The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-19-2012, 11:44 AM   #1
lpguy

Worth the drive?

Ok here's the deal important looking at a 72 jimmy for a possible dd vehicle.. I found one 6 hours away that according to seller has a fresh hugger orange paint job, new 33" bfg ats fresh rebuilt 350, stock axles 465 trans and 203 transfercase, no a/c, a missing radiator (stolen) , and a cracked hardtop . What has me worried is possibility of fresh paint to cover rust... And no radiator so no test driving before i buy unless i buy a radiator and bring it with me. I figure top shouldn't be too hard to fix. He's asking 3500 now because he said he's broke and needs cash. My goal is to sell my current dd truck for 11k-13k and use money on a blazer /jimmy to use for dd. What do y'all t hink about this deal? what problem ar eas should i ask for more pictures before i drive all the way there to check it out? Here's thevonly pics i have right now..

Posted via Mobile Device
lpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:51 AM   #2
Sillyoldman

Re: Worth the drive?

That's a tough call. I'd have a hard time spending that kind of money on something I couldn't drive. The owner has to realize that it would be monetarily beneficial for himself to have it running unless there's a reason he don't want it to.

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:53 AM   #3
landy

Price seems high to me for a non-running rig. I picked up a good running '72, all original, 350, 4 sp, A/C (doesn't work), some rust/rot in rockers, and needing some TLC for $2500.

I share your concern over the fresh paint hiding something. Given the fact that these rigs almost always have rot/rust problems, you'd want to inspect the body very closely. And, of course, not being able to start or drive it could hide all kinds of major problems.

Get lots more pics before you spend the drive time and gas money to look at it.
landy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:54 AM   #4
71swb4x4

I would have a board member close to it check it out for you before you drive the six hours. A couple things that may be nothing, but kind of bother me:
overspray on the hood hinges and firewall
ugly mirrors put back on after new paint??
non-stock drivetrain (transfer case at the least) how was it put in? Correctly?
no interior (high backs if they are your thing great, if not you are starting over)

It looks like if you are lucky you have fresh paint, but not much else. You need a top, interior, and possibly drivetrain.

Now if the body is done right, with quality paint (which the photos can't tell us), this could be a decent deal.

He isn't asking $3,500 to give you the deal of a lifetime, he is asking $3,500 because he was getting no takers at whatever he asked for it before.

If a DD is what you want, and you have $11,000 - $13,000 to spend find something more solid and in running condition.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #5
dan42

The fresh paint is disturbing as well. I would like to see pictures of it before it was painted...
Posted via Mobile Device
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:03 PM   #6
lpguy

i wish this one was a little closer to look at.. http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290539
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-19-2012, 12:12 PM   #7
71swb4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpguy View Post
i wish this one was a little closer to look at.. http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290539
Posted via Mobile Device
That is a fly-in and drive home truck. Have a board member check that one out for you. It looks like a great truck if it's solid. There is certainly NOT a shortage of pictures for that one.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:19 PM   #8
lpguy

That's one hell of a drive home lol 36 hours according to mapquest.... I wish every seller included that many pictures without asking...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-20-2012, 10:54 AM   #9
Firebirdjones

Quote:
That's one hell of a drive home lol 36 hours according to mapquest.... I wish every seller included that many pictures without asking...
Posted via Mobile Device
That's not that bad. If you are seriously looking you'll have to consider traveling for sure.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:00 AM   #10
Burt4x4

Sence when did a 72 K5 come with a NP203 xfer? Typo?

I would keep looking if yer after a DD (the first rig in this post)

Old 02-19-2012, 12:44 PM   #11
47thriftmaster

You can get even more pictures on that one if you pull up his build thread here, in the blazer build section. As far as the other one goes, if he is not willing to send pics something is wrong and I would start looking somewhere else. Good luck

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
47thriftmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:04 PM   #12
lpguy

K y'all are having same thoughts i was having in back of my mind... He doesn't seem very eager to send more pictures either...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-19-2012, 12:56 PM   #13
47thriftmaster

I think it's this one: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=451643
47thriftmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:30 PM   #14
lpguy

thanks for the link didn't know he had build thread here... nice seeing exactly where a truck came from
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-19-2012, 02:41 PM   #15
Firebirdjones

All these 40 year old trucks are going to have been painted at some point in their life unless you find an original "survivor" truck.

So really the fresh paint isn't an issue. They all need it at some point. You just have to look it over really well (in person) and see if it's a quality job.

If it's a well done paint job, that alone is more than worth the $3500 asking price. I paint cars for a living, to do one completely and do it right would be at least that much money, sometimes more depending on the work involved to get it ready for paint.

If you are serious about the truck you'll have to gather all the info and pics you can and then decide for yourself if it's worth the drive.

I can tell you from my experiences, when I lived in Ohio I spent 25 years traveling for vehicles out west and driving 2,500 miles or more on dozens of occasions. In most all instances it turned out to be worth the trip. Can't go wrong with rust free sheetmetal

Hope it works out for you...
Old 02-20-2012, 03:35 AM   #16
mustardjimmy71
toys'r'us

i would be more concerned with how it runs and drives. If it cant come home under its own power that price has to go down. Too many what ifs.

Ask to see picks of the rocker boxes underneath, the front floor by the kick panels, and the rear bed floor by the wheel wells and the tailgate, and all over that windshield frame. the windshield frame is a bad one.

the red truck with the bed liner top was fixed up with the intention of selling.
mustardjimmy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:57 AM   #17
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustardjimmy71 View Post
i would be more concerned with how it runs and drives. If it cant come home under its own power that price has to go down. Too many what ifs.

A $3500 asking price and it has to run? You'll be hard pressed to find one clean and solid that also runs with a price that low. You don't get much for $3500 nowadays, that's usually "BYOT" money (bring your own trailer)
Old 02-20-2012, 06:38 PM   #18
lpguy

well the seller found a radiator he's gonna install... also im pretty sure 203 is a typo... Found out that he has it stored in a garage 30 min away from his house... Im. really not needing one to be completely done but i don't want one that needs rust repair right away.. and i can drive while working on it... still cruising the net daily looking for something..
Posted via Mobile Device