the front windshield weatherstripping and an options guide for 71 is on the way.

I don't believe I am capable/can afford a 100% factory showroom stock truck, but would like to get fairly close. My Retentive side wants to do a frame off, but like you all say....that is something to avoid too early in the process. Doing stuff incrementally at first is the smart way to get acquainted to the ways of restoration. However, those pics from the 71 brochure of THIS truck(not the actual one, but identical in every respect) make one appreciate what I have. Wish me luck.

LJC
Maryville,IL
Old 12-21-2019, 05:14 PM   #16
ljcasey1

Here are the two pics from the brochure for 71....pretty sweet in my opinion...but gonna keep the mags for now. I do have the stock hubcaps in the garage....
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2019, 05:16 PM   #17
ljcasey1

Oh, and I learned the valuable lesson of biting off more than I can chew with an earlier project that fell by the wayside...sold off to my brother in Florida, and was stolen from his Father-in-law's business in Tampa some 15+ years ago.
Attached Images